Sony MDR-Z7M2 Headphone Thread
Nov 23, 2018 at 7:40 AM Post #346 of 2,453
These comments are from the same review that yours are from.

no they're not, these comments are from the review I posted. NOT what WAS posted by someone else earlier.

Can't help you with the Denon. The Sony Z7 models are very different, but both have a certain Sony sound. Depends what you listen to and what's important to you. Maybe buy yourself one for Christmas and the other for your birthday, then put the one you like least up on eBay?

Speaking of which, since they use the same cables (color difference on the ends only), you can buy a used Z7 without cables on eBay, and a new Z7M2.
I ordered the Z7M2, hopefully I'll like them.
that's a good idea buying body only, but they're 50$ away from a brand new now. But thank you for the suggestion I'll watch out for a chance.

Last edited:
Nov 23, 2018 at 7:57 AM Post #347 of 2,453
Since its Black Friday I am able to get the Z1R as low as 9999kr usual price is 22000kr. Was dead set on the new Z7M2 but that's 7000kr. It is not the biggest leap, if the Z1R has a more relaxed signature and worth the little price difference.
Might be the way to go, only one day to decide

Nov 23, 2018 at 8:02 AM Post #348 of 2,453
Since its Black Friday I am able to get the Z1R as low as 9999kr usual price is 22000kr. Was dead set on the new Z7M2 but that's 7000kr. It is not the biggest leap, if the Z1R has a more relaxed signature and worth the little price difference.
Might be the way to go, only one day to decide
I remember someone in this thread who owned both prefered the Z7M2, I can't remember why though.

Nov 23, 2018 at 9:49 AM Post #349 of 2,453
They already sold out the Z1R in some hours, so then it will be the Z7M2. Need a closed set that's more on the fun side than critical listening type. Sold my Mad Dog 3.2 this summer, I often found them not comfy since they got warm very fast due to closed design.
I do miss having a good closed set and I ha e a feel that this one is a it cooler on the ears.

Last edited:
Nov 23, 2018 at 11:08 AM Post #350 of 2,453
@Leonarfd I expect you'll be happy. It seems to me the Z7M2 represents all that Sony has learned from reactions to the Z7 and Z1R.

Like the bed Goldilocks said was "just right", it seems to me the Z7M2 has smoother bass than the other two, smoother low midrange than the Z7, slightly more midrange than both, stronger and smoother high midrange than both, plus a moderate increase in treble presence and smoother treble brilliance over the others. Or at least that's what I'm hearing, and I think that's what I think I'm seeing in these graphs:

Sony-MDR-Z1R-Z7M2-SennHD650.png

(The above image apparently originated on a Korean audiophile forum. I found it on another forum founded by former Head-Fi renegades. We are banned from linking to that site, so I copied it over instead.)

MDR-Z7 graph:

Sony_MDR-Z7_r__ponse_en_fq.jpg

(The above image is from the MDR-Z7 thread here on Head-Fi, page 161.)

For more information, see: The Audio Spectrum Explained

And now back to just enjoying my Z7M2!

Nov 23, 2018 at 4:52 PM Post #351 of 2,453
I remember someone in this thread who owned both prefered the Z7M2, I can't remember why though.
I think you can now add me to that list as well.

And I'm not hearing that 10k treble peak at all.

Hmmm...

Nov 23, 2018 at 9:16 PM Post #352 of 2,453
Ugh I'm so close to pulling the trigger on these. I'm actually closer to just paying full price on Amazon than I am anything else. First off I don't like paying for things and then waiting potentially weeks while they travel across the pond to me and go through customs etc. Plus having a Sony US warranty would have its advantages in case it's needed I imagine.

EDIT: lmao I'm just trying to justify paying literally hundreds of dollars more and receiving them Monday as opposed to paying nearly half and waiting weeks. Such agony!

