Sound Science Music Thread: Pass it on!
Aug 21, 2019 at 1:29 PM Post #556 of 609
Fast forward to 2019.

ah yes, the real main controversy of the 21th century. is it country music or not? forget vaccines causing climate change and Pluto being fake flat news, those stuff just pale in comparison.

Aug 27, 2019 at 1:04 AM Post #558 of 609
Sep 26, 2019 at 4:16 PM Post #560 of 609
:flag_au: The Lachy Doley Group. I discovered this group on Bandcamp a few months ago. I love the way Lachy Doley uses the Hammond Organ as a centrepiece to their Blues sound. Having grown up listening to Deep Purple and Uriah Heep, I'm a bit partial to the sound of a whirly Hammond :-

Last edited:
Oct 2, 2019 at 11:06 AM Post #562 of 609
Everything was not belongs to the Loudness War should be welcome here. And maybe with a tag of ITU-R-REC-BS.1770 loudness value.

Last edited:
Oct 2, 2019 at 12:53 PM Post #563 of 609
This is about music, not specs. That is the whole point of this thread.

And in that spirit, I'm sharing my favorite Caruso record... Two different versions in fact! When I play this on my Victrola, the sound of the voice makes the hair on the back of your neck stand up.

Last edited:
Oct 3, 2019 at 7:43 AM Post #564 of 609
And in that spirit, I'm sharing my favorite Caruso record...

Caruso was a freak of nature, a natural baritone who could carry the richness and power of the baritone voice all the way through to the top of the tenor range, there's never been another tenor to compare IMHO. Given the option of time travel, he's the artist I would most like to hear live. If you haven't fully explored them, his recordings of Neapolitan songs are unmatched and some of them show-off his voice even better than operatic arias. Here's one of many examples:

Incidentally: Maybe due to the fact that they're acoustic (not electronic microphone) recordings, Caruso's recordings are a very good demonstration of the principles of compression and perceived dynamic range. Operatic singers have to perform live without any sound reinforcement/amplification in opera houses, which have large (voluminous) auditoriums with typically 2,000 - 4,000 seats and therefore they cannot employ a large dynamic range. Even mezzo-piano would be inaudible for the vast majority of the audience, let alone piano or pianissimo, so they have to use a highly restricted dynamic range (the quietest level in practice being somewhere around mezzo-forte) and effectively "fake" a larger dynamic range. They achieve this "faking" by controlling the overtones they produce (which requires very considerable training). In other words, an expert operatic singer could sing two notes of roughly the same sound pressure level but make one of them sound louder than the other (by producing more overtones).

G

Oct 3, 2019 at 12:25 PM Post #565 of 609
Surprisingly, when played back on an acoustic phonograph, the dynamic range in Caruso records is amazingly broad- from a natural whisper to ear blasting loud. I think it has something to do with the way the mica diaphragm reacts to the vibrations, creating "wolf tones" in certain frequencies. I'm not sure why, actually. The compliance on a steel needle and soundbox is very rigid and the tracking weight is very heavy. That might have something to do with it too. But I've compared electrical transcriptions side by side with acoustic playback and the dynamics are quite different. Electrical playback is flatter.

Nov 2, 2019 at 1:46 PM Post #566 of 609
I actually have Stratosfear in hi-res ripped from an SCAD in FLAC.

I vaguely remember it from the early 70s when it was popular?

I think only Rubycon has been released on SACD? Stratosfear was released in 1976 so it was hardly "popular" in early 70's.

I knew about the existence of Tangerine Dream since 1991 when I bought LFO's album "Frequencies" where they mention Tangerine Dream as one of their sources of influence as electronic music pioneers. In the early 90's I did listen to some Tangerine Dream but I didn't get their importance or status at the time. In Finland Tangerine Dream has always been VERY unknown and Finland has always been more rock-oriented (most metal bands per capita in the World) than electronic music oriented. It wasn't until 2008 when I got interested of Tangerine Dream again and I started buying their albums on CD cheap starting from Force Majeure which blew me away and I got into their music. During 2008, 2009 and 2010 I bought about 100 CDs worth of their music and the band became one of my most favorite. When Edgar Froese died in 2015 I wasn't able to listen to their music for a year, because it was so sad. I participated to the Kickstarter of the document film "Revolution of Sound" in 2016. Tangerine Dreams music has a very important place in my life. 2008 was crucial for me as I also discovered King Crimson, one of the few "rock" bands I actually like.

Nov 2, 2019 at 10:02 PM Post #567 of 609
I loved Aqua but don’t have it on vinyl anymore. There was a time in Southern California where these style of vinyl records were close to worthless. It was this exact crowd of listers that fully embraced the CD, due to the long play and reduction of pops that seemed to disturb the experience.

9F63252C-D488-465A-9266-2192777A426D.jpeg
B028EC08-0C50-4733-8EDF-9536BCFEDE18.jpeg

Last edited:
Nov 2, 2019 at 10:08 PM Post #568 of 609
Last edited:
Nov 2, 2019 at 11:53 PM Post #569 of 609
There were bunch of German bands back then. I remember Lucifer's Friend (the closest thing in real life to Spinal Tap), Hawkwind and Kraftwerk. Tangerine Dream was an also ran until they started getting jobs doing scores for movies. That's what made them famous. There were a bunch of Italian bands at the time that were very similar, but they never seemed to go anywhere. I think Magma was Italian. Now I find Tangerine Dream good for ambient background music. I really like Kraftwerk's Catalogue reworks of their stuff. Jean Michel Jarre's and Tomita's multichannel reworks of their old albums are a lot of fun in a circus calliope way.

Last edited:
Nov 3, 2019 at 4:24 AM Post #570 of 609
Magma is actually French, but one of my favorite Progressive Rock bands. Tangerine Dream was somewhat famous before their soundstracks, but your right, they then became mainstream then about 1981.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thief_(soundtrack)

Julian Copes book, The Krautrock Sampler, which may have been talked about before in this thread, is a great read. It explained how Timothy Leary visited Germany before the FBI found him and started a band and influenced Ash Ra Temple, who made the album “7-Up” later the “Cosmic Couriers” would go on to be big in Germany as well as a trend in the underground psychedelic rock movement.

Germany had a very small and low confidence youth which were basicly stripped of “pop-culture” due to the culture affect of WW2......making them both open and pure to absorbing what was trendy like Pink Floyd.

The other book is “A Crack In The Cosmic Egg” which gives a great account of the musical phenomena. Neu as a band was totally influential to the creation of Punk-Rock. And while Hawkwind is considered a “Space-Rock” band, just like “Gong” they are actually from England. But it’s a great example of many parts of Europe cross pollinating each with musical ideas.

Much of the music inspired from those times still ends up very fresh sounding today.

As 1971 “Faust-Faust” this music is timeless, while at the same time experimental and just darn weird!

https://rateyourmusic.com/list/groo...top-50-albums-compiled-by-writer-julian-cope/

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back