SoundMAGIC HP100/HP150 Review and Impressions Thread
Jul 12, 2015 at 5:41 PM Post #1,261 of 1,386
I'm torn between these and a couple other sub-$200 pair. I have been recommended the AKG 553's (never heard AKG phones before so I'm not really sure here), these HP150's (I've read most of this thread), JVC SZ1000 (maybe 2000 if I can find them for $200, like their ear bud CNT drivers and the idea of a bass driver and a mid/hi driver...at least to experience), M-Audio HPH50's (like the thought of clarity with bass potential).

I currently have a pair of D2000's I'm ordering hinge parts for and a pair of JVC HARX700's with HM5 pleather pads I'm using. I like the RX700's punch, and the D2000's sub bass, both have decent mids but the D2000 resolves more clearly, but is more susceptible to bass bleed, I like bass though so I'm torn.

I have an Aune T1 and FiiO E9 (pre-k). I use the T1 as a DAC and AMP, and also feed the T1's output to the E9 for when the old lady and I listen together. She keeps going for the D2000's...which I enjoy them and they have good/great sub bass, but I enjoy a little more punch. I do like the clarity and crispness of them especially with a little boost in mids. I also have some HE-400's I have ready for sale (need isolation, open-backs won't work in my living environment). I'm recovering from some unexpected bills...so hoping my current DAC/AMP choices will work fine. All my headphones have been great out of both amps and my Denon AVR.

I listen primarily to rock and metal, from old to new. Right now I'm on a huge Soil, FFDP, In This Moment, A7X, Sepultura, Shinedown, Volbeat, Metallica kick. I am going to miss my HE-400's for speed and accuracy for sure...and even for being open phones, I loved their bass. I just need a good set of closed cans that sound clear enough, make some good bass (with EQ) and are comfy/isolating. More-so than the D2000's. Asking a lot for a $200 budget I know...I am on the fence about these as well because I know my luck with Murphey's Law. 

Jul 12, 2015 at 7:31 PM Post #1,263 of 1,386
Thanks for the info, I really appreciate it!

I owned the PM-3 for a week and returned them. Sounded amazing overall, a little laid back for what I listened to and even at max settings the clamping pressure got to me after an hour. That and needing only desk/home cans, I didn't need something portable...they were really really nice tho.

I'll look more seriously at the HP150 then. Thank you!

I'm still looking at the M-Audio HDH50, but am reading conflicting reports where they can provide the bass I seek with the clarity I want and cannot. One place where it seems all agree is that their build quality is unquestionably solid. That is my biggest concern with the HP1xx series. Though even my Denons with failing hinges haven't broken, hopefully they'll stay strong while I order the necessary parts.

Jul 13, 2015 at 7:11 AM Post #1,264 of 1,386
I'm torn between these and a couple other sub-$200 pair. I have been recommended the AKG 553's (never heard AKG phones before so I'm not really sure here), these HP150's (I've read most of this thread), JVC SZ1000 (maybe 2000 if I can find them for $200, like their ear bud CNT drivers and the idea of a bass driver and a mid/hi driver...at least to experience), M-Audio HPH50's (like the thought of clarity with bass potential).

I currently have a pair of D2000's I'm ordering hinge parts for and a pair of JVC HARX700's with HM5 pleather pads I'm using. I like the RX700's punch, and the D2000's sub bass, both have decent mids but the D2000 resolves more clearly, but is more susceptible to bass bleed, I like bass though so I'm torn.

I have an Aune T1 and FiiO E9 (pre-k). I use the T1 as a DAC and AMP, and also feed the T1's output to the E9 for when the old lady and I listen together. She keeps going for the D2000's...which I enjoy them and they have good/great sub bass, but I enjoy a little more punch. I do like the clarity and crispness of them especially with a little boost in mids. I also have some HE-400's I have ready for sale (need isolation, open-backs won't work in my living environment). I'm recovering from some unexpected bills...so hoping my current DAC/AMP choices will work fine. All my headphones have been great out of both amps and my Denon AVR.

