SR60-Mod part II
Feb 17, 2015 at 9:17 AM Post #3,332 of 3,353
So. Sitting next to me is a set of  B-stock sr60i 's and a really old set of sr60's. From a whole lot of ABing them i actually prefer the timbre of the old sr60's, it might be the condition of the driver (when I got them the gauze front was yellow and the pads were crumbling to dust) but the upper end is strangely textured - but subtle, and in a really sweet way. While the sr60is have more bass they sound less friendly to me.
Then came modding.
sr60's:  I punched two vent holes and lined the chamber with a thin strip of felt. Bass was bigger but quality much less. After removing the felt the quality came back! I haven't heard anyone else mentioning chamber damping affecting bass quality. Also the two vent holes bring the bass up to about the 60i level.

sr60is: Felt lining softened the sound, Once again I removed it to bring back quality but with the bigger chamber you can line the cup-inside as well as the part joined onto the driver so right now I've left the felt on the removable cup part and button. I also put a circle of felt on the driver back plate, seems good.

Why does lining the chamber reduce quality and increase bass?
Also will masking tape or J-cloth do to cover up vent holes? thats's what I'm using now to compare the difference.

Feb 17, 2015 at 10:11 AM Post #3,333 of 3,353
From my experiences lining the walls with felt with an SR60i, the scale of the sound became smaller and there was less 'air'.
I've read from different sources that the chamber dimensions behind the driver are carefully designed to produce the correct sound... playing around with it leads me to believe that it is correct. 

I found that the most important Grado mods are done ear-side (aside from vent-hole-punching) with different pad sizes, hole sizes, pad materials etc.

Feb 17, 2015 at 2:07 PM Post #3,334 of 3,353
I agree there, shrinking the chamber won't help anything. I just swapped the cups between the 60 and 60is. The old 60s sound  good with the larger cups, the sound opens up and feels less inside the ear as you'd expect. Better synergy with the venting too.  If only I had some wood...

Aug 10, 2015 at 8:35 PM Post #3,336 of 3,353
I just opened up a SR 60i and the drivers say "Grado 32" with a red dot. Any particular significance there? 

Oct 15, 2015 at 9:09 AM Post #3,337 of 3,353
I have new SR60 and thinking about mod (origginal ones sound kind of ****ty, I hope it will be better). It is hard to read 250 posts here so I have just few questions:

1) Is there any plan for wooden cans with dimensions? If someone has well sounding shape of wooden cans, can you please share dimensions?

2) Or best way is just copy current design cans to wood?

3) Is there any rules e.g. thicker wall -> more/less bass?, longer cans -> xxxxx?, wider holes in cans -> xxx?

Oct 17, 2015 at 12:56 AM Post #3,338 of 3,353
  I have new SR60 and thinking about mod (origginal ones sound kind of ****ty, I hope it will be better). It is hard to read 250 posts here so I have just few questions:

1) Is there any plan for wooden cans with dimensions? If someone has well sounding shape of wooden cans, can you please share dimensions?

2) Or best way is just copy current design cans to wood?

3) Is there any rules e.g. thicker wall -> more/less bass?, longer cans -> xxxxx?, wider holes in cans -> xxx?

Go to the SennGrado thread: http://www.head-fi.org/t/738035/senngrado-thread
and non-grado driver thread: http://www.head-fi.org/t/690682/the-non-grado-driver-grado-thread/555#post_11984953

Oct 30, 2015 at 6:32 PM Post #3,339 of 3,353
  I used some leather belts and wood to create 2 custom headbands complementing my Jaben Alu/Rosewood Inner/Padauk gimbal and Cocobolo units.

Quite spectacular. Any chance on a tutorial [even the most rudimentary, ie text form only would be appreciated]? Apologies if previously answered. Am only partially forum deep

Dec 1, 2015 at 6:31 PM Post #3,340 of 3,353
My Blackwoods

What are the rod ends on the blackwoods? That's such an interesting texture

Dec 12, 2015 at 10:15 AM Post #3,341 of 3,353
Hi guys, posted this same question in the impressions thread but only just realised so I don't think it'll be of much help there, does anyone have any tips on prying the shells apart using whichever method? I've tried steaming them and pulling them apart, heating them with a hairdryer, nothing seems to work for me. Any tips on the steaming process would be greatly appreciated, in terms of how long to let them sit and any particular method of prying the shells apart. Thanks. 

Mar 20, 2017 at 1:47 AM Post #3,342 of 3,353
Guys thankyou very much.      I found the first sr-60 mod thread on boxing day just gone ,  i read every page and was blown away by the amount of creativity that you guys threorized & produced.
I was very sad when the thread started turning in a sour direction towards the end , especially as the sourness was the source of sweetness to begin with.
Anyway i found this follow up thread yesterday ,  and literally can't wait to find out what is concocted this time around by you insane Grado heads,   so off to page 1 i go.

I have SR-80e / Comfies  ,  SR-325 / Deluxe TTVJ Flats  ,  RS-2e / L-Cush or TTVJ Deluxe Flats (Depending on music genre)  ,  E-Grado / hole modded pad.      
That's as far as my modding goes ,   i have pad rolled / modded every sort of pad with my grado's ,  nothing to the level that you guys mod.    But you guys inspired me to pad roll and i was blown away by how different my Grados sound with different pads.

Anyway i just want to thankyou all for the last thread and giving me many more months of reading ahead.

Ian

Mar 20, 2017 at 3:16 AM Post #3,343 of 3,353
  Guys thankyou very much.      I found the first sr-60 mod thread on boxing day just gone ,  i read every page and was blown away by the amount of creativity that you guys threorized & produced.
I was very sad when the thread started turning in a sour direction towards the end , especially as the sourness was the source of sweetness to begin with.
Anyway i found this follow up thread yesterday ,  and literally can't wait to find out what is concocted this time around by you insane Grado heads,   so off to page 1 i go.

I have SR-80e / Comfies  ,  SR-325 / Deluxe TTVJ Flats  ,  RS-2e / L-Cush or TTVJ Deluxe Flats (Depending on music genre)  ,  E-Grado / hole modded pad.      
That's as far as my modding goes ,   i have pad rolled / modded every sort of pad with my grado's ,  nothing to the level that you guys mod.    But you guys inspired me to pad roll and i was blown away by how different my Grados sound with different pads.

Anyway i just want to thankyou all for the last thread and giving me many more months of reading ahead.

Ian

check out the other threads for Non-Grado drivers, Ypsilon driver and Nhoord driver, lots of other mods there along with some great workmanship.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back