SPL Phonitor Impressions Thread
Mar 21, 2010 at 6:40 AM Post #226 of 706
Quote:

Originally Posted by MarkyMark /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have the Auditor, S/N is 9101044. It's primarily linked to a Benchmark DAC1 via LAT IC-300 Signature XLR interconnects. Btw, I have also used the Cardas RCA to XLR adapters with unbalanced interconnects and find those work excellently.

The Auditor sounds best driving the HD800's. It's just "OK" with the K701's (sorry Acix
biggrin.gif
). I actually prefer to listen to the K701's from a Heed Canamp in my home office as they have nice synergy.

I don't listen much to my Markl D5000's nowadays but I found the bass to be a bit overpowering from the Auditor, albeit very well controlled. The Sugden Headmaster is a better match ime - it drives low impedance loads well and is a bit bass-light.

Cheers
beerchug.gif

Thanks, MarkyMark. I added you to the list of owners in the OP.

Quote:

The Auditor sounds best driving the HD800's. It's just "OK" with the K701's.

x2

Mar 21, 2010 at 6:54 AM Post #227 of 706
Quote:

Originally Posted by omigawsh_lollercoaster /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Doh! My bad, I got carried away by my curiosity about orthos! Thanks.
beerchug.gif

When I listened SE to both, I listened to Phonitor sometimes and wondered why I even had another amp, but I still liked both. Now I have balanced HP cables for tube listening and it's way better than SE but I still LOVE the Phonitor even on SE.

normal_smile .gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by Markj /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I had hum with Edition9 on my Phonitor also. Spl service check it and said it is design for 600Ohm. With T1 is totaly quiet, with Edition8 it is same as E9 with PRO900 is little better. I even have Furman ballanced power and it does not help. Since then I found that lots of headphone amps are noisy with low OHM headphones. I am looking for best cheap amp for Edition8.

omigawsh_lollercoaster and Markj -- I added your names to the list of owners in the OP.

Mar 23, 2010 at 11:26 PM Post #229 of 706
Quote:

Originally Posted by soberspine /img/forum/go_quote.gif
from what i read phonitor is better than Linear black cube and i can assume the auditor is better too.
But did anyone compared auditor/phonitor with Violectric V200 ?

I would have very much liked to do that comparison but Violectric have no dealers here in the UK. The only way would have been to buy both amps from Thomann.de and use their 30-day return policy.

In the end, the Auditor was available for me for about 150-200 euros cheaper than the V200 so I went with that, also it had good feedback on here. Not enough is known about the Violectric gear, although the limited feedback it has seems good.

Personally, I think Violectric should have ditched the DAC section on the V200 as it isn't top spec and is adding unnecessary cost the unit.

Cheers.

Mar 23, 2010 at 11:41 PM Post #230 of 706
Quote:

Originally Posted by Markj /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I had hum with Edition9 on my Phonitor also. Spl service check it and said it is design for 600Ohm. With T1 is totaly quiet, with Edition8 it is same as E9 with PRO900 is little better. I even have Furman ballanced power and it does not help. Since then I found that lots of headphone amps are noisy with low OHM headphones. I am looking for best cheap amp for Edition8.

Interesting comments from Markj and Sceptre.

My Auditor is deathly quiet at max volume, with no detectable hiss or hum on either HD800 or Denon D5000 (25 ohms). So I wonder why quite a few people are having trouble with noise (I saw some comments from AmanGeorge about this).

Are people using XLR cables or RCA-XLR adapters? Maybe that has something to do with it?

Cheers

Mar 24, 2010 at 8:32 AM Post #231 of 706
Quote:

Originally Posted by MarkyMark /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Interesting comments from Markj and Sceptre.

My Auditor is deathly quiet at max volume, with no detectable hiss or hum on either HD800 or Denon D5000 (25 ohms). So I wonder why quite a few people are having trouble with noise (I saw some comments from AmanGeorge about this).

Are people using XLR cables or RCA-XLR adapters? Maybe that has something to do with it?

Cheers

Wonder x2. My Phonitor is "deathly quiet" at all levels too.

