Sound Science Corner Pub
Mar 10, 2018 at 6:30 PM Post #166 of 585
I think the "pure direct" button on most audio components is basically a placebo button.
From marketing point of view "pure direct" button is a stroke of genius.

Mar 10, 2018 at 10:16 PM Post #169 of 585
I think this actually does look like a DSD conversion from the original. With DSD the SNR decreases with frequency. The original noise is all there, then you have increasing noise as the frequency increases, which is what you'd expect.

This could be a totally legit DSD encode from the original master - the mastering / mixing engineers might have just decided to roll off anything over ~20khz because 1) ultrasonics can make some gear behave badly and introduce artifacts and 2) nobody is going to hear it anyway. So in order to re-introduce ultrasonics you might have to re-mix the entire thing from the original stems, which means paying the mixing engineer again, which means most labels won't bother. Let's not forget a lot *microphones* aren't particularly good over 20khz in the first place...

Yeah I wonder if it was an encode-decode from 44.1 to DSD back to 88.2. Just seems odd for that to even happen, let alone as a separate release available from a 3rd party but not the original company. Of course, this company had some albums offered as a 'Studio Master' at 88.2 and a 'Studio Master +' at 192... and of course a vinyl version. Tired of all the format baloney these days.

Mar 11, 2018 at 5:51 AM Post #170 of 585
Just curious ..what percentage improvement is exceptable?If bypassing tone controls is free and makes .05%improvement would you be in?

I said nothing about being against bypassing tone controls.
Is 0.05 % improvement audible? Either way no harm done.

Mar 15, 2018 at 8:35 PM Post #171 of 585
I said nothing about being against bypassing tone controls.
Is 0.05 % improvement audible? Either way no harm done.
I guess my point is i have had sports cars that go much faster and handle better than i could ever drive them....buts its nice to know that power and speed is available......would i miss these things if they where gone?Audiblity is the same to me...can i hear it?Maybe,but its nice to know its available.Like you said no harm done.

Mar 16, 2018 at 3:28 AM Post #172 of 585
Would you drive a sports car with the brake pedal disabled? It isn't how fast you can go. It's how you control it.

Mar 16, 2018 at 8:47 AM Post #174 of 585
I guess my point is i have had sports cars that go much faster and handle better than i could ever drive them....buts its nice to know that power and speed is available......would i miss these things if they where gone?Audiblity is the same to me...can i hear it?Maybe,but its nice to know its available.Like you said no harm done.
The difference is that you DO feel the difference of going 100 mph and 150 mph, but you don't hear sonic differences below thresholds of hearing. Say you can adjust the speed of your sport car with 0.5 mph resolution. Would you feel the difference if that was improved to 0.1 mph?

Mar 16, 2018 at 6:54 PM Post #176 of 585
The difference is that you DO feel the difference of going 100 mph and 150 mph, but you don't hear sonic differences below thresholds of hearing. Say you can adjust the speed of your sport car with 0.5 mph resolution. Would you feel the difference if that was improved to 0.1 mph?
So nothing should be better than required?Good enough is good enough?Thats gonna kill a lot of hobbies bud.

Mar 16, 2018 at 7:10 PM Post #177 of 585
Brakes are more important to a car than tone controls on a stereo...i think its like adjusting the colour on your tv because you like the colour red....its a deviation.

a deviation from what? do you assume your playback system is flat and your TV ideally calibrated without doing anything to them?
it's a matter of reference. for headphone we might even argue that taste could potentially lead you closer to your own neutral than some standard curve. so it's an even more special case.

also, put those failed analogies down before you hurt somebody. I'm pretty sure there is something in the Geneva convention about crime against analogy.^_^

Mar 16, 2018 at 7:31 PM Post #178 of 585
a deviation from what? do you assume your playback system is flat and your TV ideally calibrated without doing anything to them?
it's a matter of reference. for headphone we might even argue that taste could potentially lead you closer to your own neutral than some standard curve. so it's an even more special case.

also, put those failed analogies down before you hurt somebody. I'm pretty sure there is something in the Geneva convention about crime against analogy.^_^
A deviation from what was originally recorded....i have faith in the artists and engineers.Assuming your room is not too bad of course.I totally understand needing to correct a bad room!Bringing the Geneva convention in to this is like....nevermind

Last edited:
Mar 17, 2018 at 3:07 AM Post #179 of 585
I guess my point is i have had sports cars that go much faster and handle better than i could ever drive them....buts its nice to know that power and speed is available......would i miss these things if they where gone?Audiblity is the same to me...can i hear it?

I agree, however, it's a matter of scale. Sure, it would be nice to own a hyper car that can go 3 times the speed limit (say 210mph), even though I'd almost certainly never drive it anywhere near it's maximum speed. But what about a car that can go 7,000mph or 70,000mph, what would be the benefit of such a car over a hyper car? This is the sort of scale we're talking about in some areas of audiophilia.

G

Mar 17, 2018 at 7:01 AM Post #180 of 585
I agree, however, it's a matter of scale. Sure, it would be nice to own a hyper car that can go 3 times the speed limit (say 210mph), even though I'd almost certainly never drive it anywhere near it's maximum speed. But what about a car that can go 7,000mph or 70,000mph, what would be the benefit of such a car over a hyper car? This is the sort of scale we're talking about in some areas of audiophilia.

G
i understand and agree but,if we say this is good enough then we relegate our systems to the role of an appliance.Then its no longer a hobby...nothing to reach for.I would like to think the hardware is ahead of the software and that way always getting the most out of a recording.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back