EDIT 2: So I pulled the trigger...also ordered a ZX300 LMAO. I paid legit retail but I'll get the items in two days (Monday) and I'm supposing I'll have an easier time with warranty issues should there be any. I'm excited!
Jesus I've also got a used pioneer 300R on the way that should be here tomorrow. I'm gonna put the two head to head and see which one I like better. I'll probably keep both regardless but it should be interesting. I wish I had something terminated in 2.5mm balanced. Got two Sony phones now terminated in 4.5mm balanced so I'll get to test the balanced out on the ZX300. I'm thinking the MDR-1AM2 and MDR-Z7M2 will pair beautifully with the ZX300. Especially using the 4.5mm balanced. I mean they were pretty much all made for each other.

Last edited:
Nov 24, 2018 at 12:03 PM Post #353 of 2,453
Hi everyone,

if you could tell me please, would the sony z7 or z7m2 be great for modern pop music and female vocalists?

my sony mdr-1a does a decent job, my only complaint is that I can't wear them for over an hour because they're kinda small on my ears, and meant for portable use.

I just got my pair in today which I’m shocked. FedEx said Wednesday and I came home with a box on my front porch with these. I got them to review so I don’t have an amp or anything and powering it with my iPhone X with the adapter. The max volume is fine and you don’t necessarily need an amp to power these if you’re being lazy. That being said I’ll probably buy one in a few weeks. I’m also using tidal with Hifi.

To answer your question female vocals are fine with these. Listening to Don’t let me down and closer by the chainsmokers since I’ve listened to those songs a ton and can tell the differences between headphones. Daya’s voice isn’t recessed.

My first impressions with these is that it’s lacking bass for a bass head which I like but I have other portable headphones that has more so I’m fine with it. The bass isn’t bad though. From what I’ve read here and listening to these I would say it would have less bass the the Z7. The sound stage is impressive though for a closed backed headphone. These are just my initial impressions listening to it for about an hour so far

Nov 24, 2018 at 1:30 PM Post #354 of 2,453
Just received a new custom set of sliver plated, oxygen free cooper, Litz braided, 6ft cables from David at Trition Audio for these Sony MDR-Z7M2's. These are terminated in 4.4mm balanced pentaconn.

I'll have to be patient as I don't presently own any gear in 4.4mm. But getting myself ready for the Woo Audio WA11, which I've pre-ordered. That unit has a 4.4mm out.

Will let you know I think about the cables and the MDR-Z7M2's in balanced mode when the time comes.

Edit: I was asked so I'll add...Yes, these cables do comply with the Sony screw-down locking collar system.

20181124_101715.jpg

Last edited:
Nov 24, 2018 at 5:22 PM Post #355 of 2,453
Hi, I'm going to buy Mdr z7 or z7m2, sorry the question.. What is Sensitivity measured in db? Z7 have 102dB/mW, while Z7M2 98dB/mW. And do you guys notice a lot the difference? Which I think, It's considerabile.. Thanks. I'm new to Head-fi and forum's At all ahah And in headphones at all, I bought Mdr hw700ds 9.1 cinema surround, and they were mindblowing, But i selled them cause in 4k for their receiver was Limited to 30hz, that's why i'm headed to mdr z7... I even bought already Pha-3, I'm waiting to buy z7 or z7m2, I Will use them with Ps4 Pro mostly, so I even ask, usb or optical with Pha-3? I don't know a lot of audio so, excuse me :)

Last edited:
Nov 24, 2018 at 5:49 PM Post #356 of 2,453
Hi, I'm going to buy Mdr z7 or z7m2, sorry the question.. What is Sensitivity measured in db? Z7 have 102dB/mW, while Z7M2 98dB/mW. And do you guys notice a lot the difference? Which I think, It's considerabile.. Thanks. I'm new to Head-fi and forum's At all ahah And in headphones at all, I bought Mdr hw700ds 9.1 cinema surround, and they were mindblowing, But i selled them cause in 4k for their receiver was Limited to 30hz, that's why i'm headed to mdr z7... I even bought already Pha-3, I'm waiting to buy z7 or z7m2, I Will use them with Ps4 Pro mostly, so I even ask, usb or optical with Pha-3? I don't know a lot of audio so, excuse me :)