I listen primarily to rock and metal, from old to new. Right now I'm on a huge Soil, FFDP, In This Moment, A7X, Sepultura, Shinedown, Volbeat, Metallica kick. I am going to miss my HE-400's for speed and accuracy for sure...and even for being open phones, I loved their bass. I just need a good set of closed cans that sound clear enough, make some good bass (with EQ) and are comfy/isolating. More-so than the D2000's. Asking a lot for a $200 budget I know...I am on the fence about these as well because I know my luck with Murphey's Law. 

I also listen mainly to rock and metal, and I'm enjoying my HP100 (hell, i bought a pair of Grado sr60i out of curiosity since everybody seem to recommend Grado for rock and metal, but it didn't get more than few hours of use - thanks to the HP100) . Out of the bands you mentioned, i listen to Metallica.
I don't know how the tubes would affect the sound, but out of schiit stack (modi 1 + magni 2u), to my ears, the drums sounds clear but a little distant, the bass guitar sounds like it's behind the drums. Guitars and vocals sound amazing though.
I ordered a (cheap) tube preamp that many people recommended (on other forums), that I'll be using (or at least auditioning) with my reg. I'll share my impression next week, in case you want to hear it before buying.

Jul 13, 2015 at 2:54 PM Post #1,265 of 1,386

These are the headphones I have been searching for without a doubt. However, all the breakages that have been reported in the yoke and joint area has really sketched me out. I plan on ordering these on Amazon because they are always good about refunds on defective products, but it still really sketches me out. Do you guys have any ideas on how to reinforce the area that keeps cracking on people? I was thinking about adding a layer of epoxy but that would definitely void the one year warranty. 
frown.gif
 Has anyone reached out to Soundmagic telling them about all the reported instances of cracking?

Jul 13, 2015 at 3:17 PM Post #1,266 of 1,386
Sorry if this ? has been answered 1000 times already but is this issue with the 150 as well as the 100???

Jul 13, 2015 at 4:21 PM Post #1,267 of 1,386
The HP150s have a problem with the plastic breaking also. See my post here about mine breaking:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/616201/soundmagic-hp100-hp150-review-and-impressions-thread/1215#post_11604771

Brian.

Jul 13, 2015 at 7:51 PM Post #1,269 of 1,386
^ At the time my HP150s broke, I was pretty bummed. I really liked them while I had them. But I also realized that their sound signature isn't for me. They have too much high end (treble) for me and make a lot of recordings hard to listen to. They are fatiguing on *some* of the music I like. It's a double edged sword because they have tons of details and "air", but are also fatiguing.

So I decided on a different pair of headphones, shopped around, and bought the NAD HP50s. They are much closer to my ideal sound and are generally very pleasing. Not fatiguing in the least and sound good on all of my music. They don't have quite the "wow factor" of the HP150s, but they are a much better headphone, day to day, for ME.

Brian.

Jul 15, 2015 at 4:57 PM Post #1,270 of 1,386
Has anyone else noticed that these seem to clamp more on the top half of the pad due to how the cups can't swivel up and down through the yokes unlike something such as a dt880? p.s. I use mine at the 3rd notch on both sides.

Jul 15, 2015 at 9:52 PM Post #1,271 of 1,386
^ At the time my HP150s broke, I was pretty bummed. I really liked them while I had them. But I also realized that their sound signature isn't for me. They have too much high end (treble) for me and make a lot of recordings hard to listen to. They are fatiguing on *some* of the music I like. It's a double edged sword because they have tons of details and "air", but are also fatiguing.

So I decided on a different pair of headphones, shopped around, and bought the NAD HP50s. They are much closer to my ideal sound and are generally very pleasing. Not fatiguing in the least and sound good on all of my music. They don't have quite the "wow factor" of the HP150s, but they are a much better headphone, day to day, for ME.

Brian.

