SR60-Mod
Sep 9, 2010 at 12:50 AM Post #166 of 5,004
http://carbonmods.com/ go go go make the first pair of carbon fibre grados and you will have the most badass pair of SR225's: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IAdVO8Rkv6c 

Quote:
Carbon fiber/fibre would be fantastic.  They make cellos out of it.  It's expensive but its acoustic properties are far superior to plastic.  I'm enamored with the aluminum housing of the PS1 and HP1000.  If I had an "in" with the world of metal machining, I'd be all over that.  But carbon fiber represents a cool opportunity, since it's something you can mold right off any model, provided you're willing to cure and cut it along the way.  The interesting thing about that is that ALL of the Grados between the SR60 and the SR225 were patterned after the PS1/HP1000 frames.  

Sep 9, 2010 at 3:37 AM Post #167 of 5,004

Quote:
Man, I cannot believe you got away wih using that drill press inside. I have that same model and the dust it produces in my garage is impressive. I cannot imagine in my dining room.

Propably he has an oldfashioned wedlock with a humble wife.
evil_smiley.gif

Sep 10, 2010 at 5:42 AM Post #169 of 5,004
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilavideo  

" Thanks.  It certainly lends a cool aura to the work.

Do it and don't look back.

Thanks!  I'm not a member of the trade, so to speak, but I'll be happy to help a Headfier mod what he's got.  The cool thing about HeadFi is the free exchange of ideas, experiences and sometimes know-how.  Just last night, I got some great tips on how to properly candy up the shells.  The difference between you and me may be the amount of time I've been obsessing over making these mods - and the drill press.

Carbon fiber/fibre would be fantastic.  They make cellos out of it.  It's expensive but its acoustic properties are far superior to plastic.  I'm enamored with the aluminum housing of the PS1 and HP1000.  If I had an "in" with the world of metal machining, I'd be all over that.  But carbon fiber represents a cool opportunity, since it's something you can mold right off any model, provided you're willing to cure and cut it along the way.  The interesting thing about that is that ALL of the Grados between the SR60 and the SR225 were patterned after the PS1/HP1000 frames.  
Take a close look; the plastic Grados are basically an attempt to bring these aluminum wonders down to the people.  Much of the Grado product line tiers downward instead of up - taking as its model, the premiere product and then cutting away at the layers to provide some version of it at each price level.  This is why critics scratch their heads and wonder how any Grado fan can tell these products apart (It takes a bit of discernment to do that, and it helps to be a fan with a little too much time on your hands).  Consider the fact that Grado came out with the RS1 before introducing the RS2, or that Grado came out with the PS1000 before it came out with the HF2.  Grado scales down much more than he scales up.  He delivers the primo product to his version of the "early adopters" and then provides a knock-off of his own classic product - at a lower price tier.  The "i" series Grados are largely mock-ups of the 325, with its yo-yo looking contours.  Ironically, while the PS1000 is modeled after the GS1000, the GS1000 bears an interesting resemblance to the 325 - and the aluminum shells on my PS1000 are - in some ways - massive versions of the 325 shell.
Something in me just adores the aluminum housing of the PS1 and HP1000.  If I could machine something like that, I'd be in hog heaven.  But with carbon fiber, you can actually take anything between the SR60 and the SR225 and use it as a model.  Correct me if I'm wrong, but it seems like whatever you fabricated from the pre- "i" versions would be no less a copy of the PS1 and HP1000 models than if you'd used them as molds.  Carbon fiber would be a very cool threshold to cross.  I want to do it.  I just need to do wood first."

Go Bill go!

Earlier in this thread I said 'Woody! Woody! Woody!' Now it's Carbon! Carbon! Carbon! :). I would absolutely be the first in line to buy a complete Bilavideo modded carbon fiber Grado! Consider this my preorder. Lmao!

Good stuff.

Sep 10, 2010 at 6:03 AM Post #170 of 5,004
Then I'm reserving my spot for second in line =P

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilavideo  

Go Bill go!

Earlier in this thread I said 'Woody! Woody! Woody!' Now it's Carbon! Carbon! Carbon! :). I would absolutely be the first in line to buy a complete Bilavideo modded carbon fiber Grado! Consider this my preorder. Lmao!

Good stuff.

Sep 10, 2010 at 12:30 PM Post #171 of 5,004
Thirded. Or whatever the correct term happens to be. Carbon Grados... you could almost wear them in public!

Sep 11, 2010 at 1:33 PM Post #172 of 5,004
Thanks, guys.  It sounds like a plan.  Today, I'm finishing up candy-coating the shells, with six hours between coats.  I'm pretty psyched.  It's going to be a candy-coated weekend.

The carbon-fiber thing is totally do-able.  I'm going to place an order for a yard of carbon fiber.  We'll see where things go from there.

Sep 11, 2010 at 5:15 PM Post #174 of 5,004
Man, I would really love to see and hear a Carbon Fiber Grado! 

Sep 11, 2010 at 8:57 PM Post #175 of 5,004

I can not wait to see the results! 

popcorn.gif

popcorn.gif

popcorn.gif

Man, I would really love to see and hear a Carbon Fiber Grado! 

Let's make it a reality.  Who'd have thought I'd wake up one day and find my house littered with these . . . . 

I'm still working on these, and they reflect the imperfections of my hands and a never-ending process of perfection.

In this one, you can see a beveling I put in to hold drivers liberated from their plastic.

Today, I finally got a chance to get off my duff and do something with these ideas that have been crawling around in my head - and it was grand!

Even with oak, rather than mahogany - and with my drips and areas to sand down - this has been so much fun to get into.

Sep 11, 2010 at 9:05 PM Post #176 of 5,004

These haven't been completely sanded, stained or lacquered but they're a really cool experiment-gone-right.  I place them around my bowls and I'm able to (1) get the pressure off my ears; (2) put more slam into the bass; and (3) adjust the ear/driver distance to get more soundstage without losing my Grado.  I'm going to incorporate them with my SR60i mod.

Sep 11, 2010 at 9:37 PM Post #177 of 5,004
Nice.

To remove the rest of the glue from the screens, take the canistor off and grab a lighter.  20 seconds of open flame and all traces of glue are gone. Wipe off residue and you are good to go...

Sep 12, 2010 at 12:29 AM Post #178 of 5,004
Nice.

To remove the rest of the glue from the screens, take the canistor off and grab a lighter.  20 seconds of open flame and all traces of glue are gone. Wipe off residue and you are good to go...

Fantastic advice!  Thanks for that!  I'll give that a try.  This is why I keep coming back to HeadFi.

Sep 12, 2010 at 9:29 PM Post #180 of 5,004
Wooden bracelets are all the rage again these days?  
gs1000.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back