SR60-Mod part II
Jul 8, 2011 at 8:54 PM Post #316 of 3,353

Quote:
As for what Martin is doing? Well, I'm keeping him busy with what has become a 900$ order. A GS1000i style headphone with HF2 drivers, made of jet black Gaboon Ebony and Bloodwood with black lambskin headband and of course G-cushions. I am hoping to pair it with Silver Dragon cables and Travagans Red and Black amp for matching color both cosmetically and sonically. I can hardly wait to see the result - But he is currently having some trouble getting a wide enough chunk of Ebony 
rolleyes.gif

Those sound like the "mother of all headphones".  Trust me, they'll be worth every penny you put into them.  You could instead spend $900 on speakers - then, everyone would keep telling you to turn it down.  However, in this case, you'll be able to enjoy the glorious sound all to yourself.

Quote:
speaking of the devil, have you seen the custom boxes he use? 

I did read a comment that he had posted somewhere at about the same time that he was crossing over to the nice, new boxes.  Very nicely done!

Jul 8, 2011 at 9:17 PM Post #317 of 3,353

Quote:
Your clues give me a woody. 

Sorry to let you down.  When I talked to my daughter in more detail, she actually referenced the package from 2 days back - the FedEx envelope when you sent the Grado driver to me.  Sadly, nothing arrived today.  There's still tomorrow, though.  Rain, sleet or snow ... nothing can stop the USPS.

Jul 9, 2011 at 3:34 AM Post #318 of 3,353
question;

so I've modded my sr60i's with most of the mod's from the OP of the first thread- they sound great.

I currently own a sr225(not i) and have not done any mod's to them. I just got a pair of TTVJ flats and they definitely helped the bass out (with the bowls there is that kick, but that flats have that kick and also lower hz, but they coincide a bit so it's harder to distinguish). 

I honestly feel that the bass (although muddier) on the modded sr60i goes deeper than my stock sr225's with flats.

I've modded the sr60i's by: A. taking the inner mesh out, B. punching all the holes out next to the driver, C. adding a circle of felt padding on the farside of the driver and the inside of the outer screen, and D. quarter modding the comfies.

So my question is_    If I do those same mod's to my stock sr225, will I lose that awesome mid-high frequency sparkle thats not in the 60i's? I could use more bass, as long as it's the same quality as it is now. If it would muddy it up I'll pass on it... 

on a side note, the song ulysses by franz ferdinand is a great song to get non head-fiers hooked on good sound, esp by the way of grado

Jul 9, 2011 at 8:14 AM Post #319 of 3,353

Quote:
Those sound like the "mother of all headphones".  Trust me, they'll be worth every penny you put into them.  You could instead spend $900 on speakers - then, everyone would keep telling you to turn it down.  However, in this case, you'll be able to enjoy the glorious sound all to yourself.

Hehe, i hope so. And i allready spent more than 4000$ on my speaker setup so it only seems fitting ^^

Jul 9, 2011 at 9:53 AM Post #320 of 3,353

Quote:
Sorry to let you down.  When I talked to my daughter in more detail, she actually referenced the package from 2 days back - the FedEx envelope when you sent the Grado driver to me.  Sadly, nothing arrived today.  There's still tomorrow, though.  Rain, sleet or snow ... nothing can stop the USPS.

The suspense builds up
very_evil_smiley.gif

Looking forward to hear your impressions. Most modded cans here and the old thread don't go beyond SR225s. How  much more can you add if you start bringing to the plate higher end drivers? That should clear things up pretty well since you've got quite a few woodied shells under your belt.

Jul 9, 2011 at 11:35 AM Post #321 of 3,353

Quote:
Hehe, i hope so. And i allready spent more than 4000$ on my speaker setup so it only seems fitting ^^

I have a pair of Monitor Audio Silver RS-6 speakers in Rosenut being driven by a Parasound amp with 2 subwoofers.  Since getting into this headphone game, my speakers are getting little - if any use.  Only about 2 plays in the last 4 months.

Quote:
The suspense builds up
very_evil_smiley.gif

Looking forward to hear your impressions. Most modded cans here and the old thread don't go beyond SR225s. How  much more can you add if you start bringing to the plate higher end drivers? That should clear things up pretty well since you've got quite a few woodied shells under your belt.

Actually, everything arrived on Thursday when I wasn't home.  I took my post card to the post office this morning to pick up what I though would be something completely different, but there were actually 2 items waiting for me.  I'm totally in a state of bliss at the moment.  Many comments will be provided going forward.  I'm just sort of "taking it all in" at the moment.

