Speaker amps for headphones
Dec 28, 2014 at 12:44 PM Post #2,971 of 3,871

That is what I understand and why I went to all the trouble to have very nice speaker taps made. Frankly I don't care whether or not cables can make a difference, I'm not in any position to really test anyway, so even if there was a difference, I probably couldn't tell. For me, the quality of construction and good looks matter so now I will have a nice 12 foot length of speaker tap in two sections. I have a four foot section that stays hooked into the amp all the time so I can simply disconnect my 560 at the 4 pin XLR connector rather than fiddling with the somewhat delicate connectors on the 560 cups. For me, that was worth the expense, convenience and quality construction. If there is sonic characteristics imparted by the cable, great bonus score, if not, no biggie, I got what I wanted. And while I realize the NAD isn't the be all and end all of amps, not by any stretch, it is well designed and the power supplies are quite good so that should be an excellent base.

My thoughts as well.

Jan 3, 2015 at 10:06 AM Post #2,972 of 3,871
Hi, can anyone share a calculator of sorts to determine the resistor specifications to use for output transformer tube amps so i can drive my 300 Ohm HD600 off the 8 Ohm speaker taps? 

A mate used a 10Ohm resistor to match with his HE-5LE but i reckon that is a 50 Ohm impedance headphone so would this same resistor vbe suitable to impedance-match my HD600?

Appreciate all advice for an electronics noob here..

Jan 3, 2015 at 12:29 PM Post #2,973 of 3,871
  Hi, can anyone share a calculator of sorts to determine the resistor specifications to use for output transformer tube amps so i can drive my 300 Ohm HD600 off the 8 Ohm speaker taps? 

A mate used a 10Ohm resistor to match with his HE-5LE but i reckon that is a 50 Ohm impedance headphone so would this same resistor vbe suitable to impedance-match my HD600?

Appreciate all advice for an electronics noob here..

Post #2832

Jan 6, 2015 at 11:02 PM Post #2,976 of 3,871
So far I absolutely love what I am hearing from the NAD speaker tap with my 560s. Seemingly so much more weight and overall dynamics strike me as significantly improved. Not at all noisy during quiet passages even at loud playback level. 

Jan 7, 2015 at 7:30 PM Post #2,977 of 3,871
So far I absolutely love what I am hearing from the NAD speaker tap with my 560s. Seemingly so much more weight and overall dynamics strike me as significantly improved. Not at all noisy during quiet passages even at loud playback level. 
Yup. Now you know the definition of "dynamics".

Jan 7, 2015 at 9:33 PM Post #2,978 of 3,871

Absolutely improved dynamics and tonality. I have nice Neat speakers and two small REL subs that are voiced in the sensible British hifi tradition where typically dynamics are always important more than pounding bass and forward mids so I really do appreciate the increased dynamics from what were already very dynamic headphones with my departed Yulong A18. While I am totally on the fence with cables and sound improvement, my speaker tap is a very well made Norne cable using their best Solv cable so depending on one's views that may be a small part of the change?

I should be able to test as I sold my A18 to a local head-fi member so we will get together sometime and I can use the A18 with the stock cable and see (or more accurately not see as I will try to set up a proper blind test).

Jan 30, 2015 at 5:00 PM Post #2,979 of 3,871
Hi

I was thinking about buying a cheap integrated amp to use as a temporary headphone amp.

Can integrated amps be used  without speakers connected, just with headphones?

Is 250 mV into 32 ohms enough power to drive beyer dt 990 (250 ohms) ?

Jan 30, 2015 at 5:07 PM Post #2,980 of 3,871
  Hi

I was thinking about buying a cheap integrated amp to use as a temporary headphone amp.

Can integrated amps be used  without speakers connected, just with headphones?

Is 250 mV into 32 ohms enough power to drive beyer dt 990 (250 ohms) ?

Yes, it will work fine without speakers. Of course you may not like the quality of the sound depending how "cheap" it is.    

Jan 30, 2015 at 5:26 PM Post #2,981 of 3,871
  Yes, it will work fine without speakers. Of course you may not like the quality of the sound depending how "cheap" it is.    

Thanks for your reply :)

I've just realised this thread is in the high end audio forum. 
redface.gif
 The amp will be dirt cheap, as in below £200. It's just a stop gap so I can get away from my weak CDP headphone jack while I research dedicated headphone amps. It'll be a bedroom system, so I won't be breaking the bank on it.

Jan 30, 2015 at 5:35 PM Post #2,982 of 3,871
  Thanks for your reply :)

I've just realised this thread is in the high end audio forum. 
redface.gif
 The amp will be dirt cheap, as in below £200. It's just a stop gap so I can get away from my weak CDP headphone jack while I research dedicated headphone amps. It'll be a bedroom system, so I won't be breaking the bank on it.

You can get a very nice entry level Amp / DAC for less than 200 GBP. Check out the products from Schiit Audio. ( Do a search at the top of this page.)

Jan 30, 2015 at 7:52 PM Post #2,983 of 3,871

Yeah, when people calculate out how loud it gets, it's possible that the sound output FR could be uneven.  Although people say, that's enough wattage for this output level.  Perhaps at certain frequency(s), but do we know if the sound output is leveled to the headphones capabilites to push out the dynamics.  It appears that HE-6 is a culprit for this. 

Jan 30, 2015 at 10:26 PM Post #2,985 of 3,871

Users who are viewing this thread

Back