Speaker amps for headphones
Oct 1, 2023 at 11:02 AM Post #3,841 of 3,871
Anyone have good success using a tube speaker power amp or tube speaker integrated to amp with their headphones? Also is the fact most speaker amps Run at an 8 ohm impedance a disadvantage compared to some headphone amplifiers that have a selectable impedance for example for a 300 ome headphone
I run a Primaluna Prologue 4 tube amp to run headphones occasionally (mainly use to run my power-hungry Modhouse Argons) with good success. It does have a little more background noise then a typical headphone amp but sounds great otherwise. The background noise is not an issue with typical music but can be noticeable when listening to classical during quiet passages. The sound stage is also huge when running this amp.

Last edited:
Oct 1, 2023 at 11:50 AM Post #3,842 of 3,871
Anyone have good success using a tube speaker power amp or tube speaker integrated to amp with their headphones? Also is the fact most speaker amps Run at an 8 ohm impedance a disadvantage compared to some headphone amplifiers that have a selectable impedance for example for a 300 ome headphone

I have a 300B power amp that I use to run headphones. I built an attenuator/load-box for it that works well.

Oct 1, 2023 at 3:53 PM Post #3,843 of 3,871
I have a 300B power amp that I use to run headphones. I built an attenuator/load-box for it that works well.
which one ?

Oct 1, 2023 at 3:58 PM Post #3,844 of 3,871
Oct 1, 2023 at 4:44 PM Post #3,845 of 3,871
The Sophia Electric Baby was nice with the HEDDphone:

1696193047936.png

Oct 1, 2023 at 5:09 PM Post #3,846 of 3,871
Last edited:
Oct 1, 2023 at 6:24 PM Post #3,847 of 3,871
How do you guys deal with too much gain on an amp and a preamp/pot with channel imbalance at the start of its range?

Also any low noise tube speaker amps that you guys like for dynamic cans?

Oct 1, 2023 at 7:38 PM Post #3,848 of 3,871
How do you guys deal with too much gain on an amp and a preamp/pot with channel imbalance at the start of its range?

You can purchase some in-line attenuators that you place at the input of the amp. This is probably your best solution available.

Depending on how much attenuation you need, something like this should work for that purpose:

RCA attenuator

Last edited:
Oct 1, 2023 at 7:49 PM Post #3,849 of 3,871

I'm using Rothwell in line xlr attenuators. they come in -10, -15 and -20db options. another alternative is to reduce the output volume of the dac (if it has volume control) or to reduce volume in the digital domain eg using the headroom dsp in Roon.

Oct 1, 2023 at 9:19 PM Post #3,850 of 3,871

I would build one of these:

https://robrobinette.com/RobinetteBox.htm

It not only puts a load on the amp, but it also has a defeat-able resistor attenuation network. There’s a calculator to tell you what resistors to use to achieve the level of attenuation you want.

Oct 1, 2023 at 11:37 PM Post #3,851 of 3,871
I would build one of these:

https://robrobinette.com/RobinetteBox.htm

It not only puts a load on the amp, but it also has a defeat-able resistor attenuation network. There’s a calculator to tell you what resistors to use to achieve the level of attenuation you want.

Egads, this thing is still floating around. I highly recommend removing the entire upper left portion of that schematic. A 4-pole output should never never go to a 3-pole output unless you know with absolute certainty that your amp has a shared common ground on the negatives. Hell, if you already have one built, snip off one of the negative legs going from the XLR4 to the TRS to eliminate any chance of oopsies. It will make zero difference to the TRS output if you have a common ground unbalanced amp.

Oct 1, 2023 at 11:49 PM Post #3,852 of 3,871
Egads, this thing is still floating around. I highly recommend removing the entire upper left portion of that schematic. A 4-pole output should never never go to a 3-pole output unless you know with absolute certainty that your amp has a shared common ground on the negatives. Hell, if you already have one built, snip off one of the negative legs going from the XLR4 to the TRS to eliminate any chance of oopsies. It will make zero difference to the TRS output if you have a common ground unbalanced amp.

Yeah, I do agree with that. The balanced/unbalanced section is a bit weird, but the load and attenuator works well.

Last edited:
Oct 2, 2023 at 4:48 AM Post #3,853 of 3,871

If looking for a 300B or 2A3 speaker amp that is also superb with headphones take a look at Elekit TU-8900 I have been using one for about 18 months with a Chord Dave front end its excellent with both my Senn hd 800 and Hifiman he6 best I've heard both sound in 9-10 years of owning them.

Stereophile have a recent review which includes use with speakers and headphones.

https://www.stereophile.com/content/gramophone-dreams-74-elekit-tu-8900-kit-amplifier

Oct 2, 2023 at 3:27 PM Post #3,854 of 3,871
If looking for a 300B or 2A3 speaker amp that is also superb with headphones take a look at Elekit TU-8900 I have been using one for about 18 months with a Chord Dave front end its excellent with both my Senn hd 800 and Hifiman he6 best I've heard both sound in 9-10 years of owning them.

Stereophile have a recent review which includes use with speakers and headphones.

https://www.stereophile.com/content/gramophone-dreams-74-elekit-tu-8900-kit-amplifier
I had the tu8600 I found its a bit to neutral for my taste. Im looking for something more warm, euphonic and 3d with no negative feedback. I am considering the tu8850 though cause I think you can turn off the negative feedback and then i can use el34 tubes.

Oct 3, 2023 at 6:23 PM Post #3,855 of 3,871
I had the tu8600 I found its a bit to neutral for my taste. Im looking for something more warm, euphonic and 3d with no negative feedback. I am considering the tu8850 though cause I think you can turn off the negative feedback and then i can use el34 tubes.

The TU8900 can also run with or without feedback it's done by simply moving across a jumper tag. There is a very noticeable change in the sonic presentation between having feed back on or off. One of the things I really like is that you can have four different presentations feed on or off with 300B and then the same with 2A3.

All four different presentations are enjoyable different reasons but I tend to listen to 300B no feedback the most.

Still it's not a warm lush sounding amp but certainly not neutral with feedback off.

What output capacitors did you have in your TU8600? If your after a warm textured euphonic sound you should definitely look into running a paper in oil capacitor. In my TU8900 I ran it for probably six months with the V-cap cutf copper teflon but the last six months have been using Russian surplus K75-10 this is a hybrid paper and mylar in oil capacitor which has a unique character this is bypassed with a Duelund JDM silver foil bypass cap. I've used pio capacitors in the past and one of the first thing I noticed straight away was a familiar ease of presentation compared to a modern mkp cap.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back