SR60-Mod part II
Aug 23, 2011 at 10:52 PM Post #1,711 of 3,353
That's it. We are in sowing machine mod now!!!!  
L3000.gif

Quote:
Military personnel have the ability to get lots of stuff moved - provided they're under a certain weight limit for their goods.  If it's a higher weight than their allotment, they have to pay towards that amount - or, shed some of their goods.  If he was traveling light, then the time was ripe to pick up a good machine for probably a great price.   Plus, the military contracts out the moving, so nobody judges what you're having moved - as long as it's nothing illegal.  I wonder if the machine is set up to run on 110 Volts?  If not, one can get a new servo-controlled 1/2 HP motor for a machine with a variable speed dial for about $110.00.  The servo-controlled motors are way better than the older, clutch-type motors.  The servo motors only have a few moving parts, so less wear on the motor can be expected in general along with a quiter operation and more control over the speed. 

Aug 24, 2011 at 4:00 AM Post #1,714 of 3,353
PEEL THEM OFF! WOOD WILL MAKE YOU WOOD +1 FOR GRADO.

*ahem*

Exits:

P.s It's actually really ez. 1,2,3
smily_headphones1.gif

pps. Sorry. ^^ I may be down for one of those leathers too, depending.

Aug 24, 2011 at 12:12 PM Post #1,715 of 3,353

Quote:
That's it. We are in sowing machine mod now!!!!  
L3000.gif

That's right.  I only watch 1 hour of TV a week.  I need to stay busy.  Hobbies are my answer.  I'm mostly interested in changing pully sizes to slow the machine down to make a nice stitch.  I don't think I'll be adding any spinners to the wheels, though.

Aug 24, 2011 at 8:01 PM Post #1,716 of 3,353
Aug 24, 2011 at 8:21 PM Post #1,717 of 3,353

Quote:

That's right.  I only watch 1 hour of TV a week.  I need to stay busy.  Hobbies are my answer.  I'm mostly interested in changing pully sizes to slow the machine down to make a nice stitch.  I don't think I'll be adding any spinners to the wheels, though.

If I told you a couple of months ago, that your love of music would eventually lead you to research altering industrial garment manufacturing equipment, you'd probably have slapped me. I wouldn't be surprised if by next year, you'd be able to manufacture a Grado from scratch. 

Aug 24, 2011 at 8:31 PM Post #1,718 of 3,353

Quote:
If I told you a couple of months ago, that your love of music would eventually lead you to research altering industrial garment manufacturing equipment, you'd probably have slapped me. I wouldn't be surprised if by next year, you'd be able to manufacture a Grado from scratch. 

Hehe.  What kind of crystal ball do you really have?  Actually, this past weekend, I posted a bunch of my larger tools for sale, and have sold most of them off - table saw, roller extensions for handling longer pieces of wood, wet tile saw, tile cutter, framing nailer, etc.  All of that stuff is gone.  Just one air grinder left to sell on Craigslist and a sewing machine (non-industrial) that's on eBay remain.  I did seen an older industrial machine on Craigslist for free this afternoon.  I sent an e-mail to the seller (giver), but didn't get a response back.  In my note to them, I said I'd make a donation to their favorite charity due to their graciousness of giving the machine away.  I guess I'm kind of fixed on having enough horsepower to sew some bands.  However, I'm also interested in restoring something from the 60s that's built like a tank - and able to last at least another 50 years.  Or, at least that's my objective with this thing.

Aug 24, 2011 at 9:02 PM Post #1,719 of 3,353
Aug 24, 2011 at 9:56 PM Post #1,720 of 3,353

Quote:
How in the heck has that not sold yet?

Either one of two reasons:

1) People are afraid to buy right now because of a shaky economy.  Or, 

2) There are lots of people away and on vacation - thus, not seeing the great deal.

I currently have the $200, but I'm holding it for something else and the two pair of Grados are keeping me happy at the moment.  

Aug 25, 2011 at 12:51 AM Post #1,721 of 3,353

Quote:
Quote:

Either one of two reasons:

1) People are afraid to buy right now because of a shaky economy.  Or...

If that were a stock MS2 it would probably be more appealing to most people. Those cups are kind of funky looking though, and the cable sort of says, rode hard and put away wet.  Then you got the whole economy thing like you say and a lack of discretionary income. I put my HF2's up for $475 a couple of weeks ago. They generated some interest, but not as much as I thought they would. I thought I would get more people at least trying to make an offer but that wasnt the case. I'm glad I didnt sell them though and now I dont know if I would.

I did just have someone contact me about a pair of the Blackwood cups that I put up and sold a while ago. So I sold the ones on my 225. Which gave me an excuse to PM Marty and make some inquiries
biggrin.gif

Also I just boxed up my SR60 and T50 and forwarded them to Questhate. He's going to give them a listen before he packs them back up along with his SR60 and sends them to Tyll to be measured. So it's sort of a good thing that I didnt sell the HF2. Because with the 225's disassembled and cupless; and the SR60 and T50 off galavanting around the country...I've only got one option when I reach over to my headphone stand...my favorite Grado
L3000.gif

Aug 25, 2011 at 1:01 AM Post #1,722 of 3,353
Speaking of cups - does anyone have a pair of wooden slip-ons, in good condition that they are wanting to sell?  Maybe good chance for anyone looking to upgrade (sell the cups they have now and get new ones).  I have a pair of MS1is I've only done a couple of minor mods to - and I want to try wood first before I spend money on going the 'whole hog'.  I also have a pair of Aluminum cups coming so I can compare them to wood.

Anyway - if anyone has slip-ons they want to move - please pm me.

Aug 25, 2011 at 1:25 AM Post #1,723 of 3,353

Quote:
If that were a stock MS2 it would probably be more appealing to most people. 

That's another great point.  In regards to my updates / upgrades, I've never really taken things so far as to move them back to their stock roots, if I had to.  When I liberate the drivers, it's done carefully, so I can re-liberate them if I need to.  About the only thing that might be left would be a cable upgrade, if one had been applied to that set.

Meanwhile, I've been toying around with an idea of picking something up to make the driver liberation process a bit easier:

I kid, I kid.  I'm just fooling at that idea.  Though, one has to admit, 50,000 P.S.I. of pressure from a press would liberate some Grado drivers in no time flat. 
biggrin.gif

wink.gif

Aug 25, 2011 at 2:52 AM Post #1,724 of 3,353

Quote:
That's another great point.  In regards to my updates / upgrades, I've never really taken things so far as to move them back to their stock roots, if I had to.  When I liberate the drivers, it's done carefully, so I can re-liberate them if I need to.  About the only thing that might be left would be a cable upgrade, if one had been applied to that set.

Meanwhile, I've been toying around with an idea of picking something up to make the driver liberation process a bit easier:

I kid, I kid.  I'm just fooling at that idea.  Though, one has to admit, 50,000 P.S.I. of pressure from a press would liberate some Grado drivers in no time flat.

Almost looks a little bit like overkill
wink_face.gif

Aug 25, 2011 at 5:35 AM Post #1,725 of 3,353

Quote:

I'll add that we're talking about, probably, about the least loved Grado line can currently in production on these boards. There are quite a few threads about any Grado/Alessandro model... except for MS2.

Quote:

Almost looks a little bit like overkill
wink_face.gif

^ ^

Users who are viewing this thread

Back