SR60-Mod
Sep 13, 2010 at 9:54 PM Post #181 of 5,004
I know this has been asked a lot, but is there a guide for taking off the front part so I can get inside and clean out all the hairs. Also, a little bit more urgent is the fact that i broke off the front of my pencil underneath the membrane (I think that's what it is called) and it is rattling about in there.

Sep 14, 2010 at 12:21 AM Post #182 of 5,004

I know this has been asked a lot, but is there a guide for taking off the front part so I can get inside and clean out all the hairs. Also, a little bit more urgent is the fact that i broke off the front of my pencil underneath the membrane (I think that's what it is called) and it is rattling about in there.

How did you do that?  Were you venting the driver backs or just out of better things to do?  I don't mean to make light of your dilemma but it's a head-scratcher nonetheless.

The easiest way to retrieve something caught inside is to play the BB game with your Grado, gently shaking the object toward an escape hatch of sorts.  If you've got something dropped into the front, it must mean that the front driver cloth is off, at least somewhere, in which case you let gravity roll the object out of the same holes into which the pencil lead dropped.  If it fell through one of the holes in the back, you should again hold the assembly in such a way as to coax the pencil lead over one of those holes so it can drop out.

Sep 14, 2010 at 12:32 AM Post #183 of 5,004
Wooden bracelets are all the rage again these days?  
gs1000.gif

I found a new application for these rings, one which got me excited - until I ran up against some logistical challenges.  I noticed that the old PS1 and HP1000 Grados had a wonderful gimbal - a true gimbal - of gyroscopic rings.  The outer ring provided lateral movement while the inner cup enjoyed vertical movement.  The plastic Grados were an imitation but without the magic.  Their gimbals were even cut in half and reduce to a clamp.

The creation of large wooden rings opened a door to a new take on the gimbal.  By removing the plastic ends of the gimbals and by drilling the tops of the rings, I was able to make them fit their new role as the outer ring of a wooden gimbal.

The next step was to drill lateral holes to attach the chambers with the pivot set for vertical motion.

Finding the right pins for the lateral pins was a bear.  I thought local places, like Lowe's, would be more helpful but I didn't find any hardware there that really fit the bill.

Sep 14, 2010 at 1:26 AM Post #184 of 5,004

Quote:

How did you do that?  Were you venting the driver backs or just out of better things to do?  I don't mean to make light of your dilemma but it's a head-scratcher nonetheless.

The easiest way to retrieve something caught inside is to play the BB game with your Grado, gently shaking the object toward an escape hatch of sorts.  If you've got something dropped into the front, it must mean that the front driver cloth is off, at least somewhere, in which case you let gravity roll the object out of the same holes into which the pencil lead dropped.  If it fell through one of the holes in the back, you should again hold the assembly in such a way as to coax the pencil lead over one of those holes so it can drop out.

Ha, yeah I was venting the driver and someone suggested I use a pen instead of a knife. All I could find was a mechanical pencil. I poked through the cloth and the tip just broke off. Not even the lead, the end of the plastic tip broke off and fell inside. 
blink.gif

I'm pretty much the unluckiest person on the planet, so I've gotten used to things like this happening to me. 
smile.gif
 I'm not worried, I figure I can coax it out with a lot of patience.

Sep 14, 2010 at 10:00 AM Post #186 of 5,004
Those ain't even Grado's anymore! I think they're more closely related to this:

Galactic Woody Grados!

Sep 14, 2010 at 10:03 AM Post #187 of 5,004
BTW, if you know of some leather worker, maybe you can ask them to create a brown wooden croc headband like this:

These are my friend Racio's MS Pros, that brown leather headband would suit your "GW1000" Grado beautifully. 

Sep 14, 2010 at 9:17 PM Post #189 of 5,004
I found that venting 4 holes provided the best results. Also, taking the front cloth cleared up the sound considerably. 

Has anyone taken the plastic between the driver and your ears out? I am really curious as to the results of this.

Sep 15, 2010 at 5:58 AM Post #190 of 5,004
^ I did, killed a driver in the process. It's hard to say whether it's an improvement when you have just one driver but I recommend you not to do it. It is very easy to damage the driver.

Sep 15, 2010 at 12:45 PM Post #191 of 5,004
Only if you use wrong tools and/or if you aren't careful. I recommend using peaked things that are wider than the holes.

Sep 15, 2010 at 6:36 PM Post #192 of 5,004

Quote:
^ I did, killed a driver in the process. It's hard to say whether it's an improvement when you have just one driver but I recommend you not to do it. It is very easy to damage the driver.

I have to open it up. the plastic end of my pencil is rattling around, kinda like when you have a hair in your driver, only it's on the backside where you can't reach in and grab it. All I need to do is lift up the back and let it fall out. That couldn't cause problems, right?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back