SR-71A Gain Settings
Feb 4, 2010 at 7:03 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

bjast

New Head-Fier
I'm new to the forum, and have recently purchased a R/S SR-71A Blackbird. It's a great amp, but I'm a bit lost about the three gain switches. Would someone be willing to give me a detailed breakdown of how to use these three settings, and why?

Specifically, I will be using it with the following equipment:

AKG K701
Sure 530
Etymotic ER-4P

Which setting would you recommend for each of the above?

Thanks

Feb 4, 2010 at 8:26 PM Post #2 of 6
Well I have an SR-71A and the medium setting seems slightly better IMHO than Lo with my ER-4p and SE530's.

I would presume the Hi setting would be best with your AKG 7K01's.

It would definitely be worth your while to get a P to S adaptor for your ER-4P - this takes the performance of these IEMs to another level with the SR-71A.

Feb 5, 2010 at 2:14 AM Post #3 of 6
just experiment with them till u find u've got the best sound for a particular set of cans
biggrin.gif

Feb 5, 2010 at 4:15 PM Post #4 of 6
You will easily and intuitively know which settings work with a particular set of phones, no special knowledge or training required. I use the medium gain for the most part, even on easy to drive phones and IEM's. It is nice to have a high gain option for phones that are tough to drive though.

Feb 5, 2010 at 11:17 PM Post #5 of 6
I agree the above advice...of course. The nice thing is that this amp has enough juice that high gain isn't even needed often. Low gain is great for low level listening with IEMs.

The volume pot on mine has never produced noise/scratch...high quality stuff.

Feb 22, 2010 at 4:37 PM Post #6 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by Little Bob /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It would definitely be worth your while to get a P to S adaptor for your ER-4P - this takes the performance of these IEMs to another level with the SR-71A.

Thanks for the tip. Where can I find more info about this conversion adaptor? I've done some searching around, but while people talk about it no one mentions how to get it.

Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back