SR60-Mod part II
Apr 12, 2012 at 2:19 PM Post #3,091 of 3,353
So after about a week or so listening to the basic sock mod (not Kojakus sliced sock mod) I can say that the quantity of bass has certainly been increased, and they are MUCH more comfortable than they were before. It seems the impact of the bass has decreased, or perhaps it just appears to be reduced now that the quantity of bass has increased. I do miss that tight punch I had before, but I'd still like to increase the quantity of bass without muddying it as well. I only have one set of bowl pads, so I'm hesitant to cut them up just yet.

I also have some wooden inserts coming from TheLostMidrange, so I think I'll wait until I receive those from him before hacking up my pads.

I have some cool cosmetic mods I'll be doing shortly once I get a hold of my wooden inserts (which should be here shortly!). So hopefully I can complete everything within a weeks time and post some picks of my modified cans!

[edit]: The socks I used have a material composition of 44% Nylon, 28% Cotton, and 28% Modal. I'm certain different material socks will have a different effect on sound. I'm wondering what materials have others used with success?

Apr 12, 2012 at 6:49 PM Post #3,092 of 3,353

Quote:
So after about a week or so listening to the basic sock mod (not Kojakus sliced sock mod) I can say that the quantity of bass has certainly been increased, and they are MUCH more comfortable than they were before. It seems the impact of the bass has decreased, or perhaps it just appears to be reduced now that the quantity of bass has increased. I do miss that tight punch I had before, but I'd still like to increase the quantity of bass without muddying it as well. I only have one set of bowl pads, so I'm hesitant to cut them up just yet.

[edit]: The socks I used have a material composition of 44% Nylon, 28% Cotton, and 28% Modal. I'm certain different material socks will have a different effect on sound. I'm wondering what materials have others used with success?

That's pretty spot on with what I heard after doing the sock mod. As far as the socks I used, I think they're probably made of cotton. Actually to be honest I don't have much of a clue, all I know is that they are super fuzzy and all of my siblings wear them to bed haha

Here's a picture:

Apr 12, 2012 at 7:43 PM Post #3,093 of 3,353
I don't think the bass is muddied with my particular sock mod. I don't know the exact material in the socks,  but it is definitely not 100% cotton, and is probably closer to DrawTheLine's.

I made the pads from some foam left over from another long forgotten project.  The foam doesn't project out much from the hard plastic of the cup, but it is a tiny bit more than what I see with the Comfies or the reverse quarter mod Senn 414.  This foam is softer to the touch than the Comfies, but more dense.

Here are some pictures:

May 16, 2012 at 2:16 AM Post #3,094 of 3,353
Quote:
I'm looking into a cosmetic mod at the moment... I'd like to make my own wooden buttons with the number insignia to match the wooden chambers I'm making (rather than the plastic buttons)... but I'm having a difficult time finding the correct size of heat stamp to use on the buttons. So far I can find 5/8" and 5/36". Has anyone here wanted to do the same thing, and is there something out there that will work?

Have you looked into laser engraving? Any decent designer worth his salt would be able to match the sans serif font used and match the size as well.

May 16, 2012 at 9:55 PM Post #3,096 of 3,353
Brought back from the dead

May 17, 2012 at 6:42 PM Post #3,097 of 3,353
So is there anyone making cups for a cheap price? I would like to give them a try with my 80i but I don't have a whole lot of money.

May 17, 2012 at 8:45 PM Post #3,098 of 3,353
There's someone making really cheap unfinished cups on Ebay.

May 17, 2012 at 10:00 PM Post #3,099 of 3,353
Thanks for the heads up

May 17, 2012 at 10:23 PM Post #3,100 of 3,353
NP

May 19, 2012 at 7:50 PM Post #3,101 of 3,353
I feel like a lot of the main Grado-modding community jumped ship to orthos...

Myself included :S

Kojaku

May 19, 2012 at 7:56 PM Post #3,102 of 3,353
Orthos = FOTM?

May 19, 2012 at 9:03 PM Post #3,103 of 3,353
May 20, 2012 at 2:04 AM Post #3,104 of 3,353
Quote:
Kojaku

Then perhaps you could answer a question that has burning in the back of my mind for quite some time.... Could you give me a rough comparison of any of the pairs I listed below that you have heard both or know a lot about both?

Magnum v4 vs. T50RP/Thunderpants

Magnum v4 vs. LCD2/3                                                                              <---- or a comparison between the 3 orthos

Magnum v4 vs. HE-500/HE-5LE/HE-6 or whatever equivalent Hifiman

I don't have any listening experience outside of Grado really, and zero with planar headphones so any input would help. I'm really curious and thinking about picking up a pair.

May 21, 2012 at 2:02 PM Post #3,105 of 3,353
Quote:
Kojaku

Yeah I sort of posited this a while back to Kojaku. I even started a thread talking about my love of Grado's, and a growing infatuation at the the time with my modded T50's...A Grado Head With a Fostex Fetish. I think alot of Grado heads went to the LCD2 as well, and then there are the Hifiman offerings which have been garnering a lot of attention lately too. I know of at least one Grado modder that first went Magnum, and has now completely divorced himself from the Grado sound, who as a result of trying ortho's, sold all his Grado cans, and his Magnums both. This is much more than a FOTM musiclover when you consider the orthodynamic roundup thread has been active since it's inception in 05. You also have the success and acclaim of the LCD2. I think there is probably something to this ortho thing musiclover, just sayin.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back