Sorry . . .newbie question . . . $200-350 to spend
Jun 30, 2010 at 3:13 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

Indygreg

100+ Head-Fier
Ok, I am a bit seasoned with IEM (have UE customs and Weston 3's).  

I am looking at getting a set of cans in the price range of $200-350.  

My requirements - I will be listening to these at work via an ipod or laptop.  No amp.  I am tired of taking my IEM's out when someone wants to talk to me and no on notices them . . . so I want some cans.

I like the sound of my westone 3's.  I like the sound of my UE's, which are the no longer make 5c, which was the custom version of the Super.fi 5 pro.  Yeah, I like a more bass heavy sound.  Listen to rock, metal, jazz and Jam band music.  

What would be a good set of cans per my requirements?

Jun 30, 2010 at 3:19 PM Post #2 of 21
Once you get into that price range, many headphones require more amplification to get the most out of them.

The Denon D2000 are supposed to be relatively easy to drive, but they  are also known to leak a fair bit of sound, so that might annoy your co-workers.

As I often do, I would recommend checking out the Beyerdynamic DT150 and the DBI Pro 700.  They are both quite bassy, sound excellent, and your coworkers would definitely notice you were wearing them.

You might also want to look into some Ultrasones, though, as they are the other "bassy" company and some are supposed to be easy to drive.

Jul 1, 2010 at 2:58 PM Post #3 of 21
Maybe some Beyer DT770 Pro 80 ohms.  They have plenty of bass and should do ok without an amp.

Jul 1, 2010 at 3:03 PM Post #4 of 21
Ok, I'll do it...

ATH-M50. Bass, isolation, relative clarity, good for just about all types of music, fold, pouch.

(Of course you can also try the SRH-840's... similar qualities, slightly more neutral sound, also fold, but some find them very uncomfortable.)

shane

EDIT: Oh yeah, and both are fairly easy to drive with iPod or similar.

Jul 1, 2010 at 5:30 PM Post #5 of 21
I like the SRH840 a lot, but found that the D5000 sounded a little better out an ipod. It doesn't isolate very well but does manage to block sound leakage a little better. It's the same as the D2000 with wooden cups so go for the latter if you want to save a little. Better yet, put the $100 difference towards a usb dac/amp for your desk (e.g. udac) which will make a difference even with your 256kbps files.  DT770-80 was among the worst sounding closed headphone of 5 I've owned out an ipod so skip them unless you get a full-sized amp.

Jul 1, 2010 at 5:54 PM Post #6 of 21
If the problem is taking the IEMs out to talk/listen, which I agree is a pain, why not use the Shure PTH device with your IEMs -- just push a button, the music mutes and a tiny mic and amp lets you hear what people are saying. Costs << $200 as well ...

Jul 1, 2010 at 6:03 PM Post #7 of 21
Quote:
DT770-80 was among the worst sounding closed headphone of 5 I've owned out an ipod so skip them unless you get a full-sized amp.

I agree. I found the bass too boomy and feel the mids are too recessed for most music genres especially rock and metal. Shure 840s would be a much better option. Though I found them to be a bit uncomfortable.

Jul 1, 2010 at 6:12 PM Post #8 of 21
I actually use my AD900s at work, granted on low volume.  This way I can hear if someone approaches me behind and start talking.  I don't think it's a good idea to block out when at work and if people approach frequently.  But works well since I do like some music instead of just office noise.

Jul 1, 2010 at 10:09 PM Post #9 of 21
Sennheiser hd25 have been recommended frequently for good sound without amp and good isolation. Or the Audio Technica ES10jpn, ES10 are pretty good too, I have the ES10 and love them, isolation isn't as good as the HD25s though.

Jul 1, 2010 at 10:28 PM Post #10 of 21
Hey Now,

I use a pair of ATH-M50s for work. I always have people walking in on me in my Dilbert cube, back is to the opening. I used to use ear buds or IEMs and folks just didn't notice that I was listening to music. Now they see these neat looking cans and wave a hand in my peripheral vision or speak up a little louder and I can hear them okay. They are easily driven by an iPod at lower volumes and sound good. I can hear my phone okay. I got mine off fleabay new for 90 bucks shipped. They are fairly portable, collapse up pretty compact. Good luck on finding something that works for you.

--
Finest kind,
Chris

p.s. Sometimes I don't want to answer the phone or be bothered, so I crank it up. They seal pretty darn good.

Jul 2, 2010 at 3:04 AM Post #11 of 21
As others have mentioned, go for a Denon or Ultrasone. HFI-780 may be too bassy and won't satisfy your needs for mid frequencies, especially with rock and metal, so HFI-680 or even PRO 750 may be the way to go. Try pick up a used pair of Denon D2000 with some mods (whether it be J$ pads, MarkL mod etc). Ultrasones, IMO, definately have a more fun sound to them and block out more noise, but are also less comfortable. HFI-780 actually block out a lot of noise and people around you can barely hear your music playing. I can't say the same for my AD700...
evil_smiley.gif

Jul 2, 2010 at 3:08 AM Post #12 of 21
ESW9s are awesome work headphones, just the right amount of isolation too.

Jul 11, 2010 at 7:58 PM Post #13 of 21
ok . . . so lets say my search might open up to include an amp to drive these cans at work.  What are my best options for staying lets say at or below $500 in total amp and cans . . . or is that just not going to happen?

As to the one helpful post above . . . I do have a Sure PTH device.  Never use it.  It is a lot of darn wires and honestly I get tired of explaining it.  PTH device - nice on a plane when wearing IEM's.  Nice in an airport or anywhere you want to hear overhead paging.  Day to day use, IMHO, not so much.  

Jul 11, 2010 at 8:04 PM Post #14 of 21
If you're willing to spend up to $500, just get the Grado RS-1 and be done with it.  They're great for the genres you listed and you can run them just fine out of an iPod or other DAP.

Jul 11, 2010 at 8:11 PM Post #15 of 21

Quote:
If you're willing to spend up to $500, just get the Grado RS-1 and be done with it.  They're great for the genres you listed and you can run them just fine out of an iPod or other DAP.

Erik, you're not allowed to say stuff like that. When members like you mention things like that, my right eyebrow raises and I have to punch myself in the eye several times to get it to go down... And then while my eye hangs out of its socket, all I can see is my wallet sitting on the table and the credit cards sitting in it just waiting to be plucked.

OH GOD, MAKE IT STOP.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back