SR60-Mod part II
Aug 17, 2013 at 10:05 PM Post #3,196 of 3,353
Hello guys!

My Grado SR60i will be coming in this coming WEDNESDAY!!!!! So I have a few question to ask before modding the Grado (probably just the first two ones: Quater mod and removing the cloth filter )! My question is if dust gets in, what should I do to clean it? Mouth to blow it? :rolleyes:

Billson :)

Aug 17, 2013 at 10:30 PM Post #3,197 of 3,353
Don't remove the cloth cover... it exposes the driver to debris and has a minimal (if any) effect on sound....

Aug 18, 2013 at 12:08 AM Post #3,199 of 3,353
that actually improves things... DO IT!

Aug 18, 2013 at 12:27 AM Post #3,201 of 3,353
an x-acto knife and quarter will work

Aug 18, 2013 at 12:33 AM Post #3,202 of 3,353
Actually last time I used a cap from a PowerAde bottle... I think it was about the same size as the driver...

Aug 18, 2013 at 12:43 AM Post #3,203 of 3,353
Actually last time I used a cap from a PowerAde bottle... I think it was about the same size as the driver...

an x-acto knife and quarter will work

Awesome! Might not have the materials you mentioned above but you gave me a clearer idea on what size of circular object to use xD

Billson :)

Aug 18, 2013 at 2:02 AM Post #3,204 of 3,353
Quote:
I performed the blu tak mod, it is meant to tame the highs, but I feel like it really just killed the highs. The highs dont seem to be as.... Happy anymore. They seem kind of dull and depressed.

Also, another topic, any recommendations to make them more comfortable on my ears? I have decent sized ears that stick out and they press against the driver. Im currently using Bowl pads. I also plan on performing the Shack Hack mod eventually but anything to help until I get time to run to RS?

Did you cover the 2 holes on the silver back of the driver?  You have to ensure you don't cover the two of them.  Normally, with the blue tack or Dynamat, you have to carefully mold it into shape so you keep the holes open.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixelsphotopro /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Can you tell me what is the Ohrenholz web site?

I don't believe he's cutting cups anymore.  The last time I saw or used his cups was a few years back.  I think he actually had some issues with the dust from cutting the cups that may have affected his health.  I was sad to see this happen as he did some wonderful work. I just checked his site, and it appears the URL is still registered.  However, it can't be accessed.  It was: http://www.ohrenholz.com

Aug 18, 2013 at 8:51 AM Post #3,205 of 3,353
Bowl L-Cush master race reporting in. Better sound IMO than a quartered comfie. The comfort takes a while to get used too though. I also recommend punching 2 holes in each driver. Just take a blow dryer to the side of your cup, and work it apart. Then take a ballpoint pen to the felt in the back.

Aug 20, 2013 at 11:13 AM Post #3,206 of 3,353
Quote:
Awesome! Might not have the materials you mentioned above but you gave me a clearer idea on what size of circular object to use xD

Billson
smily_headphones1.gif

I've also heard of using a long socket from a socket wrench that was around the same size, so you could get some extra leverage to make sure it didn't slip while cutting.

Aug 20, 2013 at 11:13 PM Post #3,207 of 3,353
Quote:
I've also heard of using a long socket from a socket wrench that was around the same size, so you could get some extra leverage to make sure it didn't slip while cutting.

Correct.  I think I utilized a 13mm socket for the task.  It makes it easier and safer than using a quarter to do the job.  I'd rather have my fingers a few inches away from the knife via the depth of the socket, versus 1/8" with the quarter.

Aug 20, 2013 at 11:36 PM Post #3,208 of 3,353
Quote:
Can you tell me what is the Ohrenholz web site?

Ohrenholz is out of commission due to the health risks associated with the business. You pretty much have to have a hazmat setup to be working with exotic hardwoods. They're known to even cause skin inflammation when exposed to so much of the sawdust over time. I am not speaking from experience but him and I were colleagues and I helped him out when he got started.

Sep 3, 2013 at 10:11 AM Post #3,209 of 3,353
Could someone measure the front of the cup where the driver is? Thanks.

Sep 3, 2013 at 11:34 AM Post #3,210 of 3,353
Ill try to get you some measurements tonight.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back