SR60-Mod part II
Nov 25, 2011 at 5:23 AM Post #2,746 of 3,353

Quote:
So did all the other mods just ruin sound quality?

It's a matter of taste really... just like EQ-ing. I think that anything that isn't improving the construction, materials, or comfort of the Grados isn't worth doing IMO... my opinion changed over time, I initially liked the bass hole mod for like 2 days until I heard like stock SR-60's haha.

For the record I don't like EQ-ing either.

Nov 25, 2011 at 10:35 AM Post #2,747 of 3,353

Quote:
Somewhat noob question but are the mods listed in the beginning of the thread still the suggested mods? I was originally going to do more research and what not but I ended up snatching up some sr-60is from my school's bookstore for 55 dollars after tax due to a major impulse buy/sale that the store was having. I do enjoy them but I'm curious as to how good these may get. Maybe further down the road I'll get magnums and do a ms1000 mod as from what I've been reading that sounds great.

That was a nice snag.

In terms of mods, start with the pads. You can modify the Grado sound just by switching out pads. Switching to bowls, taping the bowls, the flats, the Senn pads, or quarter modding your comfies. Personally I'd get set of Senn pads and quarter mod them. The second mod worth doing IMO is a grill change. Get rid of the plastic grill and put something in there that lets more air through. I'm not a big believer in cables. I made a 4ft  cable from some silver wire I got from Homegrown Audio. It did more my Porta Pro than it ever did my SR60. The hole punch mod is reversible. You can recover the holes with different materials. I used muslin but there are some other choices too. Finally the best mod is wood cups, but the SR60 in it's stock form is an awesome headphone.

Mine really shined when I pumped some Joe Bonamassa through them and turned up the volume a little bit
biggrin.gif

Nov 25, 2011 at 2:48 PM Post #2,748 of 3,353

Quote:
For woven wire i suggest buying a kitchen sieve around 5usd, but look for those with a more dense weave which is kinda hard to find. for non woven wire mesh then a stationery pencil holder would do. 

here are some pics of the kitchen sieve i used with mine

I headed out to KMart yesterday with my daughter before we cleaned up to head out for Thanksgiving dinner.  I mean, how much more ghetto can you get than to head to a KMart on Thanksgiving day without showering, but just putting on a baseball cap and hitting the road?  They had a sieve that I thought would suit my needs fine, but then I saw a 3 pack of grease splatter guards that you cover when your pans with when doing some of that deep southern frying to your food.  I bought the 3-pack of the splatter guards, which in my case turned out to be somewhat of a mistake.  The mesh isn't nearly as thick and durable as I would have liked.  Plus, I was going to be using it on a pair of some of Marty's newest designs of cups that feature a larger opening on the outer edge of the cups.  I'll go back to using the letter trays which seem quite durable for the mesh on headphones.  My local Dollar Tree store is out of the cheap letter trays.  They apparently only stock those as seasonal items right before school starts.

I've also had luck heading to my local craft store.  They sell aluminum modeling mesh that's designed to build a wire frame for an art item that you'll later cover with clay or another similar material.  The packs come with the material folded up, but when unfold it, there are plenty of flat, square pieces that you can select from to get some nice mesh for your cups.  I've paid about $5.00 for such material in the past.

Nov 25, 2011 at 3:06 PM Post #2,749 of 3,353
Happy Thanksgivings to all of the US members 
beerchug.gif
 from Canada.

Does anyone knows if the old low profile slip-on platic cups fit on SR-60i drivers?  if they do, does anyone has a set of cups for sale? Also does anyone also has a set of SR-225 slip-on plastic cups for sale?

PLease send me a PM.

Cheers!

Quote:

I headed out to KMart yesterday with my daughter before we cleaned up to head out for Thanksgiving dinner.  I mean, how much more ghetto can you get than to head to a KMart on Thanksgiving day without showering, but just putting on a baseball cap and hitting the road?  They had a sieve that I thought would suit my needs fine, but then I saw a 3 pack of grease splatter guards that you cover when your pans with when doing some of that deep southern frying to your food.  I bought the 3-pack of the splatter guards, which in my case turned out to be somewhat of a mistake.  The mesh isn't nearly as thick and durable as I would have liked.  Plus, I was going to be using it on a pair of some of Marty's newest designs of cups that feature a larger opening on the outer edge of the cups.  I'll go back to using the letter trays which seem quite durable for the mesh on headphones.  My local Dollar Tree store is out of the cheap letter trays.  They apparently only stock those as seasonal items right before school starts.

