Speaker amps for headphones
Jan 23, 2023 at 2:01 AM Post #3,811 of 3,871
I picked up a Lyngdorf TDAI-2170 (with HDMI module) and use it with my Abyss 1266 PHI TC (straight from speaker taps) with Raspberry Pi as a source, feeding the amp via i2S. It`s really a great combo, beats all other amps I`ve heard with it. The amp is also dead silent and works great for easier to drive headphones as well.

Feb 11, 2023 at 5:06 PM Post #3,812 of 3,871
I have a Line Magnetic 508ia amp I'm looking to run a pair of soon to be determined headphones. They put out 48W of SET power. I'm wondering if anyone has tried the same, or similar amps with a TOTL headphone.

Feb 11, 2023 at 7:27 PM Post #3,813 of 3,871
I have a Line Magnetic 508ia amp I'm looking to run a pair of soon to be determined headphones. They put out 48W of SET power. I'm wondering if anyone has tried the same, or similar amps with a TOTL headphone.

I'm assuming these have output transformers. Assuming so, you'll want to put a resistor in parallel to better match impedance and to avoid potential damage to your power tubes. I have posted about this earlier in the thread which was pulled together from things I have read in this thread and other threads here on headfi.

Here are examples of what I did with my Primaluna
fzUtwWy.jpg

zS1fbU1.jpg

Last edited:
May 27, 2023 at 9:30 PM Post #3,814 of 3,871
this thread has been pretty quiet..

Just wanna ask, for those using pre/power combos, have u guys looked into any nice new tube preamps recently?

at present, am demoing the Atma-Sphere MP3 and am loving the sound, especially the bass and mids. whilst my current Primaluna Evo 400 pre seems to excel in clarity, airiness, details, cleanliness, and is somewhat upper/mid centric, the Atma-Sphere pre amp seems much more lush, rich, deep, thick and impactful. the Atma-Sphere seems more like what a traditional tube component would sound like, and the Primaluna sounds less so in comparison.

I'd have bought the MP3 straight up but am having minor issues with background noise and I assume it's a gain problem. have ordered some Rothwell attenuators to see if it'll help. at the moment, the gain from the MP3 + the gain from my NAD M23 ends up with a faint background hum even with the Abyss. if I swap to the Apollon purifi amp which has less gain on its lowest setting, I get a nice clean background.

I came across the cary audio slp-05 and backert labs rhythm 1.3 whilst browsing the audiogon forum. whilst the cary is somewhat hit and miss based on the posts there, the backert labs rhythm keeps getting praised. unfortunately the reviews available are quite scant indeed.

I don't have a Backert dealer where I'm at, so if anything it'll be a blind buy. slightly hesitant given the cost; latest 1.4 iteration is USD12.9k, not including shipping and custom taxes. also, if anything happens to the pre down the road, I have to send it back to the USA.

anyone here had the pleasure of trying the Backert preamp? I like the aesthetics, and also the low factory gain of +9dB which I think would match well with both my power amps.

Rhythm_black.jpg

May 27, 2023 at 10:58 PM Post #3,815 of 3,871
That is a lot of money to spend when absolute and total audible transparency in a pre-amp is available for under $1000 easily. I get liking the looks, and if you earn significant money I guess 12K for a big money earner may be like other people spending $1000 so I guess cost is relative. Anyway, I also think that it looks beautiful.

May 27, 2023 at 11:13 PM Post #3,816 of 3,871
That is a lot of money to spend when absolute and total audible transparency in a pre-amp is available for under $1000 easily. I get liking the looks, and if you earn significant money I guess 12K for a big money earner may be like other people spending $1000 so I guess cost is relative. Anyway, I also think that it looks beautiful.

Yes it is quite a sum of money. I guess after a certain point, it becomes relative, like u mentioned. I don't have many hobbies, and my wife let's me indulge in audio as it is a stay home hobby plus she knows music brings me peace at the end of a long day.

have tried audible transparency before (cue Benchmark HPA4, dac3, ahb2) and it just wasn't for me. nowadays, I'm more inclined to purchases that enable music to tug at the heart and evoke some emotions.

And yea, that pre, man... it looks sweet!

