SPL Phonitor, new reference amp?
Oct 3, 2008 at 3:08 PM Post #61 of 198
Hey do Hans,

Interesting amp, but are there any impressions how well this one works with Grado's, especially GS1000.
Also interesting to know if this baby change the voice using different sources or cables. I have got some impression that KEES was overwhelmed by this one, however still interesting to hear more details.
At first, just by looking at it, kind of board from airplane
smily_headphones1.gif
, sorry guys, just to much of everything...

THX

Quote:

Originally Posted by hoosterw /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well I haven't tried any of thos that you mention.

We did use Ultrasones, Audio Technica's and Grado's.

If those the ED9 did bring out the best of the amp, but then again I am an ED9 addict.

The AT W5000 is also driven very well. Grado is least to MHO.

I hope this helps some?

Rgds Hans

Nov 4, 2008 at 5:16 AM Post #64 of 198
Quote:

Originally Posted by vcoheda /img/forum/go_quote.gif
you just have to have everything.
biggrin.gif

No, I can't afford to have everything. But the Phonitor is special enough that I become so keen to have a listen. Besides the weaker Euro is helping the decision.

This is all about exploration, and finding the fun out of it.

But I have told myself (for now) : no R10, no Qualia, no Stats, and no to ultra-super Singlepower amps, or the 307A...

So, you see, I'm quite a contended person
biggrin.gif

F. Lo

Nov 4, 2008 at 6:30 AM Post #65 of 198
Quote:

Originally Posted by fkclo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This is all about exploration, and finding the fun out of it.

i agree. it's the best part.
smily_headphones1.gif

Quote:

But I have told myself (for now) : no R10, no Qualia, no Stats, and no to ultra-super Singlepower amps, or the 307A...

but those are the *most* fun items.
evil_smiley.gif

Nov 4, 2008 at 11:39 AM Post #66 of 198
Quote:

Originally Posted by vcoheda /img/forum/go_quote.gif
but those are the *most* fun items.
evil_smiley.gif

Yeah, but this is why I say I can't afford to have everything
very_evil_smiley.gif

Seriously, I think acquiring a R10 today is a big risk, given the age of the product, lack of parts and the multiple owernship of most R10. The Qualia is a pain to get - find the right size (without knowing which size I need) and getting an amp to suit is very low impedance is more trouble than fun. Some time ago I have given up the desire for a Singlepower amp - the unknowns and the distance from the maker smells trouble. As for 307A..... well it was still on my wish list, but I am now eyeing on the Balancing Act, which is said to be the best amp from Craig so far..
wink_face.gif

I guess I will have to thin the herd soon, as I am really running out of space.

F. Lo

Nov 19, 2008 at 3:38 PM Post #69 of 198
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dreadhead /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What's the gist? Do they like it?

The review was done by a professional stuido-man and the conclusion was quite positive. Here is an extract from what I can capture :

" This is, without a doubt, an excellent product: high‑end technology; beautifully made; good looking; and providing a standard of headphone listening in its passive mode that is as good as anything I’ve ever used. However, the Phonitor ‘extras’ gave rather less conclusive results: although the listening experience they provide is, in some sense, more realistic, in my
own use this did not translate into more accurate mix decisions. They certainly never led to less accuracy, but the Phonitor circuits did not cause me to make different judgements when turned on and off, or when I tried testing my results against the other high‑end headphone amps.

Listening to the decisions made using the new controls on a more normal headphone amp, I thought “yes, that’s right”; rather than “oh, the non‑Phonitor decisions were wrong”. But although I wouldn’t have made different judgements, the new controls perhaps made those judgements a little easier to make. ...... So for those who aren’t used to mixing on headphones I can see that a system like this might be helpful — although, having said that, you’ll need to work just as hard to acclimatise to mixing on headphones as you would a new pair of monitors."

Mine should be on the way, so this review is quite assuring.

F. Lo

Nov 20, 2008 at 2:25 PM Post #70 of 198
Thanks for the excerpt fkclo. I haven't had a chance to download the review.

The reviewer was evaluating it from the p-o-v of someone who records and mixes music. If it not only gave a more realistic sense of space but also eliminated listener fatigue (as claimed in the Phonitor manual), that would be great for everyday listening whatever its value for the professional user.

Also, the possibility of a non-professional version of the Phonitor (mentioned on this thread or elsewhere on Head-fi, I think) is exciting.

