speakers sound better then headphones regardless of price
May 9, 2011 at 4:23 AM Post #61 of 216
Most speakers below the £50 price mark sound garbage to me, a reasonably priced 2.1 speaker set however, you may just be right.

I listened to a set of £700 5.1 Cambridge Audio Minx speakers recently, they sounded great for movies and TV shows but awful for music, my PRO 900's sound so much more immersive and engaging.

So I disagree with your sweeping generalisation. 
tongue.gif

May 9, 2011 at 5:16 AM Post #62 of 216

Quote:
not necessarily, unless i am sitting a certain way i can find some speakers very fatiguing, for example my uncle has a very bad car stereo and if i sit on one side of the car and the one speaker is closer to me then the other it drives me nuts and gives me listeners fatigue. my headphones never do that.

Wearing comfort I obviously meant.

Your ears are free with speakers. No sweat, heat, funny thing in your ear, on your head, wires behind your ears....

And by the way, the a900 are not more comfortable than not wearing anything on your head/ears.
Better than your head pressed under a rock, yea.

May 9, 2011 at 5:40 AM Post #63 of 216
i agree that speakers is always better vlalue for money. i don't agree about the logitech speakers(or any computer speakers for as well). i use to own a pair of crappy sennheiser hd-205-II which sounded a lot better than my old logitech computer speakers i had when i had them more then couple years ago. times has changed and i learned more and experience more.

the amps and speakers i have now in all cost me total of few hundred bucks(cause all of it's vintage sansui amps and i i bought used and did repairs myself on speakers. only one pair of pioneer floor towers i bought new). also with proper placement,room acoustic experiments and time they'll give you far superior soundstage performance and detail to any headphone around per dollar. now that said i don't want anyone throwing a hissy fit or whine cause this is my opinion and it's matter of preference. also i would like to throw in everyone is not lucky enough to get good speakers for a nice price or don't know anything about how speakers function in rooms. speakers can offer far better bang for buck but you need to understand and study more to understand your room limits cause you can make even a pair of 50,000 dollar speakers sound like 50 dollar speakers with improper room.

overall it's matter of the person's preferences.

May 9, 2011 at 5:47 AM Post #64 of 216
bcasey25raptor, you really need to try some actual high end gear (T1, HE-6, HE-500, LCD-2, HD800, etc)!!!  or at least try some midranged stuff like (DT880, HD600, K701, D2000, etc) all plugged into decent sources.

I've seen your posts around the forum a lot and it's always about your SRH-840DJs about how great/bad they sound, thinking this is the so high end.  You need to step out a bit and try some other stuff instead of sitting on your butt reading on this forum all day.

When I'm sitting in front of my computer, I almost always have my HE-6 on my head and they stomp on my Z2300s all day.  But if I'm trying to lie on my bed cuz I'm too tired, I don't mind the speakers some times.  So no, speakers don't always sound better.

May 9, 2011 at 5:48 AM Post #65 of 216
Really, dude? More kinetic diarrhea... 

Albuquerque!

See? I can do it too. 

Just accept the fact that headphones aren't for you, especially not your SRH840's because if you were truly happy you wouldn't be trying to convince yourself you love or hate them (depending on which way the wind is blowing).

May 9, 2011 at 5:55 AM Post #66 of 216

Quote:
bcasey25raptor, you really need to try some actual high end gear (T1, HE-6, HE-500, LCD-2, HD800, etc)!!!  or at least try some midranged stuff like (DT880, HD600, K701, D2000, etc) all plugged into decent sources.

I've seen your posts around the forum a lot and it's always about your SRH-840DJs about how great/bad they sound, thinking this is the so high end.  You need to step out a bit and try some other stuff instead of sitting on your butt reading on this forum all day.

When I'm sitting in front of my computer, I almost always have my HE-6 on my head and they stomp on my Z2300s all day.  But if I'm trying to lie on my bed cuz I'm too tired, I don't mind the speakers some times.  So no, speakers don't always sound better.

Just because the SRH840 (not DJ, there's no such thing) doesn't cost $1000 doesn't mean it's low end. I've heard everything from a Porta Pro to an HE90 and I consider the SRH440 and SRH840 to be some of the finest dynamic headphones I've ever heard. I think the problem is he just doesn't like their sound signature which is fine, to each their own. To call them subpar in a roundabout way though given you obviously know nothing about them isn't fair IMO.

May 9, 2011 at 8:54 AM Post #68 of 216
Speakers have a major advantage over headphones, but some speakers just are terrible. My HD598 sound better than my Logitech 5.1 speakers in every single aspect. Even as congested the HD598 can get, the Logitechs get more congested.

Even though, I think I might start converting to speakers soon. It's ridiculously difficult to find a neutral pair of headphones. Hopefully, the search in speakers won't be as difficult.

In the speaker world that is going to be a lot harder to find than you think. One of the reasons I sold all my speakers and now all I have are headphones. A neutral full range (30-30k Hz) speaker is going to cost you thousands unless you buy nearfield monitors which still are a pretty penny.

May 9, 2011 at 10:15 AM Post #69 of 216
its a different kind of better, i find them easier to listen to. the shure is to revealing.

That is the main strength of headphones, if you find the SRH840 too revealing I suggest you never upgrade further. As the headphones (and speakers) get better, they going to be more revealing. I also suggest you don't upgrade your speakers too, as better speakers tend to be more revealing too.

May 9, 2011 at 10:51 AM Post #70 of 216
If they're too revealing then a. don't spend more and color yourself satisfied or b. get better songs.

Only advantage a speaker has over headphones for me? visceral impact.  that takes playing the speakers at high volumes though, and disturbing neighbors, which is not something that's hard to do.  For some songs on the headphones, I even found their soundstage to be better represented with the headphone rig than a regular speaker setup-- especially the one in my car.

May 9, 2011 at 11:00 AM Post #71 of 216

well to get a comparable studio monitoring system*to the AKD k271* its about 500-700$ so......yea
Quote:
i agree that speakers is always better vlalue for money.

May 9, 2011 at 11:01 AM Post #72 of 216
Disagree.  If you're buying vintage and used, it's possible to get excellent sound out of speakers, possibly better than headphones.  However, the highest-end headphones cost a lot less than the highest-end speakers.

May 9, 2011 at 11:11 AM Post #73 of 216
I could possibly agree with the op if it was a very good value set of speakers, but almost all logitech speakers sound absolutely dreadful.
The Logitech speakers with the sub woofers are exceptionally bad as they have absolutely zero control over the bass and almost no mids.

May 9, 2011 at 1:42 PM Post #74 of 216
The OP said the Shures are too revealing, so I assume he just wanted something very forgiving. Where good headphones are almost never as forgiving as speakers. Some people describe listening to music with very good speakers as using magnifier to pick out the details and using headphones is like using a microscope. As most good headphones are extremely detailed, I doubt where he said the "lowly" SRH840 is too revealing, any more detailed headphones will do him any good. SRH840 was not the most detailed headphones I have owned for sure, far from it in fact.

I can suggest the OP to get a pair of speakers that have satisfying tone that you like and be happy with it. It shouldn't cost too much.

May 9, 2011 at 2:05 PM Post #75 of 216
The thing with the "extra detail" that headphones give you is that it's usually the detail that no one wants to hear. A lot of the times it's hiss and stuff that just detracts from the music

Good speakers ($500-$1000 range) give you all the detail you probably will ever need

Users who are viewing this thread

Back