SR60-Mod part II
Sep 2, 2011 at 5:56 AM Post #1,861 of 3,353

Quote:
so.... i had an idea. Grado Speakers!, I want to try to get two of each driver sr650i-325is and make some speakers, two small tone wood boxes with the drivers fitted inside of them so the sound can gain a bit of volume with the resonance of the wood. any ideas or comments about this "dream" also anyone know where to get just the driers on the cheep?

Been done before hasn't it?

I seem to recall seeing a picture of a tall speaker with 12/16 Grado drivers in it... made by Grado themselves if I remember correctly.

Sep 2, 2011 at 12:53 PM Post #1,862 of 3,353
Racio's headphones - and their leather band is kind of hard to make out, due to a limited view of the headband.  Is that how real crock looks?  It almost seems like a perfect set of rectangles that are sewn onto the leather - they look almost too perfect.  Though, it's hard to tell give that it's such a small picture.

I though croc skin /  hide was a bit more irregular like the following:

Sep 2, 2011 at 1:16 PM Post #1,863 of 3,353
Racio's headphones - and their leather band is kind of hard to make out, due to a limited view of the headband.  Is that how real crock looks?  It almost seems like a perfect set of rectangles that are sewn onto the leather - they look almost too perfect.  Though, it's hard to tell give that it's such a small picture.

I hadn't noticed that before but I think you're correct about his headband.

Sep 2, 2011 at 8:06 PM Post #1,865 of 3,353
Depending on the size and age of the animal in addition to where the skin is taken from the pattern can be quite regular.  

Of course, there is also artificial skins out there....

Quote:

Sep 3, 2011 at 5:08 AM Post #1,867 of 3,353
Are there any mods to really lower the treble and boost the mids? It would be nice if I could get my SR60i sounding closing to my RE0 
bigsmile_face.gif

Sep 3, 2011 at 7:23 AM Post #1,869 of 3,353
2 Questions to throw out for everyone in the thread

What kind of material do you use for your headbands? I'm going to a fabric shop and i want something that's somewhat soft, but doesn't have the pleather feel to it., and what are the dimensions for the headbands? I need to be very specific with these guys to get it right. 

Thanks

Sep 3, 2011 at 8:58 AM Post #1,870 of 3,353

Quote:
2 Questions to throw out for everyone in the thread

What kind of material do you use for your headbands? I'm going to a fabric shop and i want something that's somewhat soft, but doesn't have the pleather feel to it., and what are the dimensions for the headbands? I need to be very specific with these guys to get it right. 

Thanks

Most fabric shops don't sell leather.  However, they have many styles of PVC or faux leather.  There's also marine vinyl - but, it's really too heavy to work with and the colors tend to be too basic.  There are true leather offerings from many eBay vendors selling various sizes.  If you go through Tandy, on the web, they'll make you buy a certain minimum amount because they don't really want to split the hides up.

In regards to size, the original Grado headband is 10 7/8" long.  However, that's a little short and if you want to fully cover the metal completely, you'll have to go slightly longer - 11.5", for example.  When it comes to width, you could take a measurement of your current stock pad and go from there.  Either you like that width and would be comfortable with a leather one of that size, or you could slightly add a bit of width to it to suit your preference.

As you can see, my answers were a bit "generic" - because there really are no hard rules when it comes to headbands and it really comes down to what your heart likes.

Sep 3, 2011 at 9:20 AM Post #1,871 of 3,353
Most, but the one i go to is an exception..because it's 4 floors of just fabrics and leathers (of all kinds)..so I can always request something and they'll probably have it. 

But thanks. :D 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back