Sparkle & Atrio can now be used in the same sentence...
Mar 13, 2011 at 5:29 PM Post #91 of 133

Quote:

I like my M5's with classic rock.  They seem to really do wonders for poorly (or less than stellar) recordings from the 70's or early 80's.  I prefer the TF10's for more modern and recent recording as they more revealing of the poorer quality.  Maybe it's the smoothness of the M5's that makes them so good with older recordings?  The M5's make me think I'm in the recording studio with the band.  Decent depth but otherwise much smaller soundstage.

I'm interested to see what, if any, benefits each receive from the JDS Labs cmoy with bass boost I have coming this week.

Hmm, I'm finding my M5s to be less than forgiving with low quality tracks, but come to think of it, more forgiving than my Klipsch Custom 3s (which really only sound good with lossless.) 

But I agree 100% with the soundstage comment.   I feel like the band is sprawled five feet up, down, and to the side of me, like i'm in a small music bubble.  The effect is growing on me.  I don't listen to a lot of rock, mostly electronic music and hip hop, so a nice big dynamic driver seems more my thing than a triple-armature.   And I like FS's "crossover free and armature free technology"
rolleyes.gif

And, after changing from silicon to foam tips, the M5s sound much better out of the Fiio E7.  They are really able to take advantage of the Wolfson DAC.  I think the silicone tips place the drivers too deep in the ear.  These things need space.

Mar 13, 2011 at 5:57 PM Post #92 of 133

Quote:
But I agree 100% with the soundstage comment.   I feel like the band is sprawled five feet up, down, and to the side of me, like i'm in a small music bubble.  The effect is growing on me.  I don't listen to a lot of rock, mostly electronic music and hip hop, so a nice big dynamic driver seems more my thing than a triple-armature.   And I like FS's "crossover free and armature free technology"
rolleyes.gif

And, after changing from silicon to foam tips, the M5s sound much better out of the Fiio E7.  They are really able to take advantage of the Wolfson DAC.  I think the silicone tips place the drivers too deep in the ear.  These things need space.

I would think dynamic drivers would be best for hip hop too.  I've read some say they really like the TF10 with trance but I don't know beans about trance or electronic music to have an opinion.

That's why I don't like bi or triple flange tips.  They place the nozzle too deep in the ear and all of my IEM's sound better with shallower insertion. Shure foam black olives are the best!

Mar 13, 2011 at 7:52 PM Post #93 of 133

Quote:
I would think dynamic drivers would be best for hip hop too.  I've read some say they really like the TF10 with trance but I don't know beans about trance or electronic music to have an opinion.

My Custom 3 (dual BA) are great with trance.  Trance features a lot of complicated mids and treble synthesized waveforms.  Because the armatures can move so much faster, these notes sound more "effortless" in my opinion.  It's a nice effect.  I haven't heard the TF10s, so can't talk about them and trance.  But I can understand why my Custom 3s (closest thing I have to the TF10) work so well with trance.

Mar 20, 2011 at 2:12 AM Post #94 of 133
I used to think the Pana was the king in guitars. The Atrio beat their ass and then swept the floor with toilet paper. The speed is just crazy Future Sonic created a problem. Period.

Mar 20, 2011 at 6:05 AM Post #95 of 133
Can anyone describe the Atrio MG7's bass relative to other bassy IEMs in terms of impact and depth? There are conflicting opinions in this thread with some people saying they sound balanced, but then I've also read they beat the IE8 bass in quality and quantity.

Has anyone who owns these also had/heard the IE8s, Monster Turbine Pro range or Westone 3?

Mar 20, 2011 at 7:34 AM Post #96 of 133
I owned W3, but that was over a year ago. I'm not sure about the midbass (W3 has a hump there), but if I remember correctly, the MG7 doesn't have the hump - it's quite neutral. And the Atrios win in the subbass department - you can feel the subs, that's what I love about them.

Mar 20, 2011 at 8:27 AM Post #97 of 133
Agreed with above. W3 has midbass which gives it a lot of impact. The M5 has excellent sub bass; the best I've heard so far. The reason we are saying they are fairly balanced is because the new m5 has treble presence. This keeps it from sounding too dark and makes it better with more genres of music.

Mar 20, 2011 at 9:49 AM Post #100 of 133

aaQuote:
Can anyone describe the Atrio MG7's bass relative to other bassy IEMs in terms of impact and depth? There are conflicting opinions in this thread with some people saying they sound balanced, but then I've also read they beat the IE8 bass in quality and quantity.

Has anyone who owns these also had/heard the IE8s, Monster Turbine Pro range or Westone 3?

Based on memory, in terms of bass, the Atrios are better extended in the sub bass. I don't have either one with me at the moment, so I can't say much more, the quality was very good. I agree with Shotgunshane in terms of the definition of balanced we're using, these are still bassy earphones. You can read my review of the Atrios, hopefully shotgunshane will add one of his own. Here's my review 

Mar 20, 2011 at 5:21 PM Post #103 of 133
I'd say the bass on the M5 is slightly better in quality than the IE8 (I use lowest setting on IE8.) Quantity-wise, it just depends on ones preference. The Atrios have a higher quantity of bass than the IE8, but not by a huge margin. Sub bass is definitely much better on the M5s. They seem to dig the lowest notes effortlessly, whereas the IE8 actually rolls off a bit in sub-bass (from the famous "hump"). I'd put the M5s bass above the IE8, and the IE8s mids/treble slightly above the Atrios. Soundstage is significantly better on the IE8. I'd rate the overall SQ on the Atrios as VERY close to the IE8. IE8 wins by a small margin for me, but the price/performance ratio is much better on the Atrios.

Mar 20, 2011 at 5:24 PM Post #104 of 133

Quote:
I'd say the bass on the M5 is slightly better in quality than the IE8 (I use lowest setting on IE8.) Quantity-wise, it just depends on ones preference. The Atrios have a higher quantity of bass than the IE8, but not by a huge margin. Sub bass is definitely much better on the M5s. They seem to dig the lowest notes effortlessly, whereas the IE8 actually rolls off a bit in sub-bass (from the famous "hump"). I'd put the M5s bass above the IE8, and the IE8s mids/treble slightly above the Atrios. Soundstage is significantly better on the IE8. I'd rate the overall SQ on the Atrios as VERY close to the IE8. IE8 wins by a small margin for me, but the price/performance ratio is much better on the Atrios.

Thanks, this is enlightening information.  I have to think, other than soundstage, I'm not missing much.

Edit:  I don't understand why these don't get more love from the head-fi community...

Mar 20, 2011 at 5:36 PM Post #105 of 133
Quote:

Thanks for your concise comparison. It matches my impression of the v1 Atrios vs. the IE8, except that the difference in treble was more significant back then. However from an EU perspective the IE8 are €170, which is about the same as importing the Atrios (including customs duties), so the price/performance ratio isn't as good for the M5 here as in the US.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back