I've also had luck heading to my local craft store.  They sell aluminum modeling mesh that's designed to build a wire frame for an art item that you'll later cover with clay or another similar material.  The packs come with the material folded up, but when unfold it, there are plenty of flat, square pieces that you can select from to get some nice mesh for your cups.  I've paid about $5.00 for such material in the past.

Nov 25, 2011 at 4:21 PM Post #2,752 of 3,353
Nov 25, 2011 at 6:50 PM Post #2,753 of 3,353

Quote:

I did not make these myself, I bought these screens from a head-fi seller that was donating the proceeds to a charity, and this was his last pair for sale.  I've since pulled these out of my cups, not the biggest fan of woven mesh after seeing how easy it is for the smaller wires around the perimeter to fall out.  I get solid mesh now from desk organizers - much easier to work with.  

These have that rounded shape because I had to do that to get them to fit into the cups, wasn't fun to get them in and get that convex shape going, was worried I'd break the wood.  This is crazy thick wire.

Deathdeisel, if you want these you are welcome to them.  PM me with your address and I'll throw them in the mail for you.  

Yup i did have a problem with the teeny tiny small wires too. As long as you keep it intact then put it into the wood housing then hot gluing it, it would not drop out anymore. The key is hot gluing it. Solid mesh is easier for sure =) Even cutting a circle for the woven mesh is hell in itself

Nov 25, 2011 at 9:33 PM Post #2,754 of 3,353
I was trying to decide what method to use for opening up my 80i's for the first time. I was just kind of looking at them and they have always felt sturdy, so anyways, I just tugged them and they came right apart. The glue was super easy to just peel off, with the exception of a small blob. That only required a warm knife to lift off as well. I didn't finish liberating them 100% because once they were open, I didn't feel like poking those driver holes out.

Nov 26, 2011 at 2:05 AM Post #2,755 of 3,353

Quote:
I am thinking the honeycomb grill shown here would look pretty cool..

http://www.mnpctech.com/120mm_Custom_FanGrill.html

I am hoping to pick a couple up, if they ship to Canada and the cost is not too insane for them to simply use first class mail.....

Very nice choice!  I have hung out with the owner/operator of MNPCTech a couple times (Bill) and he is a great guy so I always try to link his products as much as possible on PC/case modding forums, never thought I'd run across his stuff here!

All the stuff is high quality and if you sent him an email he might have scraps or a few other varieties of mesh.  He has stocked several versions of "modders mesh" over the years and I'd imagine he has a supply of quite a few kinds.

Here is an example of his amazing machined billet aluminum radiator grill working hard to protect my rads from the paws of my curious cats:  http://i136.photobucket.com/albums/q179/tool_462/FrontAngle1.jpg

Nov 26, 2011 at 2:37 AM Post #2,756 of 3,353
Hmm, i have an idea. Has anyone ever measured the inside gap, or diameter of the inside of grados? Where the mesh goes? Because if you really wanted i think you could buy these, 
http://www.mnpctech.com/Computer_Fan_Grills_Laser_PC_Fan_Grills.html

And grind them down a bit, to make them to fit the inside where the mesh should be. If its anywhere near 80mm it should work, although itd be preferable to find some with 60mm sizes or smaller. 

Nov 26, 2011 at 4:01 PM Post #2,757 of 3,353

Quote:

That was a nice snag.

In terms of mods, start with the pads. You can modify the Grado sound just by switching out pads. Switching to bowls, taping the bowls, the flats, the Senn pads, or quarter modding your comfies. Personally I'd get set of Senn pads and quarter mod them. The second mod worth doing IMO is a grill change. Get rid of the plastic grill and put something in there that lets more air through. I'm not a big believer in cables. I made a 4ft  cable from some silver wire I got from Homegrown Audio. It did more my Porta Pro than it ever did my SR60. The hole punch mod is reversible. You can recover the holes with different materials. I used muslin but there are some other choices too. Finally the best mod is wood cups, but the SR60 in it's stock form is an awesome headphone.

Mine really shined when I pumped some Joe Bonamassa through them and turned up the volume a little bit
biggrin.gif

Quote:

It's a matter of taste really... just like EQ-ing. I think that anything that isn't improving the construction, materials, or comfort of the Grados isn't worth doing IMO... my opinion changed over time, I initially liked the bass hole mod for like 2 days until I heard like stock SR-60's haha.

For the record I don't like EQ-ing either.

Thanks for all the help!

Nov 28, 2011 at 6:03 AM Post #2,760 of 3,353

What do you think about my new idea?, this could be the headphones with the bigger scene of the world.
Like a Hi Fi speakers sistem the drivers will be infront.

The most important is enjoy the music.
Francisco Cabillas.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back