I like the HP50 but I can't get over how wonky they look on head.

Jul 15, 2015 at 10:00 PM Post #1,272 of 1,386
I like the HP50 but I can't get over how wonky they look on head.

Huh? You actually care about what the headphones look like while you wear them? Do you buy headphones for people to look at, or for you to listen to? Apparently I don't get the side of headphones where they are considered a fashion accessory or some kind of statement about the person wearing them. I don't mean to sound like I'm being mean or judgmental. I just don't get why anyone would care. Headphones are for listening.

Brian.

Jul 16, 2015 at 12:59 AM Post #1,273 of 1,386
Huh? You actually care about what the headphones look like while you wear them? Do you buy headphones for people to look at, or for you to listen to? Apparently I don't get the side of headphones where they are considered a fashion accessory or some kind of statement about the person wearing them. I don't mean to sound like I'm being mean or judgmental. I just don't get why anyone would care. Headphones are for listening.

Brian.

No offense taken, I actually haven't tried them so they may change my mind when I get a listen. They are almost double the price of the HP150 so I would expect a more premium appearance with better fit and finish. When I spend $300 on a headphone I expect it to feel like $300 and I don't get that feeling from glossy plastic. The Fidelio series for example always feels like a premium product.

Jul 24, 2015 at 6:00 AM Post #1,274 of 1,386
Hello all, so after taking my HP 100 'cans with me to a HeadFi meet in SF and trying it with at least 5-7 of the best SE amps I found, there was one notable combination that I believe has phenomenal synergy with the HP 100 (take this as the HP 150's should yield the same results too).

It was all about the Questyle Q192. The sound performance out of this thing with the SoundMagics left an impression I won't soon forget: Totally 3D soundstage with amazing spacial positioning, very impactful, and organic sounding bass. This is a DAC/amp unit for about $799, and I think it's worth every penny. It sounds very comparable to the Cavalli Liquid Carbon which I also tried, but from my testing it seemed the Q192 had better synergy with the SoundMagics. It's chalked full of amazing features, like an exceptionally well implemented Wolfsof 8740 DAC chip (of which I've noticed another DAC with that chip pairs wonderfully with the HP 100's). Another feature is auto-load detection - that's right, this amp automatically detects the impedence of your headphones after you plug it in, ensuring that your 'cans are getting the absolute optimal load to drive them, and can drive a very wide range of headphones beautifully. I also loved the way these drove the Senn. HD 580 & 650's. But I'll tell you with the HP 100's, it gave me such a surreal experience of 'being there' that I can't forget it, like I was actually transported to a live street band (which was the theme of one of the test songs); great impact, 3D soundstage with instruments laid out very lifelike spatially, and IIRC, the speed of the bass was tightened up just right with a more or less spot on treble presentation (which is something this 'can usually gets wrong). Unfortunately I just shelled out cash for the Liquid Carbon amp, but for anybody who wants to splurge on the Questyle Q192 amp, I can guarantee you won't call my bluff on this pairing!! (and I hope you post your impressions of it too)

Jul 24, 2015 at 9:46 AM Post #1,275 of 1,386
No offense taken, I actually haven't tried them so they may change my mind when I get a listen. They are almost double the price of the HP150 so I would expect a more premium appearance with better fit and finish. When I spend $300 on a headphone I expect it to feel like $300 and I don't get that feeling from glossy plastic. The Fidelio series for example always feels like a premium product.

The glossy black look on the NADs is the commonly used piano black finish that you can often find on some home audio speakers and is popular among some speakerphiles. For example, I have the Mirage branded version of this Energy subwoofer with the same finish: http://www.energy-speakers.com/subwoofers/?sku=V-SW10. So while you may not like it aesthetically, it is a "premium appearance" style. I don't personally like that finish myself on headphones or speakers, either. Not because I don't think it looks good, but it is impractical, IMO. Shows fingerprints and dust (hard to keep clean), and is prone to scratching somewhat easily.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back