May 28, 2023 at 6:07 AM Post #3,817 of 3,871
Just wanna ask, for those using pre/power combos, have u guys looked into any nice new tube preamps recently?

have tried audible transparency before (cue Benchmark HPA4, dac3, ahb2) and it just wasn't for me. nowadays, I'm more inclined to purchases that enable music to tug at the heart and evoke some emotions.

I wholeheartedly agree. Pun intended. There is nothing like sinking into the emotion, adventure and beauty of music after a long day.

The Linear Tube Audio microZOTL pre might be interesting. Have not heard the LTA gear yet, but it shows up in systems that make sense.

Heard a VTL system at Munich High End and while Wilson are not my cup of speakers it was clear VTL understands music. They have tube pres at various price points.

The most musical and colorful presentation at Munich High End to me was with the deVORE O/baby speakers. And I went to a number of cost-no-object rooms. The system there was ‘affordable’ in comparison. John deVore used Audiomat amplifiers.

If you want to knock yourself out, get a Kondo Audionote G-70i pre. You would need a higher end power amp to maximise its potential though. I own one and their reputation is fully justified. Man, how it reveals meaning, conveys color and emotion... And the refinement... These amps have a habit of staying in systems for a long time.

May 28, 2023 at 7:40 AM Post #3,818 of 3,871
this thread has been pretty quiet..

at present, am demoing the Atma-Sphere MP3 and am loving the sound, especially the bass and mids. whilst my current Primaluna Evo 400 pre seems to excel in clarity, airiness, details, cleanliness, and is somewhat upper/mid centric, the Atma-Sphere pre amp seems much more lush, rich, deep, thick and impactful. the Atma-Sphere seems more like what a traditional tube component would sound like, and the Primaluna sounds less so in comparison.

I'd have bought the MP3 straight up but am having minor issues with background noise and I assume it's a gain problem. have ordered some Rothwell attenuators to see if it'll help. at the moment, the gain from the MP3 + the gain from my NAD M23 ends up with a faint background hum even with the Abyss. if I swap to the Apollon purifi amp which has less gain on its lowest setting, I get a nice clean background.

I came across the cary audio slp-05 and backert labs rhythm 1.3 whilst browsing the audiogon forum. whilst the cary is somewhat hit and miss based on the posts there, the backert labs rhythm keeps getting praised. unfortunately the reviews available are quite scant indeed.

I don't have a Backert dealer where I'm at, so if anything it'll be a blind buy. slightly hesitant given the cost; latest 1.4 iteration is USD12.9k, not including shipping and custom taxes. also, if anything happens to the pre down the road, I have to send it back to the USA.

anyone here had the pleasure of trying the Backert preamp? I like the aesthetics, and also the low factory gain of +9dB which I think would match well with both my power amps.

Rhythm_black.jpg
The finish looks beautiful. I was considering the Rhumba Extreme back when I was still searching for a tube preamp. I ended up with the Manley 300B preamp, because I thought I'd go for that amazing 300B sound and all tube design (been rolling tubes like crazy but damn it's fun!). One other consideration is that Manley has a dealer and distributor here in my country so it's easier for after sales services when necessary.

May 28, 2023 at 8:45 AM Post #3,819 of 3,871
I wholeheartedly agree. Pun intended. There is nothing like sinking into the emotion, adventure and beauty of music after a long day.

The Linear Tube Audio microZOTL pre might be interesting. Have not heard the LTA gear yet, but it shows up in systems that make sense.

Heard a VTL system at Munich High End and while Wilson are not my cup of speakers it was clear VTL understands music. They have tube pres at various price points.

The most musical and colorful presentation at Munich High End to me was with the deVORE O/baby speakers. And I went to a number of cost-no-object rooms. The system there was ‘affordable’ in comparison. John deVore used Audiomat amplifiers.

If you want to knock yourself out, get a Kondo Audionote G-70i pre. You would need a higher end power amp to maximise its potential though. I own one and their reputation is fully justified. Man, how it reveals meaning, conveys color and emotion... And the refinement... These amps have a habit of staying in systems for a long time.

Wow u have mentioned some really nice components! VTL has some nice retro aesthetic going on..

I was looking at an LTA preamp but the lack of XLR outs was a bit of a downer. also, have only listened to Z10e but was not too impressed, so am quite hesitant to blind buy an LTA piece..

