SR60-Mod part II
Nov 12, 2011 at 2:22 PM Post #2,656 of 3,353
cool thanks, So for starters i should;

1. Replace headband
  2. Get better earpads/better looking
For the headband, would you guys say the headband is better than the beyerdynamic 10$ one? 30 dollars better? 
And for the screens, what do you guys think seems to look best, black, silver or copper colored? Also should i do the felt damping mod or no? 

Nov 12, 2011 at 6:17 PM Post #2,657 of 3,353

Quote:
For the headband, would you guys say the headband is better than the beyerdynamic 10$ one? 30 dollars better? 

The Beyerdynamic headband on Grados looks kind of "cheesy" if you ask me.  It just snaps on, but doesn't completely cover the whole Grado band on the ends.  Getting a headband designed for the Grado out of leather as a replacement is worth much more value, comfort and appearance.

And, no, to the felt mods.  I don't feel as though it did anything for my 'phones.

Nov 12, 2011 at 6:39 PM Post #2,658 of 3,353
cool thanks, So for starters i should;

1. Replace headband
  2. Get better earpads/better looking
And for the screens, what do you guys think seems to look best, black, silver or copper colored? Also should i do the felt damping mod or no? 

Damping isn't really the favorite it used to be around here.

As far as leather headbands go, as long as you can source the leather, it's really easy to make one yourself. Mine worked out great. You can also pick one up from Chris & Ted over at headphonelounge.com . I don't hear anything superb about the beyer headband, but I'm with Wayne (wje) on this one. Cheesy. Padding on the headband is important as well, as it can determine how the pads rest on your ear.

Now, as far as screens go, black looks retro and stealthy, aluminum looks like higher models in the prestige series, and copper creates a color mismatch, as far as I'm concerned. As long as the screen is mote vented than the stock plastic one, sound-wise, you should be fine :).

You might consider pad mods or swapping out pads, since it's cheaper. Your comfies have bass impact, but you can free up higher frequencies by doing the quarter-mod. Jumbos are super spacious and have fun staging, but don't have the bass impact that your comfies have. Bowls are somewhere in the middle. There's also Sennheiser HD414 pads, which I honestly don't know much about and haven't seen much of lately. If you'd like more in depth descriptions of pads, many around here can offer you more advice if you'd like.

These are probably the three cheapest mods other than venting, but I find venting dangerous, and overall, pretty unsatisfactory for many around here who end up re-covering their vents with muslin cloth anyway.

Good luck with your modding, let us know if you need any more advice!

Kojaku

Nov 12, 2011 at 9:57 PM Post #2,660 of 3,353
Comfies are the stock pads.  If I were you, I would do the quarter mod on the pads and leave it at that for now if you are set against a new headband.  Bowls, while sounding excellent in my opinion, aren't exactly know for their comfort, and grados are notorious for being unforgiving as it is.  Which is probably where the headband recommendation is coming from.  Having done plenty of the mods, and having read plenty of others' experiences, most of the mods that will give you significant improvements in sound are the ones that require a significant investment, such as the wooden cups.  I was quite happy with the quarter mod though, which is a modification of the stock pads on the sr60i.

Quote:
When you say cheesy, what do you mean? As in it doesn't look good? I just have a hard time spending 2/3 the cost of the headphones on a head bands. So the comfies are the stock pads right?

Nov 12, 2011 at 11:45 PM Post #2,662 of 3,353
When you say cheesy, what do you mean? As in it doesn't look good? I just have a hard time spending 2/3 the cost of the headphones on a head bands. So the comfies are the stock pads right?

As well as the comfort issues described by joy, the headband can help enhance the value of the cans if you get upgrado syndrome, WHICH HAPPENS ALOT ON THIS THREAD xD.

The comfies are the stock pads. The quarter mod is the process of cutting a quarter-sized hole in your pads to prevent the muffling of treble frequencies.

Also, you'll need to open your cups to replace the screens. If you need to see how it's done, just look at the video I recorded of the Hairdryer method of opening up Grados:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zachh7Cf5rY&sns=em

Good Luck!

Kojaku

Nov 13, 2011 at 1:13 AM Post #2,663 of 3,353
thought i'd throw in my two cents here regarding the headband from headphonelounge.com

for me, the purchase was mostly for aesthetic value rather than comfort. i was never really bothered at all by the thin piece of grado vinyl headband that came with my sr60's. maybe it's the way i wear them, maybe it's my head, but i never really had any comfort issue with the stock headband. other than the fact that it looks quite sad paired with wood cups...

i was one of the first batch of people who ordered jinteddy's first generation of leather headbands. it is very well made, well padded and comfortable, and it smells nice too 
biggrin.gif
. worth the money? definitely! orders of magnitude more comfortable than the stock grado headband? not really. but again, i ordered it knowing that i only wanted it to look, feel, and smell nice
dt880smile.png

i guess that i would say try the stock headband first, not everybody is going to be bothered by it not being comfortable enough. if you do find it necessary to upgrade, be it for comfort or the looks, you can't go wrong with headphonelounge.com's headband. 

