SR60-Mod part II
Oct 27, 2011 at 3:06 AM Post #2,581 of 3,353

Quote:
Well, made the jump! This is the final step in my sr225i experience. I ordered a silver recable from Chris :)...I should really update my audio chain and signature...This'll be fun :3!

Kojaku

I'll take care of ya. :)

--

Man does nobody mod Grados anymore? What happened to all the hustle and bustle of the last six months!

Oct 27, 2011 at 4:26 AM Post #2,582 of 3,353
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wnv0DAR_gWA&feature=player_embedded 

now everyone can lathe their own cups .. jk jk 

Oct 27, 2011 at 9:03 AM Post #2,584 of 3,353
Does anyone know if cabillas has resent my iroko cups yet. Ive tried contacting him but he is not answering my pm's. 

Oct 27, 2011 at 10:28 AM Post #2,585 of 3,353
Oct 27, 2011 at 11:42 AM Post #2,586 of 3,353

Quote:

Ha, ha.  That's amazing and hilarious at the same time.  Wow that would be tough.  I prefer my method.

@ Jin, I've been super busy.  I'll contact you soon. 

no problem, I understand that you are busy so I didn't want to disturb. Nice new cups btw. =)

Oct 27, 2011 at 12:49 PM Post #2,587 of 3,353

Quote:
Does anyone know if cabillas has resent my iroko cups yet. Ive tried contacting him but he is not answering my pm's. 

I have not heard.  Usually, it takes 2 -3 days from your request for him to get to the postal agency to send the shipment.  Being that he's sent Questhate's, I'm assuming yours might have been sent, too.  However, for Questhate, he did provide me with a tracking number on Monday of this week.

Oct 27, 2011 at 5:17 PM Post #2,588 of 3,353

Quote:

Also, I was going to suggest earlier - look at your PayPal account if you paid him with that method.  You could send him an e-mail asking for an update.  Francisco will take care of you.

Oct 27, 2011 at 8:01 PM Post #2,589 of 3,353

Quote:
Also, I was going to suggest earlier - look at your PayPal account if you paid him with that method.  You could send him an e-mail asking for an update.  Francisco will take care of you.

Thanks wje. Damn why did'nt i think about it before. Im emailing him now

Oct 28, 2011 at 4:26 AM Post #2,590 of 3,353
I'm pretty sure my MS1i's are now complete.

1. Started at stock
  2. Tried Senn 414 pads q-modded and reversed
  3. Opened cups and vented 4 holes (evenly spaced)
  4. Put stick foam on rear driver (didn't notice any real difference)
  5. Bought aluminium MS2i cups from Twinster
  6. Stripped the plastic from inside the aluminium (way too twangy) then added some felt for damping (nice sound)
  7. Added bowls - very nice - keeper
  8. Tried jumbos - not good with the aluminium - too hot (sizzle) and bass loses a lot of punch
  9. Added Beyer snapon headband - nice! - recommend (super comfy)
  10. Received full woody (courtesy Cabillas) from Wayne along with grill material, rod-spacers/locks & TTVJ flats
  11. Liberated driver, added rod-spacers/locks
  12. Tried the TTVJ flats (still deciding) - but think the bowls are better for me.

Photos of the journey .....

And here's where I am now :)

Extremely happy with the iroko full woody.  Cabillas workmanship is exceptional - absolutely perfect fit.

Things I've noticed with the change to wood -
  1. Very, very light - change from the aluminium in weight is huge!
  2. Overall tone is more 'earthy' - maybe dropped a little of the forward excitement that was there - but the tonal change is not dramatic, and for me enjoyable.
  3. Highs have lost a little heat - again not dramatic
  4. Bass is more defined
  5. While I liked the TTVJ flats with the aluminium, I found them too bassy with the wood.  Bowls rule with new set-up (comfortable and sound wonderful).
  6. Mids are still wonderful
  7. If I had to describe overall change - I'd say 'earthy' and slightly more refined

Would just like to give a huge note of thanks to everyone on this thread who's helped me a long the way.  Especially Wayne (WJE) who has been extremely helpful getting me a lot of the resources to get this completed.

Cheers !!

Oct 28, 2011 at 6:45 AM Post #2,591 of 3,353
^Very nice!  I'm going to be ordering the Grado SR80i hopefully around Black Friday.  I have to know a few things about your mod.

