speakers sound better then headphones regardless of price
May 7, 2011 at 12:51 PM Post #16 of 216
You preferring the sound of your speakers doesn't mean they are "better". Imo, being better constitutes being more revealing or realistic within that headphones own sound signature/presentation/frequency response. From the sounds of it, you just prefer the presentation of your speakers even if the shure is technically better. If you're looking for soundstage alone or very full-body visceral bass, for example, that's hard to match against speakers. Just as it's hard for speakers to match the details of headphones in a similar price range. To each their own =P

May 7, 2011 at 1:01 PM Post #17 of 216

Quote:
You preferring the sound of your speakers doesn't mean they are "better". Imo, being better constitutes being more revealing or realistic within that headphones own sound signature/presentation/frequency response. From the sounds of it, you just prefer the presentation of your speakers even if the shure is technically better. If you're looking for soundstage alone or very full-body visceral bass, for example, that's hard to match against speakers. Just as it's hard for speakers to match the details of headphones in a similar price range. To each their own =P

sounds about right, i hear more things with the srh 840 and pioneer se m390 but i just enjoy speakers to headphones. they are just more enjoyable, less harsh, less sibilant to me. perhaps this is due to it being away from my ears rather then on them.

May 7, 2011 at 1:02 PM Post #18 of 216
I totally agree with you, and your speakers far exceed mine. I've listened to some high end headphones and I would probably take my modest speaker set up (Paradigm Mini-Monitors powered by a Rotel receiver) over any of those headphones just about every time (the exception being that I listen loud and sometimes don't want to annoy people). The music is just more enjoyable coming out of speakers, mainly because it's not in your head

I think the only headphone that I've heard that I would take over my speaker set up is probably the Grado HP2.  That thing is just magic and I wish I could own one some day. Mind you though, I haven't heard 90% of the SUPER high end headphones. But I'd still wager that I would take a pair of similarly priced speakers over any of those headphones

Quote:
given a choice i'll listen to music through a well thought out speaker system over a well thought out headphone system every single time.

My LCD-2s haven't seen use the last 3 months (other than at the portland and seattle meets)..listening to music on the magnepans is just that much more of a smile inducing experience and that is what draws us to any hobby. 

May 7, 2011 at 1:18 PM Post #19 of 216
Yes and no at the same time. Speakers unfortunately must radiate their sound into a room, which effects the transparency and response of the original speakers with resonance and BIG colorations (sometimes 25dB of difference!) Speakers image way way better then headphones, headphones reach a greater level of transparency and clarity and (depending on the headphone) accuracy then speakers in a real room can ever hope to acheive. and you do hear things different right against your ears, but headphones compensate for that which is why if you look at FR graphs of headphones they usually dip and peak across certain frequency ranges. as far as the value thing goes, in order to get the same level of fidelity from speakers that you can get with 100 dollar headphones, you're gonna have to put down at least 3-500 bucks. to get the same level of fidelity from speakers you would get with 300+ phones (dt 880, HD600, etc) your going to have to put down at the very least 1000. i say this out of experience because i have dabbled in both speakers and headphones through the years and have seen (and heard :p) a lot of different things. speakers do sound more natural imaging wise though, no arguments there.

P.S. Logitech makes some kick @$$ computer speakers for the price you pay!

Quote:
i have a pair of $120 logitech speakers that sound good imo, my question is why do people automatically assume headphones are better value, i find speakers are much better value for your money. my shure srh840 (absolutely amazing for the price) sound worse then my logitechs imo, yet my shures were more money. the shures are definitely not bad headphones i just think perhaps speakers are better value for your money, at least that's what my experience is telling me. do you guys agree with me.

on a side note is this due to the drivers being so close to my ears. i heard you hear things differently when its right up against your ears or in front of you as speakers. is this true?

EDIT: this is not a shure srh840 hate thread, its merely an observation.