The finish looks beautiful. I was considering the Rhumba Extreme back when I was still searching for a tube preamp. I ended up with the Manley 300B preamp, because I thought I'd go for that amazing 300B sound and all tube design (been rolling tubes like crazy but damn it's fun!). One other consideration is that Manley has a dealer and distributor here in my country so it's easier for after sales services when necessary.

how's the Manley preamp going for you? I was looking at the spec sheet and it is quite a high gain (?). any issues with background noise?

I don't think I could do the Rhumba.. it only comes in blue/red chassis. I'd go nuts looking at it on my rack.

May 28, 2023 at 12:24 PM Post #3,820 of 3,871
Wow u have mentioned some really nice components! VTL has some nice retro aesthetic going on..

One more. Have not heard Concert Fidelity amps, but it is a brand Stereolab represents – the shop of recently deceased cable magician Chris Sommovigo. I own his Trøn digital cables and know his ears were in the right place.

http://www.concertfidelity.jp/

I am in the process of getting a Kondo Melius power amp to go with the G70-i. Let’s see / hear how that turns out.

May 28, 2023 at 6:23 PM Post #3,821 of 3,871
how's the Manley preamp going for you? I was looking at the spec sheet and it is quite a high gain (?). any issues with background noise?

I don't think I could do the Rhumba.. it only comes in blue/red chassis. I'd go nuts looking at it on my rack.
Can't live without it. It's been the heart and soul of my system for the past 2 years as it infuses the 300B character into the sound (fantastic sound with the Elrogs and WEs). And zero issues whatsoever with background noise.

May 29, 2023 at 5:58 AM Post #3,822 of 3,871
Can't live without it. It's been the heart and soul of my system for the past 2 years as it infuses the 300B character into the sound (fantastic sound with the Elrogs and WEs). And zero issues whatsoever with background noise.

Oh my bad. I read it wrongly. it's 12dB gain at max. pretty close to Primaluna at 10dB so no wonder it is quiet.

I think I'm going to bite the bullet and give the Backert Rhythm pre a go. Andy at Backert has been extremely helpful with my question, and very forthcoming with information. he has also given comparisons from his customers who had owned my current preamp as well as preamps from Audio Research (6SE).

hopefully it is end game (don't know how many times I've said this by now). worst come to worst, I don't like it and send it back and am out shipping both ways.

May 29, 2023 at 6:09 AM Post #3,823 of 3,871
hopefully it is end game (don't know how many times I've said this by now). worst come to worst, I don't like it and send it back and am out shipping both ways.
If shipping two ways is all it costs, certainly go for it.

May 29, 2023 at 6:10 AM Post #3,824 of 3,871
Oh my bad. I read it wrongly. it's 12dB gain at max. pretty close to Primaluna at 10dB so no wonder it is quiet.

I think I'm going to bite the bullet and give the Backert Rhythm pre a go. Andy at Backert has been extremely helpful with my question, and very forthcoming with information. he has also given comparisons from his customers who had owned my current preamp as well as preamps from Audio Research (6SE).

I hope it’s going to sound great on your system. Do let us know how it sounds! If it doesn’t work out for you, perhaps you can have a go at Supratek Cabernet DHT. I’d personally go for a 300B or other DHT based preamp as it’s impossible to un-hear that sound once you have a listen to it 👌🏼

May 29, 2023 at 7:55 AM Post #3,825 of 3,871

I just read all about the Rhythm preamp on the company's website. It may well sound great, but as an owner of the ARC Ref 6SE, I won't be going out of my way to audition one based on what I saw there.
  • Though not stated explicitly, I surmise the preamp employs single-ended circuitry internally. That's a deal-breaker in a reference component... for me.
  • The tube complement is 2 x 12au7. Seriously??
  • The "technical" explanation of the superiority of their power supply technology, using a water in a barrel analogy, didn't wash. Apologies for the (bad) pun.
  • From what I can tell, the remote only controls volume. The Ref 6SE remote controls practically every function of the preamp.
  • The Ref 6SE has a superb display, easily visible from the listening position.
  • There is no comparison in the build quality (circuit board or chassis) between the two products. The Ref 6SE wins handily.
  • The Rhythm has only one XLR output; the Ref 6SE has two, which is critical in my setup.
Even though this product doesn’t have my name written on it, I'm quite interested to read your impressions of it, if you go ahead with the purchase. Best of luck finding your endgame preamp, wherever that takes you.:relaxed:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back