SPL Phonitor Impressions Thread
Dec 6, 2009 at 4:56 PM Post #196 of 706
Quote:

Originally Posted by tohenk2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi Ical - nice setup! Can you (ore anyone else) tell me what make/model the clamps are on which the headphones are hanging?

Thanks! They do sound great. However, I've sold them and converted completely to Stax now which suit me better.

Yes, those clamps are from Sennheisers. They works very well. Still using now for quick placement of my headphones.

Dec 6, 2009 at 10:16 PM Post #197 of 706
Quote:

Originally Posted by ical /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks! They do sound great. However, I've sold them and converted completely to Stax now which suit me better.

Yes, those clamps are from Sennheisers. They works very well. Still using now for quick placement of my headphones.

Hey, Cal. You sold all your dynamic 'phones and equipment?

Now that's decisive!

I reviewed the Stax site, and this "system" (HP + driver) caught my eye:Stax SRS-007 MkII Headphones w/ SRM-727 Mk 2 Driver - Silver

It's advertised for $4000.

Question: Is this considered the top of the line for SS?

Dec 7, 2009 at 12:12 AM Post #198 of 706
SR-007Mk2 and SRM-007tII are the top end for Stax, AKA the Omega sytem. The limited edition SRM 600 seems to be higher end than the SRM-007tII?

Though there are plenty (some?) here who believe the Stax amps are wretched and only a RSA or Woo amp will do justice. Not sure if I am saying this tongue in cheek or not.

Have a look at the Stax thread, it's in Main Forum/High End Forum.

Dec 7, 2009 at 3:03 AM Post #199 of 706
Quote:

Originally Posted by alcyst /img/forum/go_quote.gif
SR-007Mk2 and SRM-007tII are the top end for Stax, AKA the Omega sytem. The limited edition SRM 600 seems to be higher end than the SRM-007tII?

Though there are plenty (some?) here who believe the Stax amps are wretched and only a RSA or Woo amp will do justice. Not sure if I am saying this tongue in cheek or not.

Have a look at the Stax thread, it's in Main Forum/High End Forum.

Thanks, alcyst. Will do.

Dec 7, 2009 at 4:55 AM Post #200 of 706
Quote:

Originally Posted by feifan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hey, Cal. You sold all your dynamic 'phones and equipment?

Now that's decisive!

I reviewed the Stax site, and this "system" (HP + driver) caught my eye:Stax SRS-007 MkII Headphones w/ SRM-727 Mk 2 Driver - Silver

It's advertised for $4000.

Question: Is this considered the top of the line for SS?

Hi Feifan.

Yes, sold all my dynamic system after neglecting them for some time. A tough decision for me. Left only Stax now.

You might want to look for the old O2Mk1 and 717. They cost less in used condition and most prefer them to the new version. Unless you prefer a more forward sound then the O2Mk2 will be more suitable. As for amp made by Stax, T2 and 717 are so far the better ones. Or you can also consider those custom amp from Woo and Headamp. There's many choice to choose from.

Dec 7, 2009 at 8:02 AM Post #201 of 706
Quote:

Hi Feifan.

Yes, sold all my dynamic system after neglecting them for some time. A tough decision for me. Left only Stax now.

You might want to look for the old O2Mk1 and 717. They cost less in used condition and most prefer them to the new version. Unless you prefer a more forward sound then the O2Mk2 will be more suitable. As for amp made by Stax, T2 and 717 are so far the better ones. Or you can also consider those custom amp from Woo and Headamp. There's many choice to choose from.

Thanks, Cal. Good to have you "out front" for the rest of us, testing the waters, as they say. My next steps will be toward better balanced gear and, now, Stax. I hope you'll be able to do a comprehensive review of your Stax rig so that we, Phonitor/Auditor folks, can get an idea of what appears to be the next step. I'm enjoying my Phonitor-HD800 lineup right now, but I'll definitely be on the lookout for the old O2Mk1 and 717. I'm faced with the usual doubts re new equipment: go for the gold and get the better equipment from the get go or take granny steps and begin with mid-fi and gradually work up. Regardless, I'm glad we have so many options re quality head-fi gear.

Dec 7, 2009 at 8:49 AM Post #202 of 706
No problem bro, good stuff are meant to share. Right now, I'm too busy enjoying my music out of Stax than to write about it. In short, it's realistic, musical and affectionally. It's presentation is none that I heard of from any dynamic system. However, Stax is not for everyone so best to audition before jumping into it. It might sound too warm or dark to some. So let your ears be the judge.

My advice to save up and go for the next big step. No point upgrading slowly which will cost more in a long run. Audition to make sure you know what you want and not going in circle. I'm glad that I've settled for Stax.