May 7, 2011 at 1:26 PM Post #20 of 216
I had a Wharfedale Pi10 speaker powered by a NAD304. Then I hooked up my HD600 straight to the headphone out of my source - a Marantz CD60. No contest, it's the HD600 hands down. And no separate amp, either. Even if I concede the Logitech's advantage over the Shure cans as more on preferences and amplification issues, fact is speakers' advantage in having a physical space to stage and image the recording is heavily dependent on the acoustic qualities of that space. Headphones will eliminate that issue at the cost of overall soundstage size. Even a Stax when compared to a speaker using similar technology will lose on that regard. But put Martin Logans in a crap room, like mine with a concrete exterior wall on one side and the wood interior wall on the other, then a sloped ceiling between them that's 5.5ft at the lowest corner, and I'd trade the ML's for a set of Omegas.

May 7, 2011 at 1:49 PM Post #22 of 216
I stopped reading after I saw logitech lol!

NOTHING from logitech sounds good, they get pummeled by headphones half their price.

But yeah, speakers are more natural sounding than headphones because well, headphones try to emulate speakers. (and a lot of them do it very well).

May 7, 2011 at 1:49 PM Post #23 of 216

I have some very nice computer speakers, Monsoon 702, but I'd rather listen to my headphones.  If my wife is home, I don't have much choice.  I don't have anyplace to set up a good listening room so computer speakers are the best I can do.
Quote:
given a choice i'll listen to music through a well thought out speaker system over a well thought out headphone system every single time.

My LCD-2s haven't seen use the last 3 months (other than at the portland and seattle meets)..listening to music on the magnepans is just that much more of a smile inducing experience and that is what draws us to any hobby. 

You're Maggies aren't Logitech computer speakers. 

May 7, 2011 at 2:00 PM Post #24 of 216

Quote:
I stopped reading after I saw logitech lol!

NOTHING from logitech sounds good, they get pummeled by headphones half their price.

But yeah, speakers are more natural sounding than headphones because well, headphones try to emulate speakers. (and a lot of them do it very well).

May 7, 2011 at 2:38 PM Post #26 of 216
As for speakers beating headphones in terms of soundstage... Well, for most recordings, yes, but if we're talking about binaural, then I'm going to say a confident no. The way binaural or similar technologies recordings can make sound encompass you completely and position sound more accurately than any 7.1 system I've heard is hugely impressive.

The problem, of course, is that pretty much no-one records in binaural or similar technologies.

May 7, 2011 at 2:47 PM Post #27 of 216
As for speakers beating headphones in terms of soundstage... Well, for most recordings, yes, but if we're talking about binaural, then I'm going to say a confident no. The way binaural or similar technologies recordings can make sound encompass you completely and position sound more accurately than any 7.1 system I've heard is hugely impressive.

The problem, of course, is that pretty much no-one records in binaural or similar technologies.

Or there's this. :D

(didn't know about this myself until a couple weeks ago, need to read more lol)

May 7, 2011 at 2:53 PM Post #28 of 216
I have a humble set up for both speaker and headphone listening. Each offers it's own advantages.

Headphones are intimate and private.
Speakers are a freer and more immersing experience.

I don't prefer one over the other, with good gear and tunes both are great, and I wouldn't want to surrender one for the other.

Perhaps you don't have the right headphones for you...

May 7, 2011 at 3:01 PM Post #29 of 216
As for the nth degree of performance, yes speakers are the more enjoyable choice. I still listen to my headphone rig almost exclusively. The headphone fits my main listening environment better.

May 7, 2011 at 3:01 PM Post #30 of 216

Quote:
I have a humble set up for both speaker and headphone listening. Each offers it's own advantages.

Headphones are intimate and private.
Speakers are a freer and more immersing experience.

I don't prefer one over the other, with good gear and tunes both are great, and I wouldn't want to surrender one for the other.

Perhaps you don't have the right headphones for you...

i love my headphones ok, its just i have yet to hear a pair of headphones i prefer over speakers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back