Sound Science Music Thread: Pass it on!
Nov 3, 2019 at 4:34 AM Post #571 of 609
Nov 3, 2019 at 4:42 AM Post #572 of 609
Last edited:
Nov 3, 2019 at 5:04 AM Post #573 of 609

There are also a surprising large amount of live Magma recordings.

Nov 3, 2019 at 10:24 AM Post #574 of 609
https://www.google.co.id/amp/s/parttimeaudiophile.com/2015/03/29/tangerine-dream/amp/?client=safari

There are four released. Stratosphere was introduced to me at 13 when I was given L for the first time. So you could say in 1976 it was the classic Krautrock experience where the music was the guide. Though I’m happy to say I have followed the rules and only experienced that a handful of times.

I wasn't aware of these releases. They are released in Japan which explains it. I suppose these are insanely expensive discs. I'm missing a lot of Tangerine Dream music because I'm not going to pay $30 for a soundtracks like Legend! My purchasing power has it's limits. Anyway, does it even matter when I have so much Tangerine Dream?

Sorry, I don't know what "given L for the first time" means. Hopefully not LSD…

Nov 3, 2019 at 11:03 AM Post #575 of 609
There were bunch of German bands back then. I remember Lucifer's Friend (the closest thing in real life to Spinal Tap), Hawkwind and Kraftwerk. Tangerine Dream was an also ran until they started getting jobs doing scores for movies. That's what made them famous. There were a bunch of Italian bands at the time that were very similar, but they never seemed to go anywhere. I think Magma was Italian. Now I find Tangerine Dream good for ambient background music. I really like Kraftwerk's Catalogue reworks of their stuff. Jean Michel Jarre's and Tomita's multichannel reworks of their old albums are a lot of fun in a circus calliope way.

I was into Jean Michel Jarre in the late 80's when I saw a concert by him on TV. However, I got Jarre's "Images" compilation CD as a Christmas present in 1991 and it kind of killed my interest to the artist. Three years ago I started suspecting the compilation CD is actually very bad and doesn't give a good picture of the artist. I started to explore his albums and found out this is the case. Especially the early stuff by Jarre are great. Equinoxe particularly is a masterpiece of electronic music. The compilation CD is an incoherent mess of this and that doing a disservice to the artist. The individual albums are so much better, coherent art.

I have tried to like Kraftwerk, but somehow I don't get much out of it. In fact Kraftwerk is the reason why I wasn't exploring the 70's and early 80's electronic music for long. I thought if it's all like that it's not for me. I was never exposed to this kind of electronic music in my childhood and as I said electronic music hasn't been big in Finland so my friends didn't introduce this kind of music to me. It was as if this music didn't exist or if it does it's so insignificant nobody cares. Only much later thanks to the internet have I realised how isolated from the continental Europe Finland is. While people in Germany were into Krautrock, people in Finland listened to whatever ABBA… I don't even know but it clearly wasn't Krautrock because ABBA was everywhere but I never heard about Kraftwerk, Jean Michel Jarre or Tangerine Dream. I didn't even understand that most of the "good" music is "hidden/obscure/unknown" and must be discovered by yourself (because other people don't have your taste) with hard work. That work I have been doing the last 30 years. It takes time to discover music you like among all the music you don't care about, but when you do discover something it's so great! Sometimes even confusing when you find something totally unexpected.

Nov 3, 2019 at 11:25 AM Post #576 of 609
They say this is the most controversial Miles Davis album ever:

My father is heavily into jazz including Miles Davis, but mostly 50's jazz and he hates fusion and electric stuff. So, I never heard this kind of Miles Davis. I didn't know he did this kind of "funky" music. A few years ago I explored funk music of the 70's and I discovered this kind of jazz fusion funk stuff including Miles Davis and Herbie Hancock (album "Man-child"). I'm not much into jazz myself, but I like some jazz, often when other music genres are mixed into it. I love this stuff. It's the fate of fate it took me this long to discover this music for all the older Miles Davis I was exposed to in my childhood...

Last edited:
Nov 3, 2019 at 11:47 AM Post #577 of 609
I wasn't aware of these releases. They are released in Japan which explains it. I suppose these are insanely expensive discs. I'm missing a lot of Tangerine Dream music because I'm not going to pay $30 for a soundtracks like Legend! My purchasing power has it's limits. Anyway, does it even matter when I have so much Tangerine Dream?

Sorry, I don't know what "given L for the first time" means. Hopefully not LSD…

Well, it is LSD which was the main basis for much of the musical movement. But remember it wasn’t really looked at as drug use, but more of an awakening and to be part of a change in outlook. Aside from the moral or political or health safety issues accompanied with such a thing it wasn’t really looked at as a drug but more of a right of passage.

A part of the times. Not promoting anything here except documenting musical history. Krautrock is actually fully inspired by such things as is well documented and described in the reading of the events and people of that age.

Obviously it’s not essential for 100% of the musical creativity of the times but looked at very much as the catalyst.

F65A0D6B-C393-4019-9628-34E8BA354089.jpeg

Last edited:
Nov 3, 2019 at 12:04 PM Post #578 of 609

- Dieter Dierks / bass

- Jürgen Dollase / keyboards, vocals

- Manuel Göttsching / electric guitar

- Harald Großkopf / drums

- Rosie / vocals

- Klaus Schulze / synthesizers

Cover – Peter Geitner

Lyrics By – G. Lettmann*, R. Müller*

Music By – D. Dierks*, H. Großkopf*, J. Dollase*, K. Schulze*, M. Göttsching*

Performer – Dieter Dierks, Gille*, Harald Grosskopf, Jürgen Dollase, Klaus Schulze, Manuel Göttsching, Rosi*

Producer – Gille Lettmann, Rolf-Ulrich Kaiser

Recorded By, Mixed By – Dieter Dierks

Technician [Assistant] – Heiner Friesz

Nov 3, 2019 at 12:11 PM Post #579 of 609

Nov 3, 2019 at 12:15 PM Post #580 of 609

Last edited:
Nov 3, 2019 at 12:21 PM Post #581 of 609

Last edited:
Nov 3, 2019 at 12:27 PM Post #582 of 609

This is the piece which inspired the entire movement. It predates much of the music but you can tell obviously it was emulated in style and composition especially by Gille Lettmann, Rolf-Ulrich Kaiser

Last edited:
Nov 3, 2019 at 12:47 PM Post #583 of 609
This is Kraftwerk before they purchased electronic equipment.

Nov 4, 2019 at 8:34 AM Post #584 of 609
This is Kraftwerk before they purchased electronic equipment.

I prefer this kind of acoustic Kraftwerk to the later electronic stuff, but I was shocked to find out the availability of this music is non-existing. I don't remember if this early stuff lacks CD releases of if they are insanely pricy but I ended up walking away shocked and empty handed.

Nov 4, 2019 at 5:17 PM Post #585 of 609
Time to change the channel... some big band sounds now. Amazing to hear drums drive the band like that. Rich was great.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back