Speaker amps for headphones
Oct 3, 2023 at 6:25 PM Post #3,856 of 3,871
The TU8900 can also run with or without feedback it's done by simply moving across a jumper tag. There is a very noticeable change in the sonic presentation between having feed back on or off. One of the things I really like is that you can have four different presentations feed on or off with 300B and then the same with 2A3.

All four different presentations are enjoyable different reasons but I tend to listen to 300B no feedback the most.

Still it's not a warm lush sounding amp but certainly not neutral with feedback off.

What output capacitors did you have in your TU8600? If your after a warm textured euphonic sound you should definitely look into running a paper in oil capacitor. In my TU8900 I ran it for probably six months with the V-cap cutf copper teflon but the last six months have been using Russian surplus K75-10 this is a hybrid paper and mylar in oil capacitor which has a unique character this is bypassed with a Duelund JDM silver foil bypass cap. I've used pio capacitors in the past and one of the first thing I noticed straight away was a familiar ease of presentation compared to a modern mkp cap.
Vcap ODAM.

I think also SS rectification in elekit is probably hold it back from the sound im chasing. But ya would be interesting to try no-feedback with duelands.

I wish they considered other OPTs as well. Seems everyone is obsessed with lundahl.

Oct 3, 2023 at 6:51 PM Post #3,857 of 3,871
Vcap ODAM.

I think also SS rectification in elekit is probably hold it back from the sound im chasing. But ya would be interesting to try no-feedback with duelands.

I wish they considered other OPTs as well. Seems everyone is obsessed with lundahl.

Agree solid-state rectification can be a double edged sword.

Have you looked at the Sun valley 300B with the Hashimoto opts and tube rectification?

There's a new SunValley 45 amp also with Hashimoto opts due out soon but probably not enough power to run harder to drive headphones.

Both look tempting.

https://www.diyaudio.com/community/threads/sunvalley-sv-s1645-45-tube-project.396134/

https://www.diyaudio.com/community/threads/sunvalley-sv-s1616d-300b.371736/

Oct 24, 2023 at 10:15 PM Post #3,858 of 3,871
20231024_183522.jpg

20231024_184543-01.jpeg

Just got the Atma-Sphere monoblocks in. they're a lot bigger than I expected. can't fit both side by side on my rack.. might have to place them on the floor. they're built very well. solid pieces indeed. they sound good out of the box, perhaps missing a bit of low end; hope this will fill in with use. Ralph @ atmasphere tells me ~400 hrs running in.

Last edited:
Mar 4, 2024 at 6:10 PM Post #3,859 of 3,871
Not seeing a lot of ongoing action on this thread- considering buying Schiit Tyr monoblocks to run Susvaras. Will use a Zynsonix adapter box (10 ohm parallel resistors, with option to include 0, low (60 ohm) and high (300 ohm) resistors in series. Anyone out there have experience with the Tyrs and headphones, pls chime in.

Mar 4, 2024 at 6:12 PM Post #3,860 of 3,871
Not seeing a lot of ongoing action on this thread- considering buying Schiit Tyr monoblocks to run Susvaras. Will use a Zynsonix adapter box (10 ohm parallel resistors, with option to include 0, low (60 ohm) and high (300 ohm) resistors in series. Anyone out there have experience with the Tyrs and headphones, pls chime in.
I have no experience with that but was wondering when somebody tries Tyr monoblocks with Zynsonix Adapter Box.

Keep us updated, if you try it

Mar 4, 2024 at 9:08 PM Post #3,861 of 3,871
I have no experience with that but was wondering when somebody tries Tyr monoblocks with Zynsonix Adapter Box.

Keep us updated, if you try it
There is a fellow who tried it on SBAF (if you don’t mind lurking there I never post there as I value my hide which is too thin) who tried it -
Here

@Christof about 1/3 of the way down the page BUT he did not try with the Sus. Watts wise I’m sure it will be fine, but no info out there on SQ or technicalities - some concern here that it may be too bright or mids may be pushed too far back in the stage.

Last edited:
Mar 5, 2024 at 3:53 AM Post #3,862 of 3,871
There is a fellow who tried it on SBAF (if you don’t mind lurking there I never lost there as I value my hide which is too thin) who tried it -
Here

@Christof about 1/3 of the way down the page BUT he did not try with the Sus. Watts wise I’m sure it will be fine, but no info out there on SQ or technicalities - some concern here that it may be too bright or mids may be pushed too far back in the stage.
Thanks for sharing.
My concern with speakeramps on headphones is usually noise. With the Susvara less of an issue but with other headphones it might be.