Also, I'm on a mission for a good headphone case.  Carrying my gear to work in a plastic bag is so ... ghetto.  Also, I've read where Grado makes a nice headphone case for the "SR" series with their logo on the front.  I need to find a source for these.  Also, I found the following in my travels - it appears to be something out of Singapore:

http://www.sgheadphones.net/index.php?s=dabda53d7cce7e45219338f5389c19f2&showtopic=4785&view=findpost&p=64625

Here's a link to the Grado headphone case: http://www.johnlewis.com/231250396/Product.aspx  (I have no affiliation with this vendor)

Jul 9, 2011 at 5:33 PM Post #322 of 3,353
Heh, I still use my Cerwin Vega XLS-215 (Yea - The big ones) with a good old analog Tandberg TR2080 amp, DacMagic and a pc for most of my home-listening when theres not anyone around who doesn't like my music - When there is, or I'm not home...Or i just feel like being quiet i use my headphones. That might change with the comming of these cans though...My room might actually get to collect some dust before those two giants shake it off again :p
I know Cerwin Vega and hifi rarely go hand in hand but paired with the right amp these gigantic monsters perform quite amazingly 
very_evil_smiley.gif

Quote:
I have a pair of Monitor Audio Silver RS-6 speakers in Rosenut being driven by a Parasound amp with 2 subwoofers.  Since getting into this headphone game, my speakers are getting little - if any use.  Only about 2 plays in the last 4 months.

Jul 9, 2011 at 7:15 PM Post #325 of 3,353

Quote:
I received some dynamat in the mail today courtesy of  wje, Thank You kind sir. So I put a couple of dollops on the 225 magnets and plugged them in
L3000.gif

Great to hear!  I had things together ... but, sadly, it took me a bit of time to hit the post office.  I used to put 3 stamps on stuff like that when I'd send it out.  After using their scale, I realized it was only $.68 cents for your envelope to send it.  I guess the post office might be having a Christmas party this year after all ... courtesy of yours truly for "over postaging" the items he sends.  
biggrin.gif

In other news for those of you who are into the Cabillas cups scene.  Shipping on my last set was made on June 30th and they arrived here in the U.S. for delivery to my house on July 7th.  Now, that's pretty fast, if you ask me - considering it is International mail.

Jul 9, 2011 at 7:35 PM Post #326 of 3,353

Quote:
Great to hear!  I had things together ... but, sadly, it took me a bit of time to hit the post office.  I used to put 3 stamps on stuff like that when I'd send it out.  After using their scale, I realized it was only $.68 cents for your envelope to send it.  I guess the post office might be having a Christmas party this year after all ... courtesy of yours truly for "over postaging" the items he sends.  
biggrin.gif

In other news for those of you who are into the Cabillas cups scene.  Shipping on my last set was made on June 30th and they arrived here in the U.S. for delivery to my house on July 7th.  Now, that's pretty fast, if you ask me - considering it is International mail.

You're on a roll
eek.gif

Jul 9, 2011 at 8:46 PM Post #327 of 3,353

Quote:

Wow, that is fast.  I ordered a pair on the 28th.  Maybe they'll turn up one of these upcoming days.  
tongue.gif

Jul 9, 2011 at 9:21 PM Post #328 of 3,353

Quote:
You're on a roll
eek.gif

Yes, a bit.  However, my wife discovered my PayPal items on the charge.  I explained to her how I transferred money back from PayPal to our checking account.  She then asked me when I'd be done.  Say what?  Done?  What does that mean?  Done as in ... content for the next 5 or 6 years?  I really don't think so.  
tongue_smile.gif
   I then told her that I actually didn't buy myself a present for getting the new job and the fat raise.  She didn't say anything after that.  Gotta know how to treat 'em.  
bigsmile_face.gif

Jul 9, 2011 at 10:34 PM Post #330 of 3,353

My wife saw my amp for the first time a few days ago. I wanst hiding it she just didnt see it. She asked if I was ever going to stop. I said probably not.

Quote:
Yes, a bit.  However, my wife discovered my PayPal items on the charge.  I explained to her how I transferred money back from PayPal to our checking account.  She then asked me when I'd be done.  Say what?  Done?  What does that mean?  Done as in ... content for the next 5 or 6 years?  I really don't think so.  
tongue_smile.gif
   I then told her that I actually didn't buy myself a present for getting the new job and the fat raise.  She didn't say anything after that.  Gotta know how to treat 'em.  
bigsmile_face.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back