Mar 24, 2010 at 10:37 AM Post #232 of 706
Hello,

Maybe I can share with you my experience in that regards.
I had bought a SPL Auditor which presented some noise, whether the inputs were connected or not. It was not a hum, though, but rather a buzz, which was noticeable at both low volume and high volume, bur strangely desappeared with the volume knob set at around 3 o'clock. It was hardly audible through the hd-650, but very noticeable with lower impedance phones (say, 50ohms). I contacted someone that had the same problem. It turned out it was the same unit (he returned it to Thomann, they resold it, and I bought it back!). He told me that now his new unit is dead quiet. I sent back mine, and I am waiting for a new one, hoping it will be quiet too.

I think the assumption we can make is there might be some defective units presenting this buzzing issue. If you have the same symptoms as I described, you probably have a flawed amp.
I will tell you more as soon as I receive my new unit.

Mar 24, 2010 at 2:16 PM Post #234 of 706
My hum / buzz was quickly sorted with some cable routing and isolation. It was getting in the chassis from a nearby source i.e, with no input connectors on.

Looking forward to a mini meet to compare the Phonitor and Auditor though !!

Regards

Sceptre

Mar 24, 2010 at 2:38 PM Post #235 of 706
Quote:

Originally Posted by feifan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Wonder x2. My Phonitor is "deathly quiet" at all levels too.

Same here. Phonitor + Edition 8 - no hum, no noice, nothing, just pure music.
smily_headphones1.gif

Those of you experiencing hum\buzz: try ground lift button on the back. I remember in one position it was buzzing\humming, in another - quiet. Most likely those who experience hum, have ground loop problem, and should sort it out with a proper cabling or at least ground lift switch at the back.

Mar 24, 2010 at 3:16 PM Post #236 of 706
Quote:

Originally Posted by CaféNoir /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hello,

Maybe I can share with you my experience in that regards.
I had bought a SPL Auditor which presented some noise, whether the inputs were connected or not. It was not a hum, though, but rather a buzz, which was noticeable at both low volume and high volume, bur strangely desappeared with the volume knob set at around 3 o'clock. It was hardly audible through the hd-650, but very noticeable with lower impedance phones (say, 50ohms). I contacted someone that had the same problem. It turned out it was the same unit (he returned it to Thomann, they resold it, and I bought it back!). He told me that now his new unit is dead quiet. I sent back mine, and I am waiting for a new one, hoping it will be quiet too.

I think the assumption we can make is there might be some defective units presenting this buzzing issue. If you have the same symptoms as I described, you probably have a flawed amp.
I will tell you more as soon as I receive my new unit.

Thomann considered the returned unit has no problem so they resold it to you or they repaired it and resold it?

Quote:

Originally Posted by MarkyMark
I would have very much liked to do that comparison but Violectric have no dealers here in the UK. The only way would have been to buy both amps from Thomann.de and use their 30-day return policy.

In the end, the Auditor was available for me for about 150-200 euros cheaper than the V200 so I went with that, also it had good feedback on here. Not enough is known about the Violectric gear, although the limited feedback it has seems good.

Personally, I think Violectric should have ditched the DAC section on the V200 as it isn't top spec and is adding unnecessary cost the unit.

Maybe a german headfier can answer by translating some german forums. There must be a comparison. google translate doesn't help. I also don't see the point of the usb dac.

Mar 24, 2010 at 9:26 PM Post #238 of 706
Just to clarify something: My Auditor came from B stock, so it is not that scandalous (but still not acceptable since B-stock are supposed to work flawlessly). Anyway, relax, the faulty unit will not land on your hands if you buy A stock (I guess...)

May 12, 2010 at 3:15 PM Post #239 of 706
Just got my Phonitor 2730B with SN 9310032 and since I haven't seen a pic of one of these on HF and only found one on the web I thought I'd post one here. This is the home version iso the pro version, it's exactly the same except for a black faceplate and no handles.
Looks like a beauty to me and with all the switches a real toy for boys! 
biggrin.gif

Since it hasn't been burned in yet I won't talk about how it sounds. Anyway I have only heard it for half an hour.
So, please excuse me now, I got a new toy to play with! 
gs1000.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back