SPL Phonitor, new reference amp?
Oct 1, 2008 at 5:39 PM Post #46 of 198
I'll think about it tonight. Right now I'm too eager to pull the trigger, it does look utterly wonderful though
very_evil_smiley.gif

Oct 1, 2008 at 6:01 PM Post #47 of 198
Quote:

Originally Posted by cosmopragma /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Unfortunately my favorite headphones are electrostats so no really reasonable way to benefit from this excellent technology.

Cosmo, you can benefit if you exercise yourself in patience and wait a little for the hifi model.
o2smile.gif

Oct 2, 2008 at 2:19 AM Post #48 of 198
Quote:

Originally Posted by mopps /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Cosmo, you can benefit if you exercise yourself in patience and wait a little for the hifi model.
o2smile.gif

I've heard rumours before there will be a stripped down (and less expensive) consumer model but no details at all.
Do you happen to have some insider knowledge or are you just speculating?

Oct 2, 2008 at 10:51 AM Post #50 of 198
I'm in contact with SPL for some time now, all the info i could get:

They do have device(s?) for the hifi market in planning but can't/won't give out any more info than that. Whatever is coming will not be specced/cheaped down i was told.

Oct 2, 2008 at 11:14 AM Post #51 of 198
Okay, I definitely should be patient then.
I already own an Opera and really like it, so upgrading to the Symphony to get a nice one-box DAC+amp solution with built-in crossfeed is a no-brainer for me. (I find crossfeed absolutely essential for headphone listening.) Rationally thinking, I doubt the Phonitor is going to be a big step up SQ-wise on the Opera/Symphony amp (especially for non-monitoring use!), and my wallet is certainly grateful
wink.gif

Maybe when I've had the Symphony for a bit I'll give the Phonitor (or the possible new hifi version) a try, some of the online pro-gear sellers for the Phonitor I found seem to offer a no-quibble returns policy
biggrin.gif

Oct 2, 2008 at 1:51 PM Post #52 of 198
Quote:

Originally Posted by bizkid /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm in contact with SPL for some time now, all the info i could get...

Bizkid, can you elaborate on the fit and finish of this amp. The volume knob appears to be made of plastic, is it not, and how damp is the action here?
What is the weight of the unit and how solid is the amp overall?

Thanks

Oct 2, 2008 at 2:26 PM Post #53 of 198
Quote:

Originally Posted by Cecala /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Thanks

You can download the user manual for SPL website.

The dimensions of the Phonitor are :

106 x 216 x 393 mm (H x W x D) without the feet, height is 88mm

Weight is 4.05 kg.

I used XLR connectors for input - either balanced or not.

Hope this helps.

F. Lo

Oct 2, 2008 at 3:04 PM Post #54 of 198
Quote:

Originally Posted by fkclo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You can download the user manual for SPL website.

The dimensions of the Phonitor are :

106 x 216 x 393 mm (H x W x D) without the feet, height is 88mm

Weight is 4.05 kg.

I used XLR connectors for input - either balanced or not.

Hope this helps.

F. Lo

Thanks.

Oct 2, 2008 at 3:23 PM Post #55 of 198
Quote:

Originally Posted by cosmopragma /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've heard rumours before there will be a stripped down (and less expensive) consumer model but no details at all.
Do you happen to have some insider knowledge or are you just speculating?

If a hi-fi version means a stripped down model with less features I would think the Phonitor will have less fun, even if the sonics are the same.

There are quite a number of "monitor" class headphone amps on the market, but the unique thing about the Phonitor is its special cross-feed and speaker simulation features that make itself into a different class.

For good quality solid state amps, we do have a lot of choices already.

F. Lo

Oct 3, 2008 at 1:33 AM Post #56 of 198
Quote:

Originally Posted by fkclo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If a hi-fi version means a stripped down model with less features I would think the Phonitor will have less fun, even if the sonics are the same.

There are quite a number of "monitor" class headphone amps on the market, but the unique thing about the Phonitor is its special cross-feed and speaker simulation features that make itself into a different class.

For good quality solid state amps, we do have a lot of choices already.

F. Lo

Naturally the speaker simulation features are mandatory.That's the selling point.
What most listeners in the HiFi-market could certainly live without are the retro-style meters, the mono switch, the Phase switch, the solo switch.
Some RCA jacks instead would be handy.

Oct 3, 2008 at 8:21 AM Post #57 of 198
Quote:

Originally Posted by Cecala /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Bizkid, can you elaborate on the fit and finish of this amp. The volume knob appears to be made of plastic, is it not, and how damp is the action here?

Thanks

Fit and finish is the same as with all other SPL gear. There are no plastic parts on the frontpanel, all knobs are made out of metal. The only plastic parts are the feets afaik. The volume knob moves very smooth.
If you have a studio equipment dealer near you you can check out the other SPL gear, they are all build very similar.

Oct 3, 2008 at 10:49 AM Post #58 of 198
Quote:

Originally Posted by bizkid /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Fit and finish is the same as with all other SPL gear. There are no plastic parts on the frontpanel, all knobs are made out of metal. The only plastic parts are the feets afaik. The volume knob moves very smooth.
If you have a studio equipment dealer near you you can check out the other SPL gear, they are all build very similar.

Thanks much.

Oct 3, 2008 at 11:33 AM Post #60 of 198
Uhm no it is not.
It's pretty clear what it is.
wink.gif

"The 2Control addresses all DAW users in audio mixing and AV production with the need for monitoring control and is especially effective in avoiding acoustically problematic environments (desktop workspaces, recording mobiles etc.)."

Users who are viewing this thread

Back