The Z7M2 requires slightly less drive, resulting in a small difference in the position of the volume dial. That is not the most significant difference between them, and certainly doesn't affect how well various amps can drive them. I don't whether the cause is the sensitivity or the impedence (70 ohm for the Z7, 56 ohms for the Z7M2) or both. I can't answer your question about the PHA-3, and that's probably best asked on the PHA-3 thread: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/sony-pha-3-balanced-portable-dac-amp.733162/

Nov 24, 2018 at 6:04 PM Post #357 of 2,453
The Z7M2 requires slightly less drive, resulting in a small difference in the position of the volume dial. That is not the most significant difference between them, and certainly doesn't affect how well various amps can drive them. I don't whether the cause is the sensitivity or the impedence (70 ohm for the Z7, 56 ohms for the Z7M2) or both. I can't answer your question about the PHA-3, and that's probably best asked on the PHA-3 thread: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/sony-pha-3-balanced-portable-dac-amp.733162/
Oh, I'll try myself when Pha-3 arrive, no problem.. But for the amplification with Pha-3 I think there Will be no problem.. My only doubt for deciding which one beside Z7 and Z7M2 is the +4 dB sensitivity for z7, which seems considerable, I play At loud/very loud volume.. What sensitivity really is? Isn't the gamma of volume possibly reproducible for headphone? Or distortion At high level? I'll probably go for z7m1, then i'll decide for new or used, after spending 900-1000€ i'll own then for At least 3-4 year. :) Thanks

Nov 24, 2018 at 7:53 PM Post #358 of 2,453
Can anyone comment on the MDR-Z7M2 paired with Sony’s portable DAP, the ZX300? Anyone own that combo?

Nov 24, 2018 at 9:18 PM Post #359 of 2,453
The Z7M2's bass sounds more upfront/visceral/immediate compared to the Z1R (the Z1R's bass sounds a bit far back, perhaps due to the vastly wider soundstage); the bass slam is more palpable. I consider the 1AM2 as the Z7M2's baby brother (I also have the 1AM2); if the Z7M2 feels as if you are surrounded by a wall of bass, the 1AM2 scales back the experience by two or three steps (but still carries that bass weight nevertheless).

Thx for the comparisons! I was thinking about buying an 1AM2 since it gets very positive reviews everywhere and there are some good deal for the equivalent of ~150 USD now, but the Z7M2 with those 70mm drivers are so tempting, its a hard decision, unfortunately I have no chance to compare them...

For a long time I thought I'm a bass-head, but after auditioning the 1AM2, I'm not 100% sure anymore.
Its hard to describe. I definitely need an emphasized bass (the signature of some brands sounds awfully thin and boring to me, esp. with 60/70s Rock with lacking bass impact, thus need some boost).
I miss not necessarily the the 'eardrum-hitting' type of bass, but rather the 'visceral' kind of sub-bass you almost feel within your body, around 50-80hz and below with a good extension and rumble. My theory is that I cannot tolerate sub-bass roll-off (unfortunately most headphones suffer from this), when mid-bass overshadows the sub-bass and/or bleeds to the mids.

These are the headphones/IEMs I had recent experience with, for reference:
- 1AM2: auditioned it in a noisy store with an iPad, but even with this non-ideal setup I immediately liked the smooth and fun signature a lot!
- XB950BT: meh, lots off mid-bass bloat, bleeding into the mids
- Sennheiser IE8: lots of mid-bass, overshadowing the sub-bass
- XB90EX: my IEM, I love it, but I treat them like babies now, since it is not manufactured anymore and the unused ones are sold on eBay for 500+ USD lol... If I ever find an over-ear equivalent of it, that could be my endgame

My 'gear':
- DAC/AMP: Fiio E10 (at the moment)
- Sources: Spotify Premium mostly, Soundcloud/Mixcloud sometimes. No Hi-Res sources.
- Music styles: Deep/Soulful/Funky/Jazzy/House/Acid Jazz/Rock/Fusion. As background music during work in the office. Mostly non-vocal focused songs. No classical.