Dec 7, 2009 at 10:48 PM Post #203 of 706
Quote:

No problem bro, good stuff are meant to share. Right now, I'm too busy enjoying my music out of Stax than to write about it. In short, it's realistic, musical and affectionally. It's presentation is none that I heard of from any dynamic system. However, Stax is not for everyone so best to audition before jumping into it. It might sound too warm or dark to some. So let your ears be the judge.

My advice to save up and go for the next big step. No point upgrading slowly which will cost more in a long run. Audition to make sure you know what you want and not going in circle. I'm glad that I've settled for Stax.

Thanks, Cal. Makes sense. Also, I'll try to audition Stax gear when I have a chance. "Warm" and "dark" for Stax -- I didn't expect that.

Dec 8, 2009 at 10:46 AM Post #205 of 706
Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeLa /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just purchased an Auditor and was wondering if any of the Phonitor/Auditor owners felt there was a burn in period? If yes how long?

thanks

I definitely feel that my Phonitor got better with burn in. I would say that it was not fully burned in at 200 hrs. The bass seemed to get deeper after about 400 hrs. If you want to speed up the burn in period, plug a headphone into your Auditor and run music 24/7 for about 2-3 weeks. Some people use pink noise but I don't think its necessary. Definitely enjoy listening to it during the burn in period but understand that it gets better.

Dec 8, 2009 at 5:43 PM Post #207 of 706
If you're enjoying the tube lushness and don't want to lose it, don't make the trade. I really like the Auditor I have, but it's definitely a solid-state amp - extremely transparent and clean - and a top-notch one at that, with no trace of harshness anywhere. But it still doesn't have the lushness, slight warmth, and expansive soundstage of a great tube amp.

Dec 8, 2009 at 9:41 PM Post #208 of 706
Quote:

Originally Posted by AmanGeorge /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you're enjoying the tube lushness and don't want to lose it, don't make the trade. I really like the Auditor I have, but it's definitely a solid-state amp - extremely transparent and clean - and a top-notch one at that, with no trace of harshness anywhere. But it still doesn't have the lushness, slight warmth, and expansive soundstage of a great tube amp.

I just got my HE-5 today and the Phonitor/HE-5 combo sounds pretty lush to me. Actually it sounds fantastic and it's a great complement to the Phonitor/HD800 sound. My Phonitor has no trouble at all driving the HE-5. This combo has great bass and the midrange has a natural warmth and the highs are not fatiguing at all. I do like tubes and I should be getting my Zana Deux SE (to replace the Raptor that I sold a few weeks ago) on Thursday, but I have no plans to sell the Phonitor. As far as SS goes, it doesn't get much better than the Phonitor.

Dec 8, 2009 at 9:54 PM Post #209 of 706
Quote:

Originally Posted by feifan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks, Cal. Good to have you "out front" for the rest of us, testing the waters, as they say. My next steps will be toward better balanced gear and, now, Stax. I hope you'll be able to do a comprehensive review of your Stax rig so that we, Phonitor/Auditor folks, can get an idea of what appears to be the next step. I'm enjoying my Phonitor-HD800 lineup right now, but I'll definitely be on the lookout for the old O2Mk1 and 717. I'm faced with the usual doubts re new equipment: go for the gold and get the better equipment from the get go or take granny steps and begin with mid-fi and gradually work up. Regardless, I'm glad we have so many options re quality head-fi gear.

I'm not ready to jump on the electrostat bandwagon. A lot of my listening is to classic rock and that genre is not Stax's forte. Besides I'm having way to much fun with all the great headphones that have come out this year including the HE-5 and HD800 and the T1 is not far behind. With electrostats, you're pretty much stuck with one or maybe two cans and the sound that they reproduce. I would never sell off all my dynamic can setup for an electrostat system. I might add an electrostat system in the future, but only in addition to what I have now.

Dec 8, 2009 at 10:11 PM Post #210 of 706
Quote:

Originally Posted by SteveM324 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just got my HE-5 today and the Phonitor/HE-5 combo sounds pretty lush to me. Actually it sounds fantastic and it's a great complement to the Phonitor/HD800 sound. My Phonitor has no trouble at all driving the HE-5. This combo has great bass and the midrange has a natural warmth and the highs are not fatiguing at all. I do like tubes and I should be getting my Zana Deux SE (to replace the Raptor that I sold a few weeks ago) on Thursday, but I have no plans to sell the Phonitor. As far as SS goes, it doesn't get much better than the Phonitor.

More in depth comparison of the 800 & HE5 on Phonitor?
tongue_smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back