SoundMAGIC HP100/HP150 Review and Impressions Thread
Jun 15, 2015 at 2:37 PM Post #1,231 of 1,386
I was thinking of getting these but after reading a bit here...no way! I have a big ass head and the last thing I need is a broken pair of headphones...

Jun 16, 2015 at 10:52 AM Post #1,232 of 1,386
It's too bad a few people are scaring everyone away from these.  You're missing out on great sound at a low price.

Jun 16, 2015 at 11:15 AM Post #1,233 of 1,386
  It's too bad a few people are scaring everyone away from these.  You're missing out on great sound at a low price.

I'm looking for my first closed headphone but don't want any troubles (if possible). Take a look at my profile if you have moment and let me know if you think this would be a good choice for me. Also are you saying the broken headband issue has been overblown? I do have a large cranium but am super anal\picky with all my equipment.

Jun 16, 2015 at 11:17 AM Post #1,234 of 1,386
I'm looking for my first closed headphone but don't want any troubles (if possible). Take a look at my profile if you have moment and let me know if you think this would be a good choice for me. Also are you saying the broken headband issue has been overblown? I do have a large cranium but am super anal\picky with all my equipment.

I have an XXL hat size. Mine haven't broken.

Jun 16, 2015 at 12:14 PM Post #1,235 of 1,386

Well my sample size is pretty small, so I can't say if it's really a problem or not.  I just know that a lot of people have no issues with the HP100/150 and really enjoy the sound.

If you're willing to pay 2x as much as the HP100/150, I'd recommend the Oppo PM-3.  This will guarantee you no build issues and great SQ.  But it's 2x the price.  If you aren't looking to spend that much, the HP100 is the best closed headphone I've heard in the price range.

Jun 16, 2015 at 1:18 PM Post #1,236 of 1,386
Are the 100 & 150 identical except for the cosmetics? 

Jun 16, 2015 at 1:35 PM Post #1,237 of 1,386

That is a subject of minor debate.  I think the most practical answer is:  effectively, yes.  If there is a difference it's subtle enough that most folks don't hear it.

Jun 16, 2015 at 7:30 PM Post #1,238 of 1,386
Here was a recent comparison I made on the HP 100 & 150's. The only cosmetic differences are the exterior cup color & shape (yet same size and mostly the same internal shape) and the 150 uses a straight cable, although if you manage to get a straight cable for the HP 100 (my favorite of these 2 cans) these should be interchangeable.

Jun 16, 2015 at 9:04 PM Post #1,239 of 1,386
That is a subject of minor debate.  I think the most practical answer is:  effectively, yes.  If there is a difference it's subtle enough that most folks don't hear it.

+1

I'd like to see a DBT of a new one of each. Difference in pad break-in could account for differences people here.

Jun 16, 2015 at 10:50 PM Post #1,240 of 1,386

The HP100 is known to have drivers fail (my first one had one start to go out within a few days, I posted it earlier in the thread) and the HP150 is supposedly a better built version to fix the issue. They use the exact same drivers, so any sonic differences would be due to the enclosures being different

Jul 8, 2015 at 8:29 AM Post #1,241 of 1,386
After much thought I've decided to go with an IEM. My first closed can will have to wait...

Jul 11, 2015 at 12:07 AM Post #1,242 of 1,386
I truely love my HP150. Love the bass on them. I'm now looking for a portable headphone that come at least close to the low end impact of the HP150. Is there such a thing?

Auditioning a pair of Sony MDR-XB90EX, and the bass on them come close (with comply tips), but in-ears always bother me, though these tips help a lot.

Would like something that does not require amping to sound good. Not ready to spend $on custom iem.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Jul 11, 2015 at 12:18 AM Post #1,243 of 1,386
I truely love my HP150. Love the bass on them. I'm now looking for a portable headphone that come at least close to the low end impact of the HP150. Is there such a thing?

Auditioning a pair of Sony MDR-XB90EX, and the bass on them come close (with comply tips), but in-ears always bother me, though these tips help a lot.

Would like something that does not require amping to sound good. Not ready to spend $on custom iem.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Try the Oppo PM-3.

Jul 11, 2015 at 1:27 AM Post #1,244 of 1,386

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Try the Oppo PM-3.

If you do try @mgh24, report back.  I'd be curious what you think.  I own HP150 and demoed the PM-3.  I preferred the HP150, but there are plenty of satisfied PM-3 owners so YMMV 
beerchug.gif

Jul 11, 2015 at 2:17 AM Post #1,245 of 1,386

If you do try @mgh24, report back.  I'd be curious what you think.  I own HP150 and demoed the PM-3.  I preferred the HP150, but there are plenty of satisfied PM-3 owners so YMMV 
beerchug.gif

I upgraded to the PM-3 from the HP100.  It's not quite the same sound but it's got that planar speed that's so addictive for me.  A lot of people in the PM-3 loaner program took a few days to really get the brain burn-in and realize its potential.  It's a great can and I don't regret moving to it at all.

(You can find my review of it in my signature if you're curious also.)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back