Sony's new flagship 2014 - MDR-Z7
Sep 25, 2018 at 11:41 AM Post #8,656 of 9,173
Some of you were wondering how much acousta foam I used. I took inspiration from my TH-610's damping.
It's denser in the middle and I fluffed it out on the sides to fill the chamber so air still gets to move through the ports, it did not negatively affect sound to me and I won't be taking it out.

I didn't want to have to tape the inside and my test just using cotton reduced the bass whereas with this bass is retained and I think it has made the upper/mids less harsh but I have no way to measure it. It's relatively simple and easy to do, I have loads of this stuff if you need a small bag dm me.

My M-Stage HPA 2C is a very sharp, tight sound and the MDR-Z7 was most harsh on it with upper mids, after this mod it sounds great. It also has strong low end so it's a nice fit for the MDR-Z7's signature.
If paired with the NFB.11 there isn't any harshness as it has a much softer sound so and it's the same story with my xDuoo TA-10 which is a tube amp/dac. Another user mentioned that the amp is as important as nay mod on these cans which I agree with.
If I am honest it has a very addictive sound that I can't get enough of.

This combo is very transparent and I should have some premium opamps to review soon and will do my first written review here. I do know the taller Burson v6 opamps with the plastic cover off will fit in this enclosure. Right now I have the OPA2604 fitted, I found it a little smoother than the stock OPA2134.

jkEgaj7.jpg ws0IqHF.jpg6YKOr2d.jpg1uVZUnA.jpg

Dear, Sony: I would love to review the new flagship or the MK2. :gs1000smile:

Last edited:
Oct 11, 2018 at 8:38 AM Post #8,658 of 9,173
Some of you were wondering how much acousta foam I used. I took inspiration from my TH-610's damping.
It's denser in the middle and I fluffed it out on the sides to fill the chamber so air still gets to move through the ports, it did not negatively affect sound to me and I won't be taking it out.

I didn't want to have to tape the inside and my test just using cotton reduced the bass whereas with this bass is retained and I think it has made the upper/mids less harsh but I have no way to measure it. It's relatively simple and easy to do, I have loads of this stuff if you need a small bag dm me.

My M-Stage HPA 2C is a very sharp, tight sound and the MDR-Z7 was most harsh on it with upper mids, after this mod it sounds great. It also has strong low end so it's a nice fit for the MDR-Z7's signature.
If paired with the NFB.11 there isn't any harshness as it has a much softer sound so and it's the same story with my xDuoo TA-10 which is a tube amp/dac. Another user mentioned that the amp is as important as nay mod on these cans which I agree with.
If I am honest it has a very addictive sound that I can't get enough of.

This combo is very transparent and I should have some premium opamps to review soon and will do my first written review here. I do know the taller Burson v6 opamps with the plastic cover off will fit in this enclosure. Right now I have the OPA2604 fitted, I found it a little smoother than the stock OPA2134.

Dear, Sony: I would love to review the new flagship or the MK2. :gs1000smile:

You still willing to part with some ofof yo beloved acoustic foam?

Oct 20, 2018 at 4:51 AM Post #8,659 of 9,173
07A4239A-6CA9-4560-9D33-805372D0CD83.jpeg

Sony MDR-Z7 recabled with Forza Audioworks balanced cable and iFi Audio Pro iCan listening to AC\DC...great setup, great listening.

Oct 23, 2018 at 2:55 AM Post #8,660 of 9,173
I am still using these beautiful headphones after nearly 4 years of ownership .
Awesome with the AK JR Lined out with the Cypher Labs Algorithm Trio Tube amp . This synergy works and the impedance matching is in place as well.
Highly recommended. :)

Oct 31, 2018 at 12:19 PM Post #8,662 of 9,173
I too have owned my MDR-Z7's for 4 years. The headphones look and sound as good as new too! The only "mods" done were a couple DIY short cables I made.

Very cool, brother .Enjoy . I have no plans to sell them. Z7's I find are a unique headphone and I am keeping them. They do the low end thing real well ...I mean if you are in the mood for bass? Wow. :)
Almost lcd xc's wow .:)

Nov 1, 2018 at 11:51 AM Post #8,663 of 9,173
Listened last night through a Pioneer Elite amp. Really good sounding, with volume to spare.
Maybe a DAC would help a bit, but my geek out V2 croaked last year and I don’t feel like shelling out a few hundred dollars on another one.
These phones are sweet, though!

