SoundMAGIC HP100/HP150 Review and Impressions Thread
Apr 24, 2015 at 2:59 PM Post #1,201 of 1,386
If you are thinking about buying the HP100/150 but haven't yet, I recommend that you don't.  The sound quality is great, but I have owned the headphone twice and both times it has snapped at the top of the half-circle that connects the cup to the headband.

Both pairs were owned for under a year, both were babied and not dropped/sat on/etc. once.  I don't have an exceptionally large head or anything.

If you plan to use your headphones for more than an hour or two per day, I don't recommend buying these as they are extremely fragile.

This is the area that consistently breaks:

For you. Others aren't having this problem. So what is the common denominator in addition to the headphones :wink:

Apr 24, 2015 at 3:07 PM Post #1,202 of 1,386
For you. Others aren't having this problem. So what is the common denominator in addition to the headphones
wink.gif

I've had mine for about a year, use them some 4-8 hours per day on the weekdays and they're still running strong.  

YMMV

Apr 24, 2015 at 3:11 PM Post #1,203 of 1,386
For you. Others aren't having this problem. So what is the common denominator in addition to the headphones
wink.gif

The headphone breaks consistently in the same place with careful usage in less than a year.  Do you imagine me slamming the headphones into my desk, tossing them into bags unprotected, stretching the headband about a foot just to fit them on my head?  This doesn't happen.

These headphones are not made for heavy usage.  Like I said in my original post, if you consistently use them for under 2 hours a day you should be fine.  Anyone who goes over that should be, to some extent, worried about the area in question.  I was worried enough about breaking them a second time that they have not moved from my desk at all, I have not stretched them more than absolutely necessary to put them on/take them off, and I have not let anyone else use them.  Yet they still break.  It's a design flaw, and it has happened to 2-3 people (not sure of the number, but I know for a fact it has happened to at least 1 other person) before me closer to the middle of the thread.  The joint is made out of cheap plastic and is hollow in the middle, it is not designed for long usage every day.

Apr 25, 2015 at 11:51 PM Post #1,205 of 1,386
It really makes me sad to see so many have ended up with their set breaking on them. My first set of the HP100 ended up having a driver start failing on me within the first three days of use. I'm currently going strong on the second pair that I've had for over a month now. I really love the way these sound, and hope they last me a long time.

Apr 26, 2015 at 12:08 AM Post #1,206 of 1,386

So they have likely sold thousands of these headphones, and you feel because you find 10 or 12 cases that there's a major problem? There's tons more people here for whom the headphones have not broken. How is it that their headphones didn't break in that spot?

Apr 26, 2015 at 6:33 AM Post #1,207 of 1,386
Wow guys, the solution is one word: SUPERGLUE. This sort of application is precisely perfect for superglue to handle. It's available at most dollar or hardware stores, Walmart, etc. Just apply several drops, hold for about 45 seconds and let dry for a few hours.

I agree it does seem an infrequent build quality issue rather than owner neglence, but the solution is simple and this is only a case of "the few dissatisfied customers make their voices heard", while the vast majority are happy.

Apr 26, 2015 at 6:52 AM Post #1,208 of 1,386
On second thought, I personally would go with black electrical tape (spun around the infected area both vertically and horizantally) over super glue for a longer lasting fix. 

At $190-ish, these are almost a steal-deal for the sound quality you can get, especially with how well they scale with TOTL (top of the line) DACs and Amps.

Apr 26, 2015 at 1:05 PM Post #1,209 of 1,386
On second thought, I personally would go with black electrical tape (spun around the infected area both vertically and horizantally) over super glue for a longer lasting fix. 

At $190-ish, these are almost a steal-deal for the sound quality you can get, especially with how well they scale with TOTL (top of the line) DACs and Amps.

Couldnt agree more. Though i havent gotten the chance to try them with high end dacs and amps yet.

Apr 27, 2015 at 10:58 PM Post #1,210 of 1,386
I've had the HP150s for a couple of months now.  I like them overall.  They are a little spikey in the uppers for me, but some EQ has tamed that behavior a LOT.  Plus you wouldn't believe the difference about 6dB of boost at 200Hz makes.  Seriously changes the whole character of voices.

