Speaker amps for headphones
Nov 22, 2015 at 4:48 PM Post #3,076 of 3,871
If you push it until clipping, you'll notice... but it'll hurt your ears by then.

Nov 23, 2015 at 9:07 AM Post #3,078 of 3,871
Remember the first time you connected your headphones to the speaker amp and turned the volume up to hear what it did to the soundstage? A "wow" moment. The first time I felt headphones came close to portraying a speaker like presentation. The spatial ques were stunning.

Nov 23, 2015 at 10:46 AM Post #3,079 of 3,871
Remember the first time you connected your headphones to the speaker amp and turned the volume up to hear what it did to the soundstage? A "wow" moment. The first time I felt headphones came close to portraying a speaker like presentation. The spatial ques were stunning.

Yes indeed, the soundstage - not just size, but accuracy - is wonderful. Like I said, I can't wait to pair this amp with a capable DAC.

Nov 23, 2015 at 12:11 PM Post #3,080 of 3,871

And now so many kilobucks later, still chasing that elusive wow moment like the first time but not quite finding it, because we're all crazy...

Nov 23, 2015 at 12:29 PM Post #3,081 of 3,871
No, it's discovery. A bit crazy sure.

Going to the high end stereo stores and hearing what the speaker amp can do lets you discover a higher experience and not spending your own money in discovery.

Nov 30, 2015 at 2:09 PM Post #3,082 of 3,871
Quick report - Abyss through the Moon 600i (and now the Lumin A1 as planned) is incredible.

The soundstage has become holographic, the sound itself organic, realistic and tangible.

A dream team of equipment :¬)

P.S. blew the fuse on the 600i by disconnecting the headphones from the speaker to XLR adapter while the amp was on standby. A scary moment! 

Dec 6, 2015 at 10:50 PM Post #3,084 of 3,871
I got a Yamaha P7000s amp a couple weeks ago. Plenty of power, silent (the fan never even came on), but the sound is... a bit on the sterile side. Lots of punch, but lacking in warmth. I'd run subs on this for sure, but not tops or headphones.

Jan 18, 2016 at 7:50 AM Post #3,085 of 3,871
I have an abyss on order and have a ragnarok. But was wondering if my luxman l80 with the HiFiMAN HE-Adapter  could be used with the abyss as I really enjoy its warmth and punchy tight bass.

Also the ragnarok in the Australian summer is basically turning this room into a sauna, so would be nice to have an alternative.

Thanks

Jan 19, 2016 at 9:38 AM Post #3,086 of 3,871
I have an abyss on order and have a ragnarok. But was wondering if my luxman l80 with the HiFiMAN HE-Adapter  could be used with the abyss as I really enjoy its warmth and punchy tight bass.

Also the ragnarok in the Australian summer is basically turning this room into a sauna, so would be nice to have an alternative.

Thanks
Yes it can be used. As mentioned and I think prudent to continue to mention, always keep your volume knob at 0/low when using any headphone on a speaker amp. Don't think planars are the only headphone that can be used either. The noise floor is the only thing that may be a turnoff on more sensitive headphones but you won't know until you try. Also, make sure if you use a common return/ground headphone that your amp is also a common return/ground output. The way to confirm this is to measure the resistance between the two returns. Low resistance means they are connected. In that case, it's ok to do. If not, then a 4 pin connection is required. You can use a 4 pin adapter on a common return amp. A 4 pin connection treats each driver independently as a speaker connection does. Many headphones will share a common return between drivers. Connecting a common return driver circuit to a mono/dual mono/balanced output amp can damage the amp. TRS connectors are not 4 pin circuits so only a 4 pin XLR connector with separate returns will work.

Jan 24, 2016 at 5:38 AM Post #3,087 of 3,871
First of all I want to say a big thank you to Rob Robinette for your incredible schematics and guides over at https://robrobinette.com/RobinetteBox.htm. You inspired this project and I could not have done it without your website!

This is the state of my take on the Robinette Box project I started around October 2014 
biggrin.gif
 Over the past 1.5 years I've been sourcing components for this project, and I decided I should not settle for anything but perfect (as well as affordable) parts.

Originally I had the ambition to make a selector switch to switch between 2 different network configs. As time passed, I scrapped this idea and started planning for a static, super-small enclosure network "box". I really wanted to make it as compact as possible so I would be able to tuck it away somewhere behind my amp (potentially even inside the amp chassi).

Yesterday I noticed I finally had all the components needed to try to assemble the box (including the crucial component "TIME"). 

I call it the esmBOX 
biggrin.gif

Jan 24, 2016 at 11:48 AM Post #3,088 of 3,871
  First of all I want to say a big thank you to Rob Robinette for your incredible schematics and guides over at https://robrobinette.com/RobinetteBox.htm. You inspired this project and I could not have done it without your website!

This is the state of my take on the Robinette Box project I started around October 2014 
biggrin.gif
 Over the past 1.5 years I've been sourcing components for this project, and I decided I should not settle for anything but perfect (as well as affordable) parts.

Originally I had the ambition to make a selector switch to switch between 2 different network configs. As time passed, I scrapped this idea and started planning for a static, super-small enclosure network "box". I really wanted to make it as compact as possible so I would be able to tuck it away somewhere behind my amp (potentially even inside the amp chassi).

Yesterday I noticed I finally had all the components needed to try to assemble the box (including the crucial component "TIME"). 

I call it the esmBOX 
biggrin.gif

Now you just need to get a parts list / where to get the parts, so I can build one too
wink.gif

Jan 24, 2016 at 5:30 PM Post #3,089 of 3,871
Oh for the luvapete, it's an L-pad guys. There's a hundred schematics and plans online. Heck, you can buy premade adjustable ones for cheap: http://www.parts-express.com/cat/speaker-l-pads/306

Add a box, some wire, and a pair of binding posts and call it a day.

Jan 24, 2016 at 8:50 PM Post #3,090 of 3,871
  Oh for the luvapete, it's an L-pad guys. There's a hundred schematics and plans online. Heck, you can buy premade adjustable ones for cheap: http://www.parts-express.com/cat/speaker-l-pads/306

Add a box, some wire, and a pair of binding posts and call it a day.

While I have you here,:)  Have you any personal experience using something like this?

http://www.hifisoundconnection.com/Shop/Control/Product/fp/vpid/1564285/vpcsid/0/SFV/30046

They are made for car audio, but use transformers to drop the line voltage. I am curious if this could be a workaround for common grounded amps

Users who are viewing this thread

Back