Split between Headphones
Oct 17, 2010 at 10:07 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Lestat23

New Head-Fier
Hey guys, I'm looking for some advice on some headphones.

I can't choose between these five headphones:
-Audio Technica ATH-A700 Headphones
-Audio Technica ATH-AD700
-Sony MDR7506
-Sennheiser HD-280
-Sennheiser HD555

I'm also wondering if it's worth putting in 50 more bucks and getting this
-Shure SRH840

Any pro's have any advice to give? Thanks.

Oct 18, 2010 at 1:06 AM Post #3 of 8
I will admit to not listening to any of them besides the ATH-AD700s by the way I hear that the A700s are of lesser quality then the AD version.  I loved these phones and for the price thought they were amazing but it depends on what type of music you listen too. These are the most bass light headphones I have ever heard though so if you enjoy bass these are not for you. I have owned two pairs of Sennheiser's the 595's and the PX 100s and although I am sure others will disagree ( and that is fine since audio is a personally subjective experience ) they both seemed to have a vail or tint to the sound and in my opinion is not faithful to the recording, though I am not sure if all the Sennheiser's are like this or if it was just the two I used. As for the Shure's I cant say anything about them since I have never used them.

Oct 18, 2010 at 1:24 AM Post #4 of 8

Quote:
I've pretty much narrowed it down to the Sennheiser HD-280, Shure SRH840, and the Audio Technica ATH-A700. Any help guys?

SENNHEISER HD 448 OR HD438!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!or the HD 555's you can mod them into 595 by removing some dampening material.

Oct 23, 2010 at 1:21 AM Post #6 of 8
What about Senn HD25´s....? Definitely better than HD280

Oct 23, 2010 at 1:33 AM Post #7 of 8
Could u give us more information on what you going to use those for? Answer the following questions/

1)What do you listen to? Do you enjoy Bass or balanced sound? 
2)Do u need them to be portable? Durable? Abusable?
3)What are you going to use them with? your MP3 player or out off a dedicated AMP? Wich one and what? 
4)How well do they need to isolate? Is leaking sound a concern?
5) Budget.

These questions will help as give you best suggestion.
But 
IF you need something very durable and portable as well as dont mind spending 200$ then HD25-1 II will be most durable headphones you can get, they are also fairly well balanced (as good as it gets for closed portable headphone) the highs a slightly rolled off and the bass is slightly emphasized, bass is also very tight and deep but not boomy, great headphones for Rock as well as hiphop and also easy to drive by an Ipod or Zune (slight amplification helps deepen the bass though) 

Dec 10, 2010 at 5:23 PM Post #8 of 8

Gatepc said:
/img/forum/go_quote.gif

I will admit to not listening to any of them besides the ATH-AD700s by the way I hear that the A700s are of lesser quality then the AD version.  I loved these phones and for the price thought they were amazing but it depends on what type of music you listen too. These are the most bass light headphones I have ever heard though so if you enjoy bass these are not for you. I have owned two pairs of Sennheiser's the 595's and the PX 100s and although I am sure others will disagree ( and that is fine since audio is a personally subjective experience ) they both seemed to have a vail or tint to the sound and in my opinion is not faithful to the recording, though I am not sure if all the Sennheiser's are like this or if it was just the two I used. As for the Shure's I cant say anything about them since I have never used them.

I understand this part, It's very valuable, Many thanks to your description! This is what I'm looking for.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back