Speaker amps for headphones
Jul 13, 2021 at 12:53 AM Post #3,556 of 3,871
Speaker amps, especially these TOTL ones, are such fantastic investments, lol. Esp if you drive speakers as well! :)
Hahahha exactly. I bought this for my NS5000 and now using it also for my ATC SCM7 nearfields and now it can run all my headphones :D

I am thinking about trying a pure tube headamp though because everyone on the discord keeps crying about the beauty of tubes. I guess another option though is a tube preamp + headamp!

Jul 13, 2021 at 10:11 AM Post #3,557 of 3,871
Speaker amps, especially these TOTL ones, are such fantastic investments for the SQ, lol. Esp if you drive speakers as well! :)

You don't even have to buy TOTL speaker amps to make your headphones sing. Second hand speaker amps from Marantz, Pioneer, Mark Levinson can give a tremendous bang for the buck.

Jul 13, 2021 at 12:22 PM Post #3,558 of 3,871
You don't even have to buy TOTL speaker amps to make your headphones sing. Second hand speaker amps from Marantz, Pioneer, Mark Levinson can give a tremendous bang for the buck.
That’s very true. Even a Marantz outperforms several TOTL HP amps, with lots of HPs, including but not limited to the Susvara.

Jul 13, 2021 at 12:46 PM Post #3,559 of 3,871
And Chord Electronics (especially if you live in the UK) !

Jul 13, 2021 at 1:00 PM Post #3,560 of 3,871
The Hifiman EF1000 is interesting as it has been designed to run the Susvara to the max (which it does fantastically) and it also runs my small Focal Electra 1008 Be's unbelievably well as well as my Chord Mezzo 140 Speaker Amp which also runs my Susvara's very well (although not as good as the EF1000 can!)

Jul 13, 2021 at 2:02 PM Post #3,561 of 3,871
Hahahha exactly. I bought this for my NS5000 and now using it also for my ATC SCM7 nearfields and now it can run all my headphones :D

I am thinking about trying a pure tube headamp though because everyone on the discord keeps crying about the beauty of tubes. I guess another option though is a tube preamp + headamp!
I use a tube preamp + speaker amp for my cans. They're perfect for me.

Jul 13, 2021 at 9:48 PM Post #3,562 of 3,871
Jul 13, 2021 at 10:05 PM Post #3,563 of 3,871
I use a tube preamp + speaker amp for my cans. They're perfect for me.
Do you also use a tube amp or is it SS? I’m also going the same route. Waiting for manley 300b preamp to come. Hopefully it’ll be quiet enough with no significant hum/noise.

Jul 13, 2021 at 10:52 PM Post #3,564 of 3,871
Do you also use a tube amp or is it SS? I’m also going the same route. Waiting for manley 300b preamp to come. Hopefully it’ll be quiet enough with no significant hum/noise.
I use a tube pre into an ss power amp. I enjoy this configuration very much. Mine is dead quiet and I dunno if it’s because it’s a hybrid combo or if it’s a very good pre or it’s a good pairing. I am considering getting a cayin ha-300 because I also liked it when I heard it; do share with us your feedback on the Manley 300b because that’s also a very interesting option!

With this configuration it’s also very easy to revert to a pure SS when I feel like it.

Jul 13, 2021 at 11:11 PM Post #3,565 of 3,871
How are you liking your musical paradise ?
I enjoy it very much. I prefer having it in my chain. I upgraded the tubes right away so I cannot comment on the stock tubes; it’s not expensive to significantly improve the sound with the new tubes. Lots of inexpensive options, and the preamp is compatible with a plethora of diff tube types. It’s also easy to upgrade the caps, no soldering required. Adds to the hobby enjoyment. I’ve yet to upgrade the caps, and it’s a consensus that a cap upgrade will again result in an obvious step up in the SQ even if it already sounds good now. I look forward to that. It’s a very solid product and I don’t think anyone who’s had it could have any negatives to say. Except maybe the bulk; it is larger than my dac and amp combined.

Jul 13, 2021 at 11:12 PM Post #3,566 of 3,871
I use a tube pre into an ss power amp. I enjoy this configuration very much. Mine is dead quiet and I dunno if it’s because it’s a hybrid combo or if it’s a very good pre or it’s a good pairing. I am considering getting a cayin ha-300 because I also liked it when I heard it; do share with us your feedback on the Manley 300b because that’s also a very interesting option!

With this configuration it’s also very easy to revert to a pure SS when I feel like it.
Also curious on ha-300, likewise please share with us your impressions if you do get one.

Jul 20, 2021 at 7:45 AM Post #3,567 of 3,871
Is there a way to know whether it's safe to attach a susvara directly to the speaker taps of a tube amplifier? Is it automatic that you need resistors for all tube amplifiers that you'll attach a susvara / abyss tc to?

Jul 20, 2021 at 8:44 AM Post #3,568 of 3,871
Is there a way to know whether it's safe to attach a susvara directly to the speaker taps of a tube amplifier? Is it automatic that you need resistors for all tube amplifiers that you'll attach a susvara / abyss tc to?
It's probably always safe to drive a Susvara directly from a tube amp. If the tube amp has an output transformer, then it's a bad idea (for the amp) to power it on with no load (headphone, speaker, or shunt resistors) attached.

Jul 20, 2021 at 9:35 AM Post #3,569 of 3,871
It's probably always safe to drive a Susvara directly from a tube amp. If the tube amp has an output transformer, then it's a bad idea (for the amp) to power it on with no load (headphone, speaker, or shunt resistors) attached.
Yeah, I agree a tube amp will require a load connected to it. I have just seen multiple posts with differing messages — some people say that you’ll need the hifiman adapter when connecting a Susvara to a tube amp and then I have read some people connect their tube amp to the Susvara directly; So I wondered if it depends on the tube amp and whether being able to connect the Sus directly would depend on the tube amp’s specs…

Jul 20, 2021 at 9:55 AM Post #3,570 of 3,871
Yeah, I agree a tube amp will require a load connected to it. I have just seen multiple posts with differing messages — some people say that you’ll need the hifiman adapter when connecting a Susvara to a tube amp and then I have read some people connect their tube amp to the Susvara directly; So I wondered if it depends on the tube amp and whether being able to connect the Sus directly would depend on the tube amp’s specs…
The only reasons you need an adapter are to protect the amp and/or to reduce the max power that can be fed to the headphone. There is no reason you can't connect a headphone directly to ANY tube amp if you never power the amp without a load and are careful with the volume control. An adapter may not be a bad idea for peace of mind, but it's never mandatory.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back