Nov 12, 2018 at 11:34 PM Post #8,664 of 9,173
Can anyone comment on these in a mobile setting? Well really sitting at a desk but powering them with an Activo CT10. I'm looking to replace my Miles Davis Trumpet IEMs as my workplace workhorse headphone as I'm tired of having to unplug and reinsert whenever someone has the audacity to speak to someone who is wearing headphones...Anyway the Activo CT10 is a not a very powerful DAP. Are these cans pretty efficient? Is the cable super stupid long? I absolutely adore the sound of the miles Davis Trumpets, they are my favorite headphone to date and I have a DT880 and had an HD650. The Trumpets may not be the most neutral or accurate or whatever but they are fun and a joy to me. They also isolate perfectly. Are these Sony's closed back? Do they isolate well? Thanks for any input.

EDIT: Also, I'm open to suggestions to an alternative model that may fit my tastes better or maybe is better suited to mobile use. Preferably closed back...and FUN is a must!

Last edited:
Nov 13, 2018 at 12:41 AM Post #8,665 of 9,173
.Anyway the Activo CT10 is a not a very powerful DAP. Are these cans pretty efficient? Is the cable super stupid long? I absolutely adore the sound of the miles Davis Trumpets, they are my favorite headphone to date and I have a DT880 and had an HD650. The Trumpets may not be the most neutral or accurate or whatever but they are fun and a joy to me
I cannot comment on your amps power as I am not familiar with it. I can tell you that the Sony is a closed headphone, with a good sound stage, for a closed. It is rated at 102 db/mw at 70 ohm, so it is Not power hungry. l also like Miles Davis, have most of his cds. I do find that the treble can get a little to hot/harsh at times. This makes the Sony z7 my favorite headphones for listening to Miles, out 6 pairs of good phones. For the prices these sell for these days, you can snag a pair for a good price. I bought mine for $299 as a open box with full warranty. So shop around, they are out there for a fair price.

Dec 1, 2018 at 2:47 AM Post #8,666 of 9,173
i asked a head-fier to do them for me (for $125 each, asked for two, one for these Z7 and other for XBA-Z5)
I instead Will need to fit my z7m2 on balanced of pha-3, so z7m2 got one balanced 4.4mm, but pha-3 got double 3.5mm, do you know how to fit z7m2 in balanced on pha-3?

Dec 1, 2018 at 6:18 AM Post #8,667 of 9,173
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/sony-mdr-z7.894457/

Just saw one for sale for $310 in the forsale section. Though take note, I know nothing of the seller.

So impressed by the original Z7. Can’t wait to get a demo of the Z7MK2 though it maybe does not have the exact personality of the original?

The original is so amazing to me. Hard to imagine how anyone would not love it? Though take that with a grain of salt as I’m using it for electronic music 100% of the time.

Dec 1, 2018 at 12:14 PM Post #8,668 of 9,173
So impressed by the original Z7. Can’t wait to get a demo of the Z7MK2 though it maybe does not have the exact personality of the original?

The original is so amazing to me. Hard to imagine how anyone would not love it? Though take that with a grain of salt as I’m using it for electronic music 100% of the time.

They're very different. See the thoughts and graphs I posted here: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/sony-mdr-z7m2-headphone-thread.886123/page-24#post-14615878

I prefer the Z7M2, as I've always found the Z7 to be too dark, but if you really really love the Z7 it may take weeks for your ears to get used to the M2.

Dec 22, 2018 at 1:12 AM Post #8,669 of 9,173
The Z1R pads don't require a screw. Buthen the Z7 pad refit including the screw can be done in less than a minute. The Z1R only takes seconds.

Sorry for resurrecting an old post from you, but I was curious since you mentioned being comfortable with removing the Z7 pads... have you tried much/any pad rolling? I'm quite happy with the headphones overall, but the pads can get a little uncomfortable during long listening sessions. Was just curious if anyone had thoughts on more comfortable pads that don't significantly change the sound signature.

Dec 27, 2018 at 10:14 AM Post #8,670 of 9,173
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/sony-mdr-z7.894457/

Just saw one for sale for $310 in the forsale section. Though take note, I know nothing of the seller.

The Z7 are awesome for electronic music!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back