Speaker amps for headphones
Mar 25, 2021 at 9:29 AM Post #3,526 of 3,871
I never accidentally bumped a volume control ever.
On the other hand the same applies to strong headamps like wells audio or schiit ragnarok.
Yes, a curious quandary. I might worry about my ears more than phones at these points.

Mar 25, 2021 at 10:55 AM Post #3,529 of 3,871
Technically neither are whatever amps you may be referencing.
I'm referencing the wattage that was specified by the OP a few pages ago. Granted, that's likely an 8 ohm rating so it will change depending on the headphone load and any accompanying resistor network. My point is, it's a lot of power so you better do some maths and figure out what your cans will be exposed to before giving it a go.

Mar 25, 2021 at 11:05 AM Post #3,530 of 3,871
I'm referencing the wattage that was specified by the OP a few pages ago. Granted, that's likely an 8 ohm rating so it will change depending on the headphone load and any accompanying resistor network. My point is, it's a lot of power so you better do some maths and figure out what your cans will be exposed to before giving it a go.
Yes, I was being transparently cheeky.

These numbers are, in fact, a bit arbitrary. My CFA3 15 watt/50 ohm headamp is no more likely to blow drivers than the Ragnarok's 10 watt/50 ohm than a Pass 24 watt watt/50 ohm. There is no magical number to reach a failure. Which is why your accidentally bumping the volume was a humorous comment.

It might be better to do the math and figure out what your ears will be exposed to. As all of these amps can absolutely deafen you well before their maximum.

Mar 25, 2021 at 11:54 AM Post #3,531 of 3,871
Apr 18, 2021 at 8:28 AM Post #3,532 of 3,871
B.
If you don't exceed the max power for the headphone you are fine. A 500 watt amp can do 5 watts if the input signal level is controlled and/or the volume/gain is used properly. IMHO. I have used a Hafler DH500 (true 300 watts into 8 ohms) to drive my HE1000 and HE6 direct from the speaker terminals. Keeping the preamp volume at reasonable levels I could maintain 80 to 85 DB no sweat. I would never open the thing up, but I am sure my ears would quit before the headphones if I had ever had tried.

The chart only shows what happens at max output for a given amp... Amps are seldom run at their max power levels. Neither do you want to... but then you are in control of that. In my experience, any kind of resistor network (and I tried several different networks and types of resistors) reduces sound quality.
MIT cables is going to be knocking down your door for saying things like that 😂

+1 on all your advice.

Apr 19, 2021 at 2:46 PM Post #3,534 of 3,871
Has anyone heard or know anything about the Willsenton R8 Tube Integrated Amplifier
I've seen youtube Videos hyping it up really hard, but didn't read anything here on head-fi.
Nor did I hear it myself.

Youtube did suggest that it is quite good for the money tho

Apr 26, 2021 at 1:41 AM Post #3,536 of 3,871
I've been using the Chord Etude with the Susvara and Abyss and it's pretty nice. It adds some heft and I do feel both the cans extend lower a little more easily through the amp. I got mostly the same impressions from the Pass XA25, but I might consider keeping this one a bit longer because, unlike the Pass, it runs cool and I can pick it up with one hand and not need a hand cart. It's a stunningly beautiful amp and very eye catching, especially when turned on.

Question I have for you all is do you unplug and plug headphones to the speaker tap adapter while the amp is on? I always try to be safe and turn off the amp, but is it enough just to mute the source? It's hard to A/B headphones when I have to wait 30 seconds in between! The Etude does it's thing to power off safely and tests the fans at power on, so there's a little delay because of that. I also generally just don't like turning things off and on and would rather keep them powered on.

20210426_013853.jpg

Apr 26, 2021 at 1:57 AM Post #3,538 of 3,871
How do you find Etude's fans? I know some folks complained that TToby gets quite loud.
They only spin up for a second when I power it on as part of the startup process. I haven't heard them at all otherwise. This was also a concern of mine, but after hours of pumping music to the Susvara and Abyss it is barely warmer than room temperature right now. I don't think they'll need to kick in for headphones.

Apr 26, 2021 at 2:03 AM Post #3,539 of 3,871
I've been using the Chord Etude with the Susvara and Abyss and it's pretty nice. It adds some heft and I do feel both the cans extend lower a little more easily through the amp. I got mostly the same impressions from the Pass XA25, but I might consider keeping this one a bit longer because, unlike the Pass, it runs cool and I can pick it up with one hand and not need a hand cart. It's a stunningly beautiful amp and very eye catching, especially when turned on.

Question I have for you all is do you unplug and plug headphones to the speaker tap adapter while the amp is on? I always try to be safe and turn off the amp, but is it enough just to mute the source? It's hard to A/B headphones when I have to wait 30 seconds in between! The Etude does it's thing to power off safely and tests the fans at power on, so there's a little delay because of that. I also generally just don't like turning things off and on and would rather keep them powered on.

20210426_013853.jpg
Yes, it should be safe with a solid state amp at quiescence.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back