Anyway, I'm looking for some improvements and am considering a DAC and/or Amp.  I've asked in several places and was advised to ask in this thread, so....

My setup is a Macbook pro using the built-in sound card, feeding an inexpensive Yamaha mixer.  I'm mainly using the mixer as a headphone amplifier, but also for more "sound control".  Since the mixer isn't very expensive, the headphone amp can't be very sophisticated or anything, but it does drive the HP150s very loud if I want.

I'm considering the Schiit Modi and Magni (version 2 of both) as an upgrade, but I'm not sure if I'll notice a difference or not.  I've tried to compared the MBP's direct output to the mixer and I can't really tell much of a difference.

I've also connected an older SoundBlaster 24 Live USB to the Mac and used it as a DAC feeding the Yamaha mixer.  I can't really hear any difference between the MBP's built-in output and the output of the SoundBlaster either.

I realize both the SoundBlaster and the mixer are pretty cheap devices, so maybe that's part of the reason.

I'm just looking for opinions on whether or not I'll hear any difference from the $200 combo of the Modi/Magni compared to my current setup.

Thanks guys.

Brian.

Apr 27, 2015 at 11:10 PM Post #1,211 of 1,386
I've had the HP150s for a couple of months now.  I like them overall.  They are a little spikey in the uppers for me, but some EQ has tamed that behavior a LOT.  Plus you wouldn't believe the difference about 6dB of boost at 200Hz makes.  Seriously changes the whole character of voices.

Anyway, I'm looking for some improvements and am considering a DAC and/or Amp.  I've asked in several places and was advised to ask in this thread, so....

My setup is a Macbook pro using the built-in sound card, feeding an inexpensive Yamaha mixer.  I'm mainly using the mixer as a headphone amplifier, but also for more "sound control".  Since the mixer isn't very expensive, the headphone amp can't be very sophisticated or anything, but it does drive the HP150s very loud if I want.

I'm considering the Schiit Modi and Magni (version 2 of both) as an upgrade, but I'm not sure if I'll notice a difference or not.  I've tried to compared the MBP's direct output to the mixer and I can't really tell much of a difference.

I've also connected an older SoundBlaster 24 Live USB to the Mac and used it as a DAC feeding the Yamaha mixer.  I can't really hear any difference between the MBP's built-in output and the output of the SoundBlaster either.

I realize both the SoundBlaster and the mixer are pretty cheap devices, so maybe that's part of the reason.

I'm just looking for opinions on whether or not I'll hear any difference from the $200 combo of the Modi/Magni compared to my current setup.

Thanks guys.

Brian.
From what I've read the Magni is a bit bright, Vali would probably be a better choice!

Apr 30, 2015 at 3:06 PM Post #1,212 of 1,386
Hello @bgentry , please click here and here for some phenomenal advice from other pages of this thread on the best amps I've found for the HP 150.

I also agree with the Vali being a good pair with the Modi 2.

Also with all the reading I've done lately about a specific amp, I feel I would be doing a mis-service by not also recommending this one: called the Gustard H10. It's said to be "a $1,000 amp for only $300". I haven't tried the SoundMagics on it though but it's said to do wonderfully on any headphone.

Apr 30, 2015 at 5:12 PM Post #1,213 of 1,386
Thanks for the reply Levi.  I had read your recommendations earlier, but it's nice to see them again.

I'm still left with my original question:  Amp and DAC:  Will I be able to hear a difference between (for example) the Schiit Modi2/Vali and my Macbook Pro's built in headphone output?

Thanks again.

Brian.

Apr 30, 2015 at 5:54 PM Post #1,215 of 1,386
  Thanks for the reply Levi.  I had read your recommendations earlier, but it's nice to see them again.

I'm still left with my original question:  Amp and DAC:  Will I be able to hear a difference between (for example) the Schiit Modi2/Vali and my Macbook Pro's built in headphone output?

Thanks again.

Brian.

Yes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back