Nov 20, 2008 at 6:36 PM Post #71 of 198
For those who may be interested at what the Cross Feed does in the Phonitor, the following is worth noting. In fact, the Phonitor allows interplay between the Cross Feed, Speaker Angle, and Center Image. The degree of user adjustments is amongst the most versatile I have seen on all headphone amps.

"...... I increasingly came to think that whatever overkill the 120V technology might be thought to be (the best audiophile units generally only have a third of that figure), it was certainly doing something good — and by the end of this section of the tests, I’d decided that the SPL was better, even, than the comparatively priced Stax, which had been my previous ‘fatigue‐free’ classical reference of choice.

As an audio microscope, then, the SPL Phonitor works extremely well... so I raised the bar to see what else it could do........"

" The first, the Speaker Angle control, “determines the stereo width caused by frequency‐dependent interaural time differences” and is variable between 15 and 75 degrees, representing time delays of 90 to 635 microseconds. (Note that these angles are nominal approximations, for relative adjustment only.) The angle for ordinary headphone listening is assumed to be 180 degrees, so this reduction is supposed to bring the image more to the front.

The Crossfeed control “simulates the frequency‐dependent interaural level differences”, and can be set to one of six unquantified steps, from min to max. This parameter is not so obviously related to its real‐world counterpart. Although the manual explains that “one can compare variations in crossfeed values as approximating the influence of different room sizes and characteristics on a given loudspeaker setup”, I found this as about as useful as a Sarah Palin policy explanation — and simply followed the other advice given in the manual: “engage in your own additional fine‐tuning.” This is necessary anyway, as the two parameters interact, to a certain degree. When you’ve narrowed the image and crossfed the levels, it’s likely that the centre of the image will be too intense, so there’s a third control (Center Cut) that provides gain reduction of the mono sum of the left and right channels, in six steps between 0.3dB and 2dB.

The manual warns that the speaker‐angle and crossfeed circuits are not an ‘effect’, and that you might at first be expecting more spectacular results, and this is a good strategic warning: the circuits provide a subtle but permanent enhancement which, like most subtle effects, becomes more noticeable in its absence than in its presence (rather like the difference experience when switching off a subwoofer).

I started with SPL’s recommended settings for Crossfeed, Speaker Angle and Center level, adjusted them to give what seemed to my ears to be the closest to my normal listening conditions (a slightly wider presentation), and left them like that for the rest of the review: once you start playing with such things you might just never stop!

Looks like there can be a lot of fun with the Phonitor
smily_headphones1.gif

F. Lo

Nov 24, 2008 at 8:31 PM Post #72 of 198
Hello Francis and ohters, Ohhh new home amps! I did not hear about this phonitor OR the eddie current balancing act before this. Nice to know that new products are coming out.
Any comparison between the symphony and the phonitor, Francis?
I wonder, can the phonitor, like the symphony, also function as preamp? The special functions like center speaker angle and crossfeed seem really exciting but if it has no preamp than it cannot function well in my system. This does seem to be a very unique amp though...
Greetings, Anouk

Nov 24, 2008 at 8:50 PM Post #73 of 198
I must say I find this amp very interesting. Since they give their response curve one should be able to build a DSP to do the same thing..... not sure if that infringes any patents though.

Nov 25, 2008 at 7:40 AM Post #75 of 198
Quote:

Originally Posted by Anouk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hello Francis and ohters, Ohhh new home amps! I did not hear about this phonitor OR the eddie current balancing act before this. Nice to know that new products are coming out.
Any comparison between the symphony and the phonitor, Francis?
I wonder, can the phonitor, like the symphony, also function as preamp? The special functions like center speaker angle and crossfeed seem really exciting but if it has no preamp than it cannot function well in my system. This does seem to be a very unique amp though...
Greetings, Anouk

Anouk,

I am expecting arrival of the Phonitor these few days (it arrived Hong Kong but I have to make arrangements for delivery) so at this moment I am not yet ready to compare it with the Symphony.

The Symphony comes with pre-amp function but not the Phonitor. The Phonitor provides "pass-through" of the incoming signals but that's it. BTW, it is worth noting that the Phonitor only accepts XLR connectors (both input and output), although you can use the same connectors for unbalanced signals.

Francis

Users who are viewing this thread

Back