Speaker amps for headphones
Jan 30, 2015 at 10:52 PM Post #2,988 of 3,871
I only use integrated amps now with my headphones.  This amp beat out every headphone amp I've owned and all the ones I've heard.

Yes, but what about compared to other speaker amps?

Jan 30, 2015 at 11:06 PM Post #2,990 of 3,871
  Thanks, I've been checking Schiit stuff out for the past couple of hours, I might pull the trigger on a Magni 2 Uber, and maybe a DAC. 

I have the Magni 1 and the Modi 2.  I'm very happy with the pair. 

Jan 31, 2015 at 11:11 PM Post #2,992 of 3,871
  Thanks, I've been checking Schiit stuff out for the past couple of hours, I might pull the trigger on a Magni 2 Uber, and maybe a DAC. 

Hey there are plenty of stupid good deals to be had on used slightly vintage gear. You should be able to find decent class A amps with 30 - 80watts very affordably. If you are ever likely to have a custom headphone cable made for a can you love, make sure that you consider having the extra work done to have the speaker tap section made as a separate section. That way if you ever want to have an integrated amp and speaker tap you're ready to go. Like others in this thread, I will likely never need to go back to a dedicated head amp again, just no need. I will invest in new DAC advances as they come out. I have owned plenty of Schiit gear (still do) and I love their stuff so no matter what you do it sounds like you're well on your way to a good rig.

Feb 1, 2015 at 4:54 PM Post #2,993 of 3,871
Yeah, when people calculate out how loud it gets, it's possible that the sound output FR could be uneven.  Although people say, that's enough wattage for this output level.  Perhaps at certain frequency(s), but do we know if the sound output is leveled to the headphones capabilites to push out the dynamics.  It appears that HE-6 is a culprit for this. 

Huh?

Feb 1, 2015 at 4:56 PM Post #2,994 of 3,871
Yes, but what about compared to other speaker amps?

What other speaker amps?
Pass Labs crush all other speaker amps. :D

I once used my Pass Labs X-150 to drive a pair of balanced Sennheiser HD-424, they've never sounded better.....
It has the same power amp as the Integrated Amp in the photo.

Feb 1, 2015 at 6:17 PM Post #2,995 of 3,871
What other speaker amps?
Pass Labs crush all other speaker amps.
biggrin.gif

I once used my Pass Labs X-150 to drive a pair of balanced Sennheiser HD-424, they've never sounded better.....
It has the same power amp as the Integrated Amp in the photo.

For those prices, one would really hope that they did something right...

Feb 1, 2015 at 7:26 PM Post #2,996 of 3,871
Feb 1, 2015 at 8:44 PM Post #2,998 of 3,871
Hey there are plenty of stupid good deals to be had on used slightly vintage gear. You should be able to find decent class A amps with 30 - 80watts very affordably. If you are ever likely to have a custom headphone cable made for a can you love, make sure that you consider having the extra work done to have the speaker tap section made as a separate section. That way if you ever want to have an integrated amp and speaker tap you're ready to go. Like others in this thread, I will likely never need to go back to a dedicated head amp again, just no need. I will invest in new DAC advances as they come out. I have owned plenty of Schiit gear (still do) and I love their stuff so no matter what you do it sounds like you're well on your way to a good rig.
This is a marketing and sales site. Common sense is not cliche like many brands here.

Feb 1, 2015 at 9:27 PM Post #2,999 of 3,871
Quote:
Yeah, when people calculate out how loud it gets, it's possible that the sound output FR could be uneven.  Although people say, that's enough wattage for this output level.  Perhaps at certain frequency(s), but do we know if the sound output is leveled to the headphones capabilites to push out the dynamics.  It appears that HE-6 is a culprit for this. 

Huh?

I'm referring to people's impressions of HE-6 with theoretically more than adequate wattage amps(do we know in practical terms, what is more than adequate?), but what is commonly said is that highs are noticibly forward with less dynamics and bass, lacking in imaging.  So I take this as the FR being uneven even with amps of sufficient power.  People are using high wattage amps with different outcomes.

Feb 2, 2015 at 12:06 PM Post #3,000 of 3,871
I'm referring to people's impressions of HE-6 with theoretically more than adequate wattage amps(do we know in practical terms, what is more than adequate?), but what is commonly said is that highs are noticibly forward with less dynamics and bass, lacking in imaging.  So I take this as the FR being uneven even with amps of sufficient power.  People are using high wattage amps with different outcomes.

Oh....

Assuming the output impedance is low enough, and you have enough power (i.e. you are not clipping) then it comes down to some amps sound slightly different than other amps.
If the output impedance is low enough, they should all have flat frequency response.

I once talked to the guy who designed a few amps for Sonic Frontiers.
He said as far as he is concerned, not all well designed amps sound the same.
Personally, I can't give you a good reason why that would be, but there it is! :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back