Speaker amps for headphones
Jul 24, 2015 at 2:25 PM Post #3,061 of 3,871
I also got a NuPrime IDA-8 today. Holy balls this thing is nice...

After a couple more days with this thing... damn this little thing is killer. Yeah sure it doesn't quite have the bass slam from the big class A operation of the 45 lb Bryston that requires a separate stand next to my table...

But it sounds pretty darn tootin' good for a fraction of the size and weight, the built in dac is very good (I've used the analog outs to feed the Brystons), oh hey it's also got bluetooth so I can stream from my smartphone. I've played with a bunch of class D options for my HE-6, and this one is coming out on top. Resolving power is equal to or better than the monstrous power amps I've been comparing against. And there's a handy dandy remote!

Jul 24, 2015 at 5:11 PM Post #3,062 of 3,871
Noise floor?

Jul 24, 2015 at 5:58 PM Post #3,063 of 3,871
Unfortunately seems rather high. I didn't notice with my HE-6. It's noticeable but not bad on the HD650, but the HD598 is quite loud. (this is tapped straight in, no resistor pad)

edit: actually I wonder if there is something wrong going on... the specs should be much better for noise floor... I've sent an email to them

Oct 31, 2015 at 8:48 PM Post #3,064 of 3,871
I've been using an Emo-mini-x , to power my HE500's. I just purchased a parasound zamp v.3. I bought the parasound for cosmetic reasons. It stacks better with my Zdac.
I'm using a 1/4" to banana adapter plug and I know that the amp used, should have a "Common Ground".
With that said , I'm uncertain if the Zamp is compatible.
The only info I could gather, is this pic describing the ground situation, regarding the amp.

I'm guessing that the switch on the back is the determining factor. Any help with conformation is much appreciated.
Cheers

Nov 2, 2015 at 9:58 AM Post #3,067 of 3,871
Simply measure for continuity between the amp's black negative terminals (with the amp unplugged). If you get a continuity beep from your multimeter you have a common ground (single ended output).

Nov 9, 2015 at 6:59 AM Post #3,068 of 3,871
The ground lift switch doesn't have anything to do with the speaker common ground.

Unless you want to bond the the amplifier (i.e. speaker) common to earth ground!

Nov 9, 2015 at 9:24 AM Post #3,069 of 3,871
Chris, Guido was asking if the ground lift switch affected how he would interface his headphones to his amp and in this context "The ground lift switch doesn't have anything to do with the speaker common ground" is a plain and understandable answer. Yes, we all know the ground lift switch affects all amplifier internal grounds.

Nov 22, 2015 at 3:50 AM Post #3,070 of 3,871
  As long as you're careful with the volume, you can use any speaker amp to power headphones.

So are resistors necessary for higher volumes? Does it depend on the cans? I'm running Abyss directly to a Moon 600i (which is amazing btw)!

Nov 22, 2015 at 4:09 PM Post #3,071 of 3,871
Resistors in parallel can protect the amp if it's a output transformer coupled tube amp.

Resistors in series/divider arrangement will drop the load across the headphones to present lower output (and thereby protect them).

In your situation neither is necessary as long as you don't crank the volume up.

Nov 22, 2015 at 4:22 PM Post #3,072 of 3,871
  Resistors in parallel can protect the amp if it's a output transformer coupled tube amp.

Resistors in series/divider arrangement will drop the load across the headphones to present lower output (and thereby protect them).

In your situation neither is necessary as long as you don't crank the volume up.

Can you define crank volume?

The 600i volume ranges from 0-80 and I'm usually at 45. Sometimes 55 if I'm really into it :¬)

Nov 22, 2015 at 4:26 PM Post #3,073 of 3,871
If you're not pushing it to deafening levels, you should be fine.

Nov 22, 2015 at 4:45 PM Post #3,075 of 3,871

Thanks. Would there be any indications that it was being pushed too much - sound degradation?

As he said. Too loud. Much too loud.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back