Impressive is that the Tyr apparently can drive the Raal SR-1A directly without Interface.
That's like 0.2 Ohm

Mar 5, 2024 at 8:57 AM Post #3,863 of 3,871
Thanks for sharing.
My concern with speakeramps on headphones is usually noise. With the Susvara less of an issue but with other headphones it might be.

Impressive is that the Tyr apparently can drive the Raal SR-1A directly without Interface.
That's like 0.2 Ohm
If I ‘go for it’ I will definitely post impressions here. I was aware of the ‘noise’ concern and too was under the impression that it was an expected problem for low impedance, easy to drive headphones. Agree re the Raals- even more surprising that the amps running those didn’t go into protective shutdown.

This thread is an important Head-fi resource. Thanks to all who have contributed to it over the years.

Mar 26, 2024 at 8:17 PM Post #3,864 of 3,871
For those on the fence - I've found a lot of magic in the combination of high impedance headphones and low powered tube speaker amps. In my case the combination of the Shindo Cortese + ZMF Verite Open has provided a window into the music that many other high dollar dedicated headphone amps lacked. YMMV but having a very competent speaker front end put to work on your headphones is definitely worth a shot.

Mar 31, 2024 at 5:55 PM Post #3,865 of 3,871
For those on the fence - I've found a lot of magic in the combination of high impedance headphones and low powered tube speaker amps. In my case the combination of the Shindo Cortese + ZMF Verite Open has provided a window into the music that many other high dollar dedicated headphone amps lacked. YMMV but having a very competent speaker front end put to work on your headphones is definitely worth a shot.

Intriguing to say the least. What tube head amps did you compare to the cortese ?

Apr 1, 2024 at 1:34 AM Post #3,866 of 3,871
From what I've heard the HD800 tend to just not respond well to speaker amps. It works well with orthos though.

Someone with more experience than I will contribute, but I'd be very careful.

I'm using the Hifiman HE6 speaker tap adapter box on my Marantz PM8004 for my Senn 800. They react EXTREMELY well. There's more power, punch, and air to everything. Maybe some slightly better detail but really it kind of explodes the presentation into such a sweet sound it's really ridiculous.

Apr 1, 2024 at 9:13 PM Post #3,867 of 3,871
I'm using the Hifiman HE6 speaker tap adapter box on my Marantz PM8004 for my Senn 800. They react EXTREMELY well. There's more power, punch, and air to everything. Maybe some slightly better detail but really it kind of explodes the presentation into such a sweet sound it's really ridiculous.
I hope this isn't an April Fool's comment because this is what I noticed. Much stronger dynamics and larger soundstage.

Apr 1, 2024 at 9:21 PM Post #3,868 of 3,871
I hope this isn't an April Fool's comment because this is what I noticed. Much stronger dynamics and larger soundstage.
:darthsmile: Same thing happened on my 600 too. There's an authority about them that never used to exist and there's a LOT more air between the instruments.

I should have been using an amp for my stuff years ago. I've noticed the same effect on all my 600, 800, LCD 2.2 and HE6se V2 phones. The HE6se V2 in particular gets a deeper, richer sound with additional soundstage.

I sent my buddy an early Christmas present - the HE adapter. He never had one and only had a Joti 2 to run his stuff. He was wanting one and I just did it for him. He should be pretty happy.

Last edited:
Apr 2, 2024 at 2:31 PM Post #3,869 of 3,871
Intriguing to say the least. What tube head amps did you compare to the cortese ?
In no way an exhaustive list (I'm more of a speaker person for most of my listening) but I have heard several Woo amps including the WA33, Audeze's "The King" - admittedly a hybrid, LebenCS300, bunch of ECP custom builds. I'm sure there are dedicated headphone amps (Mass Kobo anyone) that would prove the equal of or surpass what I've experienced, but the surprising takeaway for me was that I could use the chain I was already honing for a different purpose and focus my energy on optimizing a single setup vs. building a second rig.

Apr 2, 2024 at 5:30 PM Post #3,870 of 3,871
Attached is my current setup. I have the iFi Zen One Signature in there too but it's not shown. I was using the NAD 3020 as a preamp but decided I didn't like the sound of it in the chain on my headphones. So now I just run the Marantz PM8004 as the amp into the HE adapter.

Attachments

• Amp Setup - Imgur.jpg
    Amp Setup - Imgur.jpg
    585.2 KB · Views: 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back