SR60-Mod part II
Feb 10, 2012 at 11:20 AM Post #3,002 of 3,353
So... should I re-cable all of my headphones to silver cables? D:

From what I see on the data, yes. Chris_himself gave me a great price for the reachable that's responsible for this treble.

Kojaku

Feb 10, 2012 at 2:48 PM Post #3,003 of 3,353

Quote:

Just got my data sheets in from Tyll. All I can say is...SILVER. Now, they're a bit bass light because of the cups being so spacious, but look at that 30hz square wave. WOW. Now my cans are not magnums or anything...They're just regular 225i drivers with silver recable. They're exactly the same as other data on DIY woodie grado's on Tyll's website except they have silver. (so the silver must be the difference). The definition is intense.

The bass is quantifiably more extended and present, though it isn't very rumbly, which is shown by the 300hz loss of sound pressure, though I don't really care as long as my bass is tight. The treble however...is definitely reference quality...wow.

Anyway, enjoy the measurements!

Kojaku

I thought the other ones measured were SR60's modded by KneelJung? If so, then the drivers are different as well.

http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/GradoSR60DIYModifiedKneelJung.pdf
http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/three-modified-grados

Feb 10, 2012 at 3:44 PM Post #3,004 of 3,353
I thought the other ones measured were SR60's modded by KneelJung? If so, then the drivers are different as well.

http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/GradoSR60DIYModifiedKneelJung.pdf
http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/three-modified-grados

Yes, but we've noted on the thread that there really isn't much driver difference between the first three models of grado. Plus, if you look at the stock treble of any of the grados tested on innerfidelity...none of them come close. I really doubt the drivers are the primary difference.

Kojaku

Feb 10, 2012 at 3:49 PM Post #3,005 of 3,353

Quote:

Just got my data sheets in from Tyll. All I can say is...SILVER. Now, they're a bit bass light because of the cups being so spacious, but look at that 30hz square wave. WOW. Now my cans are not magnums or anything...They're just regular 225i drivers with silver recable. They're exactly the same as other data on DIY woodie grado's on Tyll's website except they have silver. (so the silver must be the difference). The definition is intense.

The bass is quantifiably more extended and present, though it isn't very rumbly, which is shown by the 300hz loss of sound pressure, though I don't really care as long as my bass is tight. The treble however...is definitely reference quality...wow.

Anyway, enjoy the measurements!

Kojaku

Without his testing YOUR headphones specifically with both silver and copper cables and comparing those results, I do not think you can make this claim. There are too many other factors (many of which have quite obvious differences). 

Feb 10, 2012 at 4:55 PM Post #3,006 of 3,353
Without his testing YOUR headphones specifically with both silver and copper cables and comparing those results, I do not think you can make this claim. There are too many other factors (many of which have quite obvious differences). 

Ok...I guess we'll never know what it was specifically that changed the treble response so much...

Kojaku

Feb 10, 2012 at 5:27 PM Post #3,007 of 3,353

Quote:

true that. I thought I've also seen Tyll mention this himself that specific placement of headphones on the dummy head also affects measurement results somewhat...

I could be wrong though. 

Feb 10, 2012 at 6:28 PM Post #3,008 of 3,353

Quote:
true that. I thought I've also seen Tyll mention this himself that specific placement of headphones on the dummy head also affects measurement results somewhat...

I could be wrong though. 

That's primarily related to the seal. He does an average of all the data he places in, giving each headphone five repositionings for the best performance he can get.

Kojaku

Feb 11, 2012 at 5:19 PM Post #3,010 of 3,353
I second that

Ok. Well it isn't definitive then. But REALLY. Which one of my mods was going to cause such significant change in treble?

Silver recable
Woodies
Pad mod

If you don't agree, then help me figure out which one it is so we can benefit the thread...

Kojaku

Feb 11, 2012 at 5:31 PM Post #3,011 of 3,353
The length of the wood shell, likewise which wood can affect the treble. So can the pad choice. Both are more likely culprits than silver vs. copper, which has never, ever, been shown to affect the audible character of a headphone. 

Feb 11, 2012 at 6:06 PM Post #3,013 of 3,353
Sound Science subforum for evidence based discussions. Cables, Speakers, Power, Tweaks subforum for more subjective reviews and product recommendations. 

Feb 20, 2012 at 9:08 PM Post #3,015 of 3,353
Does anybody still want wood cups for their grados? I was thinking baout opening a website that offers grado woods cups and recabling. I would be able to do any wood like purple heart or cocobolo. I dont want to get this thread shut down for advertising which is why Im making a website.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back