SR60-Mod part II
Oct 25, 2011 at 1:56 PM Post #2,551 of 3,353

Quote:
Hey guys,

Just an update on my cups from Cabillas for JinTeddy (and whoever else cares). 

My package was somehow sent back to Cabillas again because they said it could not be delivered for some odd reason. Wayne was nice enough to act as a middle man for my package, since Cabillas has successfully delivered a few packages to Wayne. This is the third time that Cabillas has attempted to send my package to me in the US. Although it has been frustrating for all parties involved, Cabillas has gone above and beyond the call of duty, in this case re-sending the packages without asking for additional postage (which I would have been happy to reimburse since it was not his fault). 

Big thanks to Wayne for stepping in to help as well. It's amazing the amount of friendly and generous people I've come across in my short time in this hobby so far. For every instance of Bilavideo or BigRock that I hear about, I've personally experienced so many more kind people who disperse good karma into the universe which help keep the balance. 

Does that mean that the cups will be resent? Thank you thank you THANK YOU =) ... i've been waiting far too long =) .... Thanks everyone .... soooo much

Quote:
Lesson learned: Trust no one I suppose.

So, have we reached a stagnation point for Grado mods? Is there more innovation to be made?

I'd love too see someone design an easy to DIY headband/rod-blocks (aka no fancy tools needed, remember, we started these things with just power drills and hole saws.) I think that there's definitely improvement to be made in that area, other than the leather headbands being made (which are beautiful). I don't know that I have the skill to do it, and the earliest I could try would be over break. Maybe a simple oak block with the corners cut off,  and with L and R burned into them, and a brass screw holding the headband on. I have so many ideas, but I don't have the skill to execute them.

I think whats left for Grado mods would be, leather circumaural earpads for grados (who knows if thats possible), DIY rod blocks and gimbals (both have been done but noone is selling them for a reasonable price yet nor a tutorial made), aluminum cups with wood inserts (though i heard that rhydon has alu cups on the way, either that or i messed up my mind too much with assignments), diy rod tips?,  and the rest is just improving on whatever mods we have right now ... 

Oct 25, 2011 at 2:05 PM Post #2,552 of 3,353

Quote:
Does that mean that the cups will be resent? Thank you thank you THANK YOU =) ... i've been waiting far too long =) .... Thanks everyone .... soooo much

Has Cabillas informed you that he has received your cups sent back to his location?  If so, then he can attempt to resend them to you.  However, if there was an issue with delivery the first time, then there's no telling if they'll get through the 2nd time or not.  I've sent packages from the US - via our Priority mail boxes that get to Singapore in a little over a week.  The process is quite easy.  If yours makes it back to Cabillas, you're more than welcom to use me as a reference point of receiving / sending the package to you.  The USPS Prioity mail box and shipping to Internation locations runs about $13.95 (US $$).

Oct 25, 2011 at 4:15 PM Post #2,553 of 3,353

Quote:
Originally Posted by wje /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I've gotten to be a great friend of Cabillas and in my next PM with him, I'll ask if the AutoCAD is available - or, if he prefers to keep it in his posession.

Alright thanks man. 

Btw if he asks, I won't be making cups with his designs. I'm just trying to replicate and maybe add
on to his designs on Wildfire 5. 

Oct 25, 2011 at 4:45 PM Post #2,554 of 3,353
So, I have an extra SR60i driver that remained from a botched soldering job. This was my first time liberating, so the plastic grill isn't in great shape, but it's a fully functioning driver for anyone that needs one. Just shoot me a PM if you'd like it. 

Oct 25, 2011 at 9:10 PM Post #2,555 of 3,353

Quote:

Has Cabillas informed you that he has received your cups sent back to his location?  If so, then he can attempt to resend them to you.  However, if there was an issue with delivery the first time, then there's no telling if they'll get through the 2nd time or not.  I've sent packages from the US - via our Priority mail boxes that get to Singapore in a little over a week.  The process is quite easy.  If yours makes it back to Cabillas, you're more than welcom to use me as a reference point of receiving / sending the package to you.  The USPS Prioity mail box and shipping to Internation locations runs about $13.95 (US $$).

I think i would like Cabillas to send it over again since i recieved my first set of sapele before without any problems. Thanks again for the help wje .. if anything goes wrong ill consider USPS. =) 

Oct 25, 2011 at 9:12 PM Post #2,556 of 3,353
does anyone know the mechanism of gimbals that grado applies to their rs1's? would like to know how they stick two of those tiny sticks (the ones holding the cup in place) into the loop / hoop and make it stick there. 

Oct 26, 2011 at 5:47 AM Post #2,558 of 3,353
waiting for someone to do diy driver coating kinda like how the magnums are done
popcorn.gif

Oct 26, 2011 at 5:51 AM Post #2,559 of 3,353

Quote:
waiting for someone to do diy driver coating kinda like how the magnums are done
popcorn.gif

Doesn't make much of a difference... I lined the insides of the cup with hard material. bluetac, thin sheet of paper, sandpaper. The differences were subtle ... or not even there at all. 

Oct 26, 2011 at 8:09 AM Post #2,560 of 3,353

Quote:
Doesn't make much of a difference... I lined the insides of the cup with hard material. bluetac, thin sheet of paper, sandpaper. The differences were subtle ... or not even there at all. 

Driver coating = On the mylar, not in the cups.

Oct 26, 2011 at 10:25 AM Post #2,561 of 3,353

Quote:
popcorn.gif

Try spraying your drivers with Pam or something and see if that works ahahahaha

Oct 26, 2011 at 12:43 PM Post #2,563 of 3,353
Driver coating = destressing or distressing as referred to by Grado.  However, I think there's much more to the Magnum drivers than just this process.  Sure, during the initial release of the Magnum modification, the existing Grado drivers were coated for sound improvement.  However, with the new Magnum drivers being built from the ground up, there are many more variables that need to be taken into the picture: voice coil windings, driver material variance from the mylar that Grado uses, frequency resoponse changes, size of voice coils vs. Grado, etc., etc.

To me, it's a bit risky to remove the front protective covering on the Grado driver (the one with the series of holes in it).  I've worked with my Dremel tool with a flat cutting disc on a dead driver and realized the margin of area to work in / on was quite small.  The end result?  I scraped the mylar a few times with the cutting disc.  Had it not been a dead driver to start with, it would have been dead after the wrecking I gave it.  Then again, my hands are not nearly as stable as they were 20  years ago.  I guess the caffeine addiction might have something to do with that.

However, an idea did strike ... if one desired to remove that top cover over the face of the driver, one might capably do it by using a belt sander to cut through the material itself.  This would ensure they mylar is still recessed about 1/8" where it will remain protected.

Oct 26, 2011 at 1:06 PM Post #2,564 of 3,353
Hi everyone,

I agree with majestic... I have been gone for awhile and stumbled onto the second thread sometime back.  Interesting to read everyone's impressions on the magnum drivers.  In my previous experiences with the alum inner and wood outter (using sr 60 driver) I found it a little bright for my tastes and prefered alum outter and wood inner.

Keep the mods coming!

Oct 26, 2011 at 2:25 PM Post #2,565 of 3,353

Quote:
does anyone know the mechanism of gimbals that grado applies to their rs1's? would like to know how they stick two of those tiny sticks (the ones holding the cup in place) into the loop / hoop and make it stick there. 

As far as I know, the gymbals for the RS-1 is just like the Prestige Grados, except they're completely circle rather than semi-circle. It's just a molded piece of plastic....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back