SPL Phonitor Impressions Thread
May 13, 2010 at 4:06 PM Post #244 of 706

Quote:
I paid 1450€ for it but it usually costs 1699€ in stores here. I got it straight from the distributor.
Price is the same as for the silver version.

Thank you very much for this info, I thought to myself I should have gotten the one you have but now I see its way too expensive for me. I was thinking its priced lower than the silver version. I would like to play with its control settings though. Enjoy yours :)

May 13, 2010 at 4:55 PM Post #245 of 706
The effect of the crossfeed settings is really subtle, don't expect anything like what you can accomplish with an equalizer. That's actually a good thing, you can't ruin the sound with it. But I haven't tinkered with it long enough to say more and there is quite a lot of more useful info in this thread and on the forum about the controls.
If you can do without the controls however there is the Auditor at half the price which should have the same sound.
And from what I heard from mine so far the Phonitor/Auditor is quite a class act. Still needs burn in though, I have maybe 6 or 7 hours on it.

May 18, 2010 at 7:41 AM Post #247 of 706
AppleheadMay and .Sup -- I added you to the list in the OP.

Applehead, thanks for the photo of the Phonitor 2730B. It looks awesome. Any word on the differences between the 2730 and 2730B?

May 18, 2010 at 10:40 AM Post #248 of 706
Thanks feifan.

According to the Belgian distributor the 2730 and 2730B are exactly the same amps.
The only difference is cosmetic: a silver faceplate with handles for the 2730 and a black one without handles for the 2730B.
They call the 2730 the Pro model and 2730B the High-End model.
He assured me that there were no technical differences.

I have to say, even after little burn in (about 35 hours now, give or take a few) that this amp really amazes me.
It has the power and authority to control your phones well of course but the thing that really got me sold from the first minute on is its naturalness.
By that I mean it gives a certain warmth (if I dare call it that) to the sound that prevents it from sounding analytical.
I was a bit afraid when I bought it that I would find it overly analytical, but it is far from it. And no it's not colored.

As to crossfeed, I really want it to burn in first so I know its sound well without crossfeed before I continue experimenting with that.
I did tinker a bit with it though, and though the results were good I think I might prefer it without, but since it's there it may come in handy at times.
I get the feeling though that crossfeed shouldn't be used with more commercial material that is poorly mixed.
But these are just early findings.

May 18, 2010 at 12:17 PM Post #249 of 706
It is refreshing how different the Phonitor looks in a flat black face plate and minus the handles.

I have seen a couple of Phonitors with different coloured backlit VU meters, as well as without signal and overload LEDs built in. I wonder why SPL has made the changes?

May 18, 2010 at 1:13 PM Post #250 of 706

Quote:
I see you have only kept your electrostatic amps. Do you find them so much better than dynamic cans?
I ask because I'm waiting for my 717 + O2MkI. I only heard the O2's briefly in the store but they needed new pads.

My preference is still towards Stax which is why I sold all my dynamics. To me, it just sound better in every way.

Do note that the condition of O2mk1 ear pads play a very important role as it doesn't affect how it's sound. Replace a new one if you can. 

Sorry for OT. 

May 18, 2010 at 2:05 PM Post #251 of 706
Yep, I had trouble with the worn pads but the dealer agreed to put on new pads and a new headband.
I also ordered extra MkII pads and a headband.
As I heard the MkII pads should make the MkI sound just as fine with a bit more bass extension.

Going to pick up the deal Saturday. By then my amp should have arrived too as customs informed me.
The wait ... the terrible agonizing wait ... 
o2smile.gif

May 20, 2010 at 5:03 AM Post #253 of 706
Sceptre, thanks for the intro to the Sonosax SX-DA2. Looks like the Sonosax folks are discontinuing it. A shame. It'll probably drive the price sky high. I found some photos on the web. The shots aren't the greatest, but they give us an idea of what the SX-DA2 looks like. How would you compare it to some of the more popular DACs in Head-Fi?

May 20, 2010 at 5:24 AM Post #254 of 706
AppleheadMay: Thanks for the clarification re the new faceplate. Good to know it's only cosmetic. Re crosstalk off -- I'll have to try it.

Cal: I've decided to follow your advice and wait until I can afford a good quality STAX rig. In the meantime, I'm still enjoying dynamics. In my case, ignorance may be bliss. LOL!

crypt@: "It is refreshing how different the Phonitor looks in a flat black face plate and minus the handles. I have seen a couple of Phonitors with different coloured backlit VU meters, as well as without signal and overload LEDs built in. I wonder why SPL has made the changes?"

Crypt, I'm wondering, too. It'd be great if we could swap them out whenever we feel like it. I really like the professional look and feel. For SS-SE, I still think it's the best pro and audiophile amp for accuracy, dynamics, and speed. For soundstage, it's without equal.

May 20, 2010 at 11:53 AM Post #255 of 706
I would hope the changes are cosmetic than because of functionality. I won't be surprised by the thought that some _audiophiles_ may find the blinking lights to be too distracting (... what?!)

I personally prefer the warmer orange glow with those ever flickering LEDs...

A black face plate would fit in nicely with my kit, but those handles are more functional than one may think; beside being useful as handles, they are excellent at protecting the volume control.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back