Nov 13, 2011 at 1:31 AM Post #2,664 of 3,353
So mod wise heres what i shall do for the time. 
  • Quarter Mod to the comfies
  • Replace Screens 
  • Possible Headband

Wheres a good place to find the screens? Hobby lobby or something? 

When it comes to the headband part, i think ill just go with the beyer one, these headphones arent meant to be art, or look awesome. But i would like them to be comfy, and sound great. 

If these were my headphones, again id spend the extra, however im not 100% sure shell love them anyways. So do you guys know where to get the beyer headband? 

Nov 13, 2011 at 1:41 AM Post #2,665 of 3,353
So mod wise heres what i shall do for the time. 
  • Quarter Mod to the comfies
  • Replace Screens 
  • Possible Headband

Wheres a good place to find the screens? Hobby lobby or something? 

When it comes to the headband part, i think ill just go with the beyer one, these headphones arent meant to be art, or look awesome. But i would like them to be comfy, and sound great. 

If these were my headphones, again id spend the extra, however im not 100% sure shell love them anyways. So do you guys know where to get the beyer headband? 

http://north-america.beyerdynamic.com/shop/hah/spare-parts/kopfpolster.html

That's the beyer order form.

You can buy screens in the form of paper trays from staples or you can buy sheets of grid metal from home depot or lowe's, usually in gardening.

Also, she can slowly upgrade if she really likes them, so the other mods can possibly come later.

Kojaku

Nov 13, 2011 at 1:52 AM Post #2,666 of 3,353
Btw, i said screw it. At the end the beyer headband was only 20$ less, because of 10$ for shipping. So i said forget it, ill go with the other one, she better love me for it lol...Either way i look forward to getting both the headband and grados in soon to test/mod them. 

Also: Kojaku, your method of opening the grados is brilliant, i was seriously scared of putting them in water. Thanks a lot for the help so far everyone. 

Nov 13, 2011 at 2:24 AM Post #2,667 of 3,353
Btw, i said screw it. At the end the beyer headband was only 20$ less, because of 10$ for shipping. So i said forget it, ill go with the other one, she better love me for it lol...Either way i look forward to getting both the headband and grados in soon to test/mod them. 

Also: Kojaku, your method of opening the grados is brilliant, i was seriously scared of putting them in water. Thanks a lot for the help so far everyone. 

Glad you like it.

Also, I don't use the twist method to remove the headband. I drip acetone in the crack where the metal goes into the plastic (acetone is in nail polish remover, nail gloss, among other household things). Let it loosen up for a few minutes, pull it out, and apply the headband and then glue it back in with super glue. I used this method because the proposed twist method can misshapen your headband and cut into the letter blocks.

Welcome to the Grado Mod-Club!

Kojaku

Nov 13, 2011 at 2:48 AM Post #2,668 of 3,353
Ah, i like this idea a bit more as well.  I am not a fan of ever hearing cracking or popping with plastic, so ill have to try that. Have you told the guys at headlounge about that method?

I think for wire, im gunna go with silver, however ill know for sure when i see them. And i noticed a member on here colored the lettering red, i may color her letters green, or purple. Its her favorite colors, again ill have to see on how it all plays out. Do you guys keep the number buttons on after wire mods? Or no? 

Nov 13, 2011 at 3:13 AM Post #2,669 of 3,353
Ah, i like this idea a bit more as well.  I am not a fan of ever hearing cracking or popping with plastic, so ill have to try that. Have you told the guys at headlounge about that method?

I think for wire, im gunna go with silver, however ill know for sure when i see them. And i noticed a member on here colored the lettering red, i may color her letters green, or purple. Its her favorite colors, again ill have to see on how it all plays out. Do you guys keep the number buttons on after wire mods? Or no? 

Chris follows the thread and so does Ted (the guys who run headphonelounge), so they should be aware of it.

I like the button and I glued it back on. Some have theorized that the button produces sibilance, but I A/B'ed them and heard no difference myself. I think the button reminds me of my modding roots, lol.

Also, you should know that the lettering doesn't hold color very well and it tends to rub off, depending on the coloring applied...

Kojaku

Nov 13, 2011 at 6:02 AM Post #2,670 of 3,353

Nope, prefer the look without the buttons.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back