Sound Science Corner Pub
Mar 20, 2018 at 6:01 AM Post #196 of 585
I definitely won't hold the speaker responsible for acoustics. But yeah that's what I mean. Say you took a laser scan of the speaker in motion and compared it to the input signal from the DAC. Ideally those two signals would null out to a degree that the residual signal would be considered technically inaudible.
I have heard a lot of great speakers over the years...some i loved and some not so much...they all have strengths and weaknesses...there is much more going on here than just THD...we seem to accept differences in transducers more readily than source components.

Mar 20, 2018 at 11:25 AM Post #197 of 585
It isn't that we accept it so much as it's that the room wraps a natural sounding envelope of distortion around the sound coming out of the speaker. That tends to cover the deficiencies in the speaker itself a bit. We accept the sound of the room because it's real and we can see it around us. The only time room acoustics become a problem is when it starts radically affecting specific parts of the sound. If it's just adding an ambience to the whole sound, that sounds good.

Last edited:
Mar 20, 2018 at 8:02 PM Post #198 of 585
It isn't that we accept it so much as it's that the room wraps a natural sounding envelope of distortion around the sound coming out of the speaker. That tends to cover the deficiencies in the speaker itself a bit. We accept the sound of the room because it's real and we can see it around us. The only time room acoustics become a problem is when it starts radically affecting specific parts of the sound. If it's just adding an ambience to the whole sound, that sounds good.
Agreed but there are lots of different "flavour" speakers out there and they all have a fan base and yet have recognisable differences between types.Horns,cones,planars and electrostats all have some strengths and weaknesses(hopefully minimal)and these characteristics are recognizable in a good or bad room...we just seem to give a lot of leeway here compared to source components.

Last edited:
Mar 20, 2018 at 11:44 PM Post #199 of 585
The different flavors are why you equalize to balance things.

Mar 24, 2018 at 8:25 PM Post #200 of 585
The different flavors are why you equalize to balance things.
I quess i am not communicating my idea very well....horns,cones, planars and electrostats all load the room differently..some hang the sound like picture in your room...others are more dynamic or have wider freq response ect(stuff you cant equalize with frequency manipulation) ...all acceptable differences in speakers or headphones ....not so much in electronics.

Last edited:
Mar 25, 2018 at 2:43 AM Post #201 of 585
Are you talking about directionality and dispersion? That goes hand in hand with room acoustics. You have to match the dispersion to the placement in the room and its peculiar acoustics. Different speakers have different functions.

Mar 26, 2018 at 2:06 AM Post #203 of 585
Why do these trolls always come in twos? I think they agree to tag team.

Mar 26, 2018 at 11:32 AM Post #205 of 585
Naw, you're a good one, dawg! I was talking about the recent barbarians at the gates.

Mar 27, 2018 at 12:21 AM Post #207 of 585
Okie doke thanks...still feel free to insult me down the road if necessary though...i dont take offence easily :wink:
which is good if you're going to be paranoid :imp:.
evil curiosity, in your mind who was supposed to pair with you and form the mandatory troll duo in bigshot's sentence?

Mar 27, 2018 at 1:12 AM Post #208 of 585
He isn't a dynamic duo. He's a lovable ol hound dawg!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back