SR60-Mod
Sep 7, 2010 at 2:24 PM Post #151 of 5,004

Quote:
I couldn't resist.  She was out buying a dress.  I got my son to come home and help me put it together.  He brought a buddy.  They went to town on it.  When they were done, I just had to fire it up.  I made 7 shells out of a half-sheet of oak.  When it was over, we all rushed around to remove every trace of the sawdust Hell we had created in what will always be "her" house.

I still got busted.  She could hear me sanding when she called.  It didn't take long to figure out that where there's sanding, there's cutting.  But it was worth it.

hahaha! You're one brave man Billavideo! You're making me want to buy myself a lathe machine for Christmas. 
biggrin.gif

Sep 7, 2010 at 4:15 PM Post #152 of 5,004
The mod on my phones is pretty much complete now, 

Photo attached.

The weight is upto 575g including cable, but so comfy.

Thanks for the help Bila, I turned a mediocre pair of cans into something stunning with your help!

http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/u0I_8xDKRw8lBMDm5TdEn_0dmEyBnn1tsI5ITlyQu2g?feat=directlink

Sep 7, 2010 at 4:22 PM Post #153 of 5,004
WOW! You can make a business with the mass production of those cups.
I'll be your first customer (for a discount)
wink.gif

Sep 7, 2010 at 6:46 PM Post #155 of 5,004

Quote:
cool thanks!

I just used a bit of PVC pipe cut down...I would normally charge $600, but for head-fi my magnum pipe is going for $400 :wink:

Sorry, I was talking to bilavideo and his machine of mass production/destruction, haha.

Sep 8, 2010 at 6:24 PM Post #158 of 5,004
Quote:
Originally Posted by tisb0b  
" The fact that they are wood =P"

Wood does turn the badass factor up to 10. When he makes cups out of titanium (aluminum has been done), the knob will surely go to 11. :)

Sep 8, 2010 at 6:44 PM Post #159 of 5,004
Quote:
Wood does turn the badass factor up to 10. When he makes cups out of titanium (aluminum has been done), the knob will surely go to 11. :)

Titanium? Where's the excitement there? How about some platinum ear cups, to keep costs down? You could get two small (1-2cm diameter) diamonds to substitute the Grado buttons as well.

Sep 8, 2010 at 6:49 PM Post #161 of 5,004
Quote:
Originally Posted by tisb0b  
The fact that they are wood =P

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoetheArachnid  

" Titanium? Where's the excitement there? How about some platinum ear cups, to keep costs down? You could get two small (1-2cm diameter) diamonds to substitute the Grado buttons as well."

It's all about weight. Platinum is heavy. Carbon fiber would be pretty sweet also.

Sep 8, 2010 at 6:55 PM Post #163 of 5,004
Quote:
It's all about weight. Platinum is heavy. Carbon fiber would be pretty sweet also.

I am aware of this
beyersmile.png

Oddly, I was not entirely serious.

Although I do quite seriously agree with carbon fibre. Anybody know what kind of acoustic properties it's got?

Sep 8, 2010 at 7:39 PM Post #164 of 5,004

I must confess, that laser thing is extremely cool.

Thanks.  It certainly lends a cool aura to the work.

hahaha! You're one brave man Billavideo! You're making me want to buy myself a lathe machine for Christmas. 
biggrin.gif

Do it and don't look back.

WOW! You can make a business with the mass production of those cups.  I'll be your first customer (for a discount)
wink.gif

Thanks!  I'm not a member of the trade, so to speak, but I'll be happy to help a Headfier mod what he's got.  The cool thing about HeadFi is the free exchange of ideas, experiences and sometimes know-how.  Just last night, I got some great tips on how to properly candy up the shells.  The difference between you and me may be the amount of time I've been obsessing over making these mods - and the drill press.

Originally Posted by JoetheArachnid /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am aware of this
beyersmile.png

Oddly, I was not entirely serious.  Although I do quite seriously agree with carbon fibre. Anybody know what kind of acoustic properties it's got?

Carbon fiber/fibre would be fantastic.  They make cellos out of it.  It's expensive but its acoustic properties are far superior to plastic.  I'm enamored with the aluminum housing of the PS1 and HP1000.  If I had an "in" with the world of metal machining, I'd be all over that.  But carbon fiber represents a cool opportunity, since it's something you can mold right off any model, provided you're willing to cure and cut it along the way.  The interesting thing about that is that ALL of the Grados between the SR60 and the SR225 were patterned after the PS1/HP1000 frames.  

Take a close look; the plastic Grados are basically an attempt to bring these aluminum wonders down to the people.  Much of the Grado product line tiers downward instead of up - taking as its model, the premiere product and then cutting away at the layers to provide some version of it at each price level.  This is why critics scratch their heads and wonder how any Grado fan can tell these products apart (It takes a bit of discernment to do that, and it helps to be a fan with a little too much time on your hands).  Consider the fact that Grado came out with the RS1 before introducing the RS2, or that Grado came out with the PS1000 before it came out with the HF2.  Grado scales down much more than he scales up.  He delivers the primo product to his version of the "early adopters" and then provides a knock-off of his own classic product - at a lower price tier.  The "i" series Grados are largely mock-ups of the 325, with its yo-yo looking contours.  Ironically, while the PS1000 is modeled after the GS1000, the GS1000 bears an interesting resemblance to the 325 - and the aluminum shells on my PS1000 are - in some ways - massive versions of the 325 shell.

Something in me just adores the aluminum housing of the PS1 and HP1000.  If I could machine something like that, I'd be in hog heaven.  But with carbon fiber, you can actually take anything between the SR60 and the SR225 and use it as a model.  Correct me if I'm wrong, but it seems like whatever you fabricated from the pre-"i" versions would be no less a copy of the PS1 and HP1000 models than if you'd used them as molds.  Carbon fiber would be a very cool threshold to cross.  I want to do it.  I just need to do wood first.

Sep 8, 2010 at 10:07 PM Post #165 of 5,004
Man, I cannot believe you got away wih using that drill press inside. I have that same model and the dust it produces in my garage is impressive. I cannot imagine in my dining room.

Have you notice the tendency to drift left at medium speeds? Anyway, be sure to pick up a drill press vice. It really makes a noticeable difference in accuracy. Also stock up on batteries. The laser burns though them like candy.

Carry on! You make us all proud!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back