SR60-Mod part II
Sep 18, 2011 at 7:45 AM Post #2,131 of 3,353
does anyone know a way of pushing out the grado drivers from cabillas cups without pushing through the screen from the opposite side? thanks

Sep 18, 2011 at 8:15 AM Post #2,132 of 3,353

Quote:
does anyone know a way of pushing out the grado drivers from cabillas cups without pushing through the screen from the opposite side? thanks

Pushing down on one edge of the driver face is about the only (and best) way that I know of.  When you push down on one of the edges, the edge on the other side will slightly raise up so you can get hold of it and remove the driver.  Cabillas' cups are cut by a CNC machine - and are very precise in the way they fit.

Sep 18, 2011 at 9:43 AM Post #2,133 of 3,353

Quote:
Pushing down on one edge of the driver face is about the only (and best) way that I know of.  When you push down on one of the edges, the edge on the other side will slightly raise up so you can get hold of it and remove the driver.  Cabillas' cups are cut by a CNC machine - and are very precise in the way they fit.

OMG it just worked thanks! was about to punch through my screen .... yay .. thanks wje!

Sep 18, 2011 at 10:21 AM Post #2,134 of 3,353
How much does one of your headbands cost Jinteddy?

Sep 18, 2011 at 3:36 PM Post #2,136 of 3,353

Quote:

Them was handly made, Mr. wje. This is Jose, the carpenter working in the cups. However he is like a machine!, fantastic professional and person.

Greetings from Andalucía.

Sep 18, 2011 at 4:02 PM Post #2,137 of 3,353
Hello Cabillas. Does it mean you will still sell some wood cups for Grado? That would be very nice.

Quote:
Them was handly made, Mr. wje. This is Jose, the carpenter working in the cups. However he is like a machine!, fantastic profesional and person.

Sep 18, 2011 at 4:43 PM Post #2,138 of 3,353
This is an old photo, now i haven´t time for sendt, i enjoyned so much to see the cups all over, thanks for your coments, confidence to all, and the organization of the foro.
We will read us from here.
gs1000.gif

And dont forget enjoy the music.

Guitarra Clásica Española, Spanish Classic Guitar – Spanish Guitar. Concierto De Aranjuez

Sep 18, 2011 at 6:10 PM Post #2,140 of 3,353

Quote:
Them was handly made, Mr. wje. This is Jose, the carpenter working in the cups. However he is like a machine!, fantastic professional and person.

Oh yes, I forgot.  All of my were done with such precision, I never though one individual could do the same process over and over without the slightest cut out of spec.  Truly, he is one of the best carpenters on the lathe that I have ever seen the work of. 

Sep 18, 2011 at 6:13 PM Post #2,141 of 3,353

Quote:
Hello Cabillas. Does it mean you will still sell some wood cups for Grado? That would be very nice.

I've begged, groveled and even suggested a slight modification to his business plan and pricing to try to encourage him to keep on with the cups.  However, I think it really comes down to finding that right balance between work and life.  At the end of the day, you can have a big stack of money, but if you're too tired to be with your family or to do something with the money, then that is not a good balance or a good situation either.

I would love to know how many pair of cups were sold.  I know Cabillas was quite active in the Spanish forums, too.  There must be 150 to 200 pair of his cups floating around out there.

Sep 19, 2011 at 12:43 AM Post #2,142 of 3,353

Quote:
Good News - Bad News.  Or, Do We Say: Bad New - Good News?

Bad News: I've recently learned that Cabillas will no longer be providing his fine cups for Grado headphones.  Yes, gone are the great prices, along with the potential of future wooden-lined aluminum cup options and all that great stuff.  Life has balances - Francisco has to have time for the right balance in his life and for his family.

Good News: We still have people, or MOT members, who make custom wooden cups for our Grados.  Yeah!   We don't have to live with the "status-quo."  Those that were in the "queue" with Cabillas will apparently get their cups shipped out, but asking for new orders seems like a "no-go."

Bad News: My one leather sewing machine sews too fast.  I need to slow the beast down to make some straighter stitches.

Good News: I've made lots of prototypes and have been enjoying it.  I essentially need a servo motor, where I can dial in the speed that I want the motor to max out out.  However, there is an interim method that I can use - which means installing a 2" pulley on the motor side in place of the 4" pulley to slow the motor down.  Plus, I'm getting another leather machine on Saturday, that will capably sew 3/4" of leather.  Yes, 3 layers of belt can be sewn together for those "extra-thick" headbands.

More to follow in due time.  Enjoy everybody !!

Damn. That's pretty sad news (the Bad News that is.)
That means mine must be one of the last ones out... mailed out on the 16th..

Will look forward to seeing the new stuff he puts out though..

Sep 19, 2011 at 1:07 AM Post #2,143 of 3,353

Quote:
Damn. That's pretty sad news (the Bad News that is.)
That means mine must be one of the last ones out... mailed out on the 16th..

Will look forward to seeing the new stuff he puts out though..

I don't think we'll see any new stuff from Cabillas for quite a while.  I think he needs a better balance between work and life.  He has a family and can't get too wrapped up in all of these cup designs.  I'm sure he probably has the designs in AutoCAD, which someone could pay him for the time to develop what he did.  They could then take the file to someone with a CNC machine and get some estimates for the work.  The only thing I fear is that cutting aluminum cups, etc. is going to be quite a costly process to take on.

I also think mine (the last pair) went out on the 16th, too.  This will go down as a day in history.

Sep 19, 2011 at 1:20 AM Post #2,144 of 3,353

Quote:
I don't think we'll see any new stuff from Cabillas for quite a while.  I think he needs a better balance between work and life.  He has a family and can't get too wrapped up in all of these cup designs.  I'm sure he probably has the designs in AutoCAD, which someone could pay him for the time to develop what he did.  They could then take the file to someone with a CNC machine and get some estimates for the work.  The only thing I fear is that cutting aluminum cups, etc. is going to be quite a costly process to take on.

I also think mine (the last pair) went out on the 16th, too.  This will go down as a day in history.

Maybe a Cabillas Appreciation Day every 16th September..
o2smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back