Sound Science Music Thread: Pass it on!
post-15071858
Post #526 of 586

bigshot

Headphoneus Supremus
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
By the way, I'm referring to American popular music there, not music in general. Interesting fact: The first performer to become a star solely on the basis of media was Billy Murray, a singer in the early days of recording. He didn't perform much in concert, but he made hundreds of records and later performed on the radio. The reason jazz spread so far so fast was the introduction of mass media. It started with sheet music for people to play in their homes and exploded with records and then radio during the depression.

post-15073048
Post #527 of 586

Steve999

smooth, DARK
Reaction score
I was sitting around this evening trying to have serious thoughts, which does not come easily. I thought about what direction music is headed in, and I kind of get the impression it is splintering off into a thousand directions.

Apple Music generates a new music mix playlist in the For You tab for me that might as well be called Weird Music Steve Might Like. So it had some saxophonist named Christina Dahl and her group. There is another Christina Dahl who plays classical piano. This is not that Christina Dahl. This is the Christina Dahl from Denmark who plays saxophone.

Anyway the Christina Dahl from Denmark has a brand new album out but it is pretty out there. I liked it but was not sure a normal person would. So I tried to find something in her catalog in a middle ground that might be more accessible but still an unusual listening experience.

She gets very few listens at least in English speaking countries from what I can tell but I thought what I was hearing was unique and pretty special, having in mind that this is one of her more accessible pieces.

Last edited:
Reactions: GearMe
post-15073305
Post #528 of 586

castleofargh

Sound Science Forum Moderator
Reaction score
I was sitting around this evening trying to have serious thoughts, which does not come easily. I thought about what direction music is headed in, and I kind of get the impression it is splintering off into a thousand directions.

Apple Music generates a new music mix playlist in the For You tab for me that might as well be called Weird Music Steve Might Like. So it had some saxophonist named Christina Dahl and her group. There is another Christina Dahl who plays classical piano. This is not that Christina Dahl. This is the Christina Dahl from Denmark who plays saxophone.

Anyway the Christina Dahl from Denmark has a brand new album out but it is pretty out there. I liked it but was not sure a normal person would. So I tried to find something in her catalog in a middle ground that might be more accessible but still an unusual listening experience.

She gets very few listens at least in English speaking countries from what I can tell but I thought what I was hearing was unique and pretty special, having in mind that this is one of her more accessible pieces.

literally anybody involve in art forms will at some point try to differentiate himself from norms and standards. someone who dreams to follow the line on the ground doesn't typically decides to become an artist. I've always been an unskilled amateur in anything I've touched but even then I was looking to do something "new", to create! this has always and will always be the situation for artists. what has changed is the accessibility for the average consumer. in just 3 generations, everything changed, from having music at home being only a thing for rich people and/or families playing themselves, to freaking internet on our cellphones and every audio apps and websites spying helping us discover new stuff we might enjoy. that also affects the artists around the world who get to widen their horizon, but they were going to do different anyway.

ultimately every band will be part of the Blue Man Group and hit on PVC pipes, as that's obviously the endgame in term music and art form. but in the meantime, we mostly just get to see more of the world's real diversity. my point being that IMO it's always been there. including all the stuff we pray will remain underground forever. ^_^

shouldn't this topic be renamed as "intellectualized jazz conversations"? I remember a few timid attempts for something else(including from you who started with a pretty wide range of genres), but it didn't last long.

Last edited:
Reactions: Steve999
post-15073365
Post #529 of 586

Steve999

smooth, DARK
Reaction score
literally anybody involve in art forms will at some point try to differentiate himself from norms and standards. someone who dreams to follow the line on the ground doesn't typically decides to become an artist. I've always been an unskilled amateur in anything I've touched but even then I was looking to do something "new", to create! this has always and will always be the situation for artists. what has changed is the accessibility for the average consumer. in just 3 generations, everything changed, from having music at home being only a thing for rich people and/or families playing themselves, to freaking internet on our cellphones and every audio apps and websites spying helping us discover new stuff we might enjoy. that also affects the artists around the world who get to widen their horizon, but they were going to do different anyway.

ultimately every band will be part of the Blue Man Group and hit on PVC pipes, as that's obviously the endgame in term music and art form. but in the mean time, we mostly just get to see more of the world's real diversity. my point being that IMO it's always been there. including all the stuff we pray will remain underground forever. ^_^

shouldn't this topic be renamed as "intellectualized jazz conversations"? I remember a few timid attempts for something else(including from you who started with a pretty wide range of genres), but it didn't last long.
Interesting observations and good point.

Better? :wink: And yeah, I like it.

Hear her spreading those quasi-triplets out in the chorus part of the melody, and the rhythm? The horns? The um, bass? The three or four distinct alternating sections?

Last edited:
post-15073701
Post #531 of 586

SilverEars

Headphoneus Supremus
Reaction score
Since I've not been running into interesting rock these days, I've been looking at Japanese rock. Some interesting stuff there.

Last edited:
post-15073795
Post #532 of 586

bigshot

Headphoneus Supremus
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Jazz is the greatest form of art America ever created. It isn't surprising if Americans tend to discuss it.

Reactions: GearMe
post-15073943
Post #533 of 586

GearMe

Headphoneus Supremus
Reaction score
Enjoy Santana as well...including the way he influences rock/blues/pop

post-15074156
Post #535 of 586

bigshot

Headphoneus Supremus
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
All it needs is Linda Ronstadt and Rod Stewart. Maybe Barry Manilow too.

post-15074189
Post #537 of 586

GearMe

Headphoneus Supremus
Reaction score
Oh! Are we genre bending now? Is that the deal?

Hey man...you can 'genre bend' any time you want with Wynton's collaborations... :thumbsup:

(a few more below)

Last edited:
post-15074274
Post #539 of 586

GearMe

Headphoneus Supremus
Reaction score
That's SIR Rod Stewart to you!

I tried really hard to find another song from him that I felt ok posting...I really did; moving on to Barry! :wink:

(and then to ABBA!) :astonished:

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)