Normally one would think that a 70mm driver is a guarantee for awesome rumbling subwoofer-like bass compared to the 40mm ones, but interestingly, based on the reviews so far, on average, the 1AM2 seems to get more praise for its bass (at least in its category), and the Z7M2 seems more controversial and even bass-shy for some. (all expensive headphones seem to be somewhat controversial though)

What do you think, would the Z7M2 be an overkill for streaming audio, and possibly sound 'less fun' than the 1AM2 if it reveals the weaknesses of the recordings and/or sources?

Or in other words: is the Z7M2 tuned for a more 'audiophile' signature (more analytical, and more mid/treble focus) and possibly the 1AM2 has a more forgiving, 'consumer'-friendly sound and maybe a better choice for non-perfect sources/recordings or certain music styles?

Nov 24, 2018 at 9:55 PM Post #360 of 2,453
Thx for the comparisons! I was thinking about buying an 1AM2 since it gets very positive reviews everywhere and there are some good deal for the equivalent of ~150 USD now, but the Z7M2 with those 70mm drivers are so tempting, its a hard decision, unfortunately I have no chance to compare them...

For a long time I thought I'm a bass-head, but after auditioning the 1AM2, I'm not 100% sure anymore.
Its hard to describe. I definitely need an emphasized bass (the signature of some brands sounds awfully thin and boring to me, esp. with 60/70s Rock with lacking bass impact, thus need some boost).
I miss not necessarily the the 'eardrum-hitting' type of bass, but rather the 'visceral' kind of sub-bass you almost feel within your body, around 50-80hz and below with a good extension and rumble. My theory is that I cannot tolerate sub-bass roll-off (unfortunately most headphones suffer from this), when mid-bass overshadows the sub-bass and/or bleeds to the mids.

These are the headphones/IEMs I had recent experience with, for reference:
- 1AM2: auditioned it in a noisy store with an iPad, but even with this non-ideal setup I immediately liked the smooth and fun signature a lot!
- XB950BT: meh, lots off mid-bass bloat, bleeding into the mids
- Sennheiser IE8: lots of mid-bass, overshadowing the sub-bass
- XB90EX: my IEM, I love it, but I treat them like babies now, since it is not manufactured anymore and the unused ones are sold on eBay for 500+ USD lol... If I ever find an over-ear equivalent of it, that could be my endgame

My 'gear':
- DAC/AMP: Fiio E10 (at the moment)
- Sources: Spotify Premium mostly, Soundcloud/Mixcloud sometimes. No Hi-Res sources.
- Music styles: Deep/Soulful/Funky/Jazzy/House/Acid Jazz/Rock/Fusion. As background music during work in the office. Mostly non-vocal focused songs. No classical.

Normally one would think that a 70mm driver is a guarantee for awesome rumbling subwoofer-like bass compared to the 40mm ones, but interestingly, based on the reviews so far, on average, the 1AM2 seems to get more praise for its bass (at least in its category), and the Z7M2 seems more controversial and even bass-shy for some. (all expensive headphones seem to be somewhat controversial though)

What do you think, would the Z7M2 be an overkill for streaming audio, and possibly sound 'less fun' than the 1AM2 if it reveals the weaknesses of the recordings and/or sources?

Or in other words: is the Z7M2 tuned for a more 'audiophile' signature (more analytical, and more mid/treble focus) and possibly the 1AM2 has a more forgiving, 'consumer'-friendly sound and maybe a better choice for non-perfect sources/recordings or certain music styles?
I think you made some pretty good deductions when it comes to the 1AM2 and the Z7M2. I know you’re spot on about the 1AM2, which I love. I hope I enjoy my Z7M2 even more considering I’ll have paid more than double for it haha. I hope it’s not boring and analytical. I consider my DT880 to be boring and analytical. I surely don’t need another can like that. I’ll get my Z7 Tuesday along with a ZX300

Users who are viewing this thread

Back