SR60-Mod part II
Oct 5, 2012 at 10:02 AM Post #3,166 of 3,353
I'm new here on head-fi, I have my Alessandro MS1i and I've been reading this thread for a while now.
It's sad to read that Cabillas doesn't do those cheap cups anymore, because I really quite wanted to buy some. I guess headphone lounge's cups are a good alternative, but they do cost quite a bit more.
There's one other problem, I live in the Netherlands and when I got my MS1i I had to pay like €25 in random taxes because they were from America and such. Would I run into that same problem when I order these cups, seeing as they're priced in $?

Oct 5, 2012 at 11:03 AM Post #3,167 of 3,353
Quote:
I'm new here on head-fi, I have my Alessandro MS1i and I've been reading this thread for a while now.
It's sad to read that Cabillas doesn't do those cheap cups anymore, because I really quite wanted to buy some. I guess headphone lounge's cups are a good alternative, but they do cost quite a bit more.
There's one other problem, I live in the Netherlands and when I got my MS1i I had to pay like €25 in random taxes because they were from America and such. Would I run into that same problem when I order these cups, seeing as they're priced in $?

I can highly recommend the Headphone Lounge/Vibro Labs cups - I got a pair of Vibro Classics and they are very nice indeed.  Very easy to fit, once you get your drivers out (see the video on the site.)

If you were charged for importing your MS1is then I'd expect the same will happen for the cups.

I don't know how it works in the Netherlands, but here in the UK all imports valued at £15+ are liable for VAT (20%) if they come from outside the EU. Higher priced items also have import duty on them. Your local postal service may also add a bit extra for 'administration costs' - Royal Mail stung me for an extra £12
mad.gif

Oct 5, 2012 at 3:05 PM Post #3,168 of 3,353
Quote:
I can highly recommend the Headphone Lounge/Vibro Labs cups - I got a pair of Vibro Classics and they are very nice indeed.  Very easy to fit, once you get your drivers out (see the video on the site.)

If you were charged for importing your MS1is then I'd expect the same will happen for the cups.

I don't know how it works in the Netherlands, but here in the UK all imports valued at £15+ are liable for VAT (20%) if they come from outside the EU. Higher priced items also have import duty on them. Your local postal service may also add a bit extra for 'administration costs' - Royal Mail stung me for an extra £12
mad.gif

Annoying, but I'll go for it anyway when I get enough money. Thanks!

Nov 13, 2012 at 1:17 PM Post #3,169 of 3,353
I don't know if its been asked before, but can someone give me a link to a list of tonewoods? If not, what kind of dark brown, glossed would be good for a pair of Grados??
-edit- by dark brown, I mean chocolaty.

Nov 15, 2012 at 8:50 PM Post #3,172 of 3,353
Thanks for your help y'all! I just re-found the picture of modded Grados that I fell in love with. Ill try reverse image searching it on google later to try and find the origional post.

Nov 15, 2012 at 8:58 PM Post #3,173 of 3,353
I really like the look of walnut :) does anyone know how it sounds and how much it would cost to get a chunk of nice walnut that I could craft earcups out of? Here's where I saw the pictures of walnut: http://www.edroman.com/customshop/wood/walnut.htm

Nov 19, 2012 at 3:16 PM Post #3,174 of 3,353
My SR60 got peed on by the cat.  I washed the foam and didn't see any anything on the white gauze.
They were working immediately afterwards, but several months later (last night) the one side doesn't output sound.

At first I thought it was a bad cable issue, but putting on fresh connector and solder didn't work. 
I took apart the cans using the hotwater/steam method and there is yellow crystals around the metal circle (Grado32)  smells like piss too.
The weird thing is that,  peering into the front with a flashlight and I don't see anything on the mylar.

I cut the cable off and threw it away.  Going to do a continuity test tonight.

My question is, Can I wash the driver half in cool RO water and say dessicate it in silica beads?

(Assuming the voilcoil is not corroded to hell and there is pee on mylar membrane)

Sincerely,

David P.

P.S. No I didn't kill the cat.  I look at it as forced modding.

Jan 4, 2013 at 1:00 PM Post #3,175 of 3,353
Hey guys, sorry to bump the thread :)

First post here, and first time i've really ever had any decent headphones :)
Bought myself a pair of Grado SR125i's because they didn't have any 80's in stock (I wanted them there and then 
biggrin.gif
 )
Didn't really know much about Grado's to be honest, apart from they sounded great, and I certainly didn't know about the modding!

I've read into all the modding possibilities here in this thread and the older one and it's truly amazing! 
smily_headphones1.gif

I have a question for you enthusiasts:
What is the base like on 125i's compared to the 60's and 80's?

Also, does anyone know what the 'opening up' of the holes does to the 125i's, and also what the effect of sticking the felt in them does to the sound?

I know the effects of this on the 60's as it's pretty well documented, thanks in advance for any replies :)

SJ

Jul 17, 2013 at 10:19 AM Post #3,177 of 3,353
Quote:
Hey guys, sorry to bump the thread :)

First post here, and first time i've really ever had any decent headphones :)
Bought myself a pair of Grado SR125i's because they didn't have any 80's in stock (I wanted them there and then 
biggrin.gif
 )
Didn't really know much about Grado's to be honest, apart from they sounded great, and I certainly didn't know about the modding!

I've read into all the modding possibilities here in this thread and the older one and it's truly amazing! 
smily_headphones1.gif

I have a question for you enthusiasts:
What is the base like on 125i's compared to the 60's and 80's?

Also, does anyone know what the 'opening up' of the holes does to the 125i's, and also what the effect of sticking the felt in them does to the sound?

I know the effects of this on the 60's as it's pretty well documented, thanks in advance for any replies :)

SJ

The mods you described will impact your 125i's the same as they impact the 60's and 80's.
The main difference between your 125i and 80i are a) more closely matched drivers, b) bigger/better 8 conductor cable and c) 1/4" plug.
As such the mods will have the same impact. Many who punch holes and felt damper later regret and reserve the mod. The sound changes, but not necessarily improves in the long run.

Jul 17, 2013 at 2:49 PM Post #3,180 of 3,353
Quote:
How did you do that with the plastic grills?

The buttons are glued on. A little heat and they come off. The hard part is cleaning up the glue.
All easier done if you separate the cups but it is possible to do it without opening up the cans...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back