First of all, the Beyer headband, that's this one right?
http://north-america.beyerdynamic.com/shop/hah/spare-parts/kopfpolster.html

Also, putting on the woodies, was it merely just popping out the old aluminum cups and snapping on the woodies?

Oct 28, 2011 at 7:10 AM Post #2,592 of 3,353

Quote:
^Very nice!  I'm going to be ordering the Grado SR80i hopefully around Black Friday.  I have to know a few things about your mod.

First of all, the Beyer headband, that's this one right?
http://north-america.beyerdynamic.com/shop/hah/spare-parts/kopfpolster.html

Also, putting on the woodies, was it merely just popping out the old aluminum cups and snapping on the woodies?

Yes - that's the headband.

And no - it's a full woodie.  Liberate driver, detach cable, insert driver, reattach cable.  You can get just wooden slip-ons though if you want to make it easier.  But that means the driver still sits in it's plastic outer - so you're not getting the full wood effect.

Oct 28, 2011 at 10:16 AM Post #2,593 of 3,353
wje:

You know how I was always a gigantic fan of those SR-225's you had back when CABILLAS started doing his thang? I might come into contact with them soon haha :D

Oct 28, 2011 at 11:14 AM Post #2,594 of 3,353

Quote:
wje:

You know how I was always a gigantic fan of those SR-225's you had back when CABILLAS started doing his thang? I might come into contact with them soon haha :D

Very nice.  Keep me posted on that front ...  I still think the SR-225 / 225i is the real "sweet spot" when it comes to a Grado driver for use with wooden cups.  When one is able to produce a modified pair of Grados in the $300 - $350 range, it is some outstanding value. 

I'm deeply considering the sale of my SR-225i woodies with the pecan-finished Cebil cups that Marty made for me.  This decision that I'm pondering is based basically on the premise of the 2 pair of Magnum drivers that will be headed my way.  Slowly, I pare down to 2 pair of headphones from the 3 or 4 Grados that I have available.

Paul,  Thanks for providing the excellent assortment of real-world pictures and the steps of your progress.  It really looks like things have really turned out quite nice - and, I'm pleased that you're enjoying the sound - with the changes that you've noticed since converting over to the wooden cups.  I've always had a feeling, though, about the Alessandro MS-1i drivers because they have the higher frequencies slightly rolled off when compared to a Grado SR-60, 80 or 125 that the Grados might pair a bit better with wooden cups for those who really crave the detailed sound / highs that Grado is famous for.

Also, thanks for the outside pictures of the Iroko cups / finish.  The only pictures that I had access to were the inside pics that Cabillas had provided on his blog.  I don't know the exact statistics, but I suspect the Sapele cups might have outsold the Iroko by a two to one margin ... though, that's just a guess based on reading the posts here on what people were ordering.  However, I've leared that with some slight tweaking to the stain color, the Iroko wooden cups have so much more beauty potential than one ever imagined.  As I've noted in earlier posts, I've been working through a process of stripping down my Iroko cups, applying a different stain color and then my coats of polyurethane.  It appears that my 3rd coat of poly has reached the point where I consider it to be nicely dry.  This weekend, I'll install the screen and get some pictures taken.  The stain color that I selected, really makes the Iroko "pop" -- especially when it comes to the tops or the "mushroom" outer side of the cups.  I never thought Iroko would be capable of such alteration with different stain, but my results have proven out that Iroko is a wood that's very capable of classing up a pair of  headphones.

Finally, I wish we had 20 or 30 more pair of cups.  I know the demand and need is out there.  However, this was basically a service that Cabillas did out of passion.  Many times, he's indicated that it was never about money - because he didn't make much, if any, on the process.  But, it did provide work for his carpenter, Jose, who is a true craftsman!  I also think Jose has many other projects - crafting wine boxes for the fine wines of Spain, etc. - so, I think  he has more than enough other work.  Though, the question does pop into my mind every now and then about trying to reach out to him and see what options there are.  I think he's read through the forums where he could see his work being put to use on many Grado modifications as Cabillas shared the thread with him.

Oct 28, 2011 at 4:22 PM Post #2,595 of 3,353

Quote:
Yes - that's the headband.

And no - it's a full woodie.  Liberate driver, detach cable, insert driver, reattach cable.  You can get just wooden slip-ons though if you want to make it easier.  But that means the driver still sits in it's plastic outer - so you're not getting the full wood effect.

Ok, thanks so much.  I just want to make I know what I will be doing when I make the upgrade to some woodies, that info helps a lot. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back