Sony MDR-Z7M2 Headphone Thread
Nov 20, 2018 at 7:53 PM Post #316 of 2,453
Last edited:
Nov 20, 2018 at 8:13 PM Post #317 of 2,453
@sergeant blackburn, I'm currently listening to your posted Tinashe tracks on Soundcloud with these headphones. Do you know the sound quality of the source?

Ok I had a listen to tracks 1,3 and 6. Bass drops for sure, no doubt. Speed is tight and not flabby. Vocals are clean and defined.

Last edited:
Nov 20, 2018 at 8:22 PM Post #318 of 2,453
anyone please give these two lists a listen, at least some songs:

female voc:
https://open.spotify.com/playlist/3mxXbuZXW3GwIZ37wv3g0e
male voc:
https://open.spotify.com/playlist/3AD3lTpcuMGUEeBKmD17iZ

Edit: also this mixtape is sick:

please tell me they suit my music because I'm diggin the design.

on a side note, what do you think of the Denon AH-D5200? they don't seem to be popular at all.

For some reason, Denon is woefully underrated. I have the D9200 and they are fantastic.

Anyway, I think the Sony does really well with these tracks.

Nov 20, 2018 at 8:34 PM Post #319 of 2,453
@sergeant blackburn, I'm currently listening to your posted Tinashe tracks on Soundcloud with these headphones. Do you know the sound quality of the source?

Ok I had a listen to tracks 1,3 and 6. Bass drops for sure, no doubt. Speed is tight and not flabby. Vocals are clean and defined.

unfortunately I don't know, no idea why it was removed from spotify. I have a 320 copy of my own if necessary.
please listen to Raye on spotify, tell me what u think.

For some reason, Denon is woefully underrated. I have the D9200 and they are fantastic.

Anyway, I think the Sony does really well with these tracks.

great news thank you.

I'm skeptical about the Denons sice the price is close to these sonys.

Last edited:
Nov 21, 2018 at 12:25 AM Post #320 of 2,453
anyone please give these two lists a listen, at least some songs:

female voc:
https://open.spotify.com/playlist/3mxXbuZXW3GwIZ37wv3g0e
male voc:
https://open.spotify.com/playlist/3AD3lTpcuMGUEeBKmD17iZ

Edit: also this mixtape is sick:

please tell me they suit my music because I'm diggin the design.

on a side note, what do you think of the Denon AH-D5200? they don't seem to be popular at all.

I only listened to some of the Tinashe tracks, as free Spotify playlists still require us to register.

I think both headphones suit that kind of music, but the Z7 emphasizes bass while the Z7M2 brings vocals and other high mids forward, including finger snapping. To me the Z7M2 has the same powerful warm lows as the Z7, but because the Z7M2's vocals are so much more prominent some Z7 owners are initially finding this difficult to get used to. That should not concern you.

The Z7M2 is clearly designed to address the criticism that the Z7's bass is so prominent the midrange seems recessed, resulting in veiled vocals and highs. As you seem particularly focused on vocals, I expect you'd be very happy with the Z7M2.

Nov 21, 2018 at 6:05 AM Post #321 of 2,453
I only listened to some of the Tinashe tracks, as free Spotify playlists still require us to register.

I think both headphones suit that kind of music, but the Z7 emphasizes bass while the Z7M2 brings vocals and other high mids forward, including finger snapping. To me the Z7M2 has the same powerful warm lows as the Z7, but because the Z7M2's vocals are so much more prominent some Z7 owners are initially finding this difficult to get used to. That should not concern you.

The Z7M2 is clearly designed to address the criticism that the Z7's bass is so prominent the midrange seems recessed, resulting in veiled vocals and highs. As you seem particularly focused on vocals, I expect you'd be very happy with the Z7M2.
thank you for your thoughts, really help. yeah I read a lot of complaints about z7 having a muffled mid range, some say bass bloat.
I listen to a lot of r&b music, I care for an amount of bass but not too much.

and would love to see them compared to mdr1a if you or anyone have tired both.

Last edited:
Nov 21, 2018 at 3:35 PM Post #324 of 2,453
Nov 21, 2018 at 6:43 PM Post #325 of 2,453
Hardly. Jeez, who said that...?

That may be the initial impression of a few Z7 owners when they first hear the Z7M2, but it will pass.

I've found my ears need time to get used to new headphones. IMHO "brain burn-in" is much more important than equipment burn-in.

Nov 21, 2018 at 6:59 PM Post #326 of 2,453
The MDr-Z7m2 has dropped in price SIGNIFICANTLY in Japan. I was just able to pick up one from Bic Camera for 45,000 yen or roughly 450 dollars. Crazy price.

I enjoyed my demo a lot so I am looking forward to trying them on my new THX amp.

So if you want these look at importing them from Japan, you can save a lot of money.

It is getting a bit trashed in reviews from Japanese audiophiles (or should I say Sony fans) so that may be why its dropped so much.

They dont like how flat it sounds and want the real bassy and warm Sony sound back.

I found these to be quite well balanced which is why I am buying them, but I guess if you were a big fan of that old Sony sound these will be disappointing.

Nov 21, 2018 at 6:59 PM Post #327 of 2,453
Uhm...the Z7M2 doesn't sound bright and harsh. They can actually use a bit more brightness haha :)

Nov 21, 2018 at 7:49 PM Post #328 of 2,453
That may be the initial impression of a few Z7 owners when they first hear the Z7M2, but it will pass.

I've found my ears need time to get used to new headphones. IMHO "brain burn-in" is much more important than equipment burn-in.
I've found that 'brain burn-out' also affects opinions.

Nov 21, 2018 at 10:22 PM Post #330 of 2,453
I'm really really enjoying the Z7M2. It sounds like the recording you are listening to. If the recording is modern maxed-out super compressed crap, the M2 is crappy. If it it a nice spacious more natural recording, so is the M2. I was listening to Widespread Panic's "Sell Sell" and I thought "what the hell is wrong with these headphones'?. Then on 'Bali Run' by Fourplay it was "Wow! these are amazing".

There is plenty of low end and the highs complement the superb midrange and do no harm. When I reverted back to the LCD-2C Closed, it confirmed what I suspected....the 2C Closed is somewhat honky and congested in the middle and the upper mid is reticent and a bit muddy. The energy in that area seems zapped out compared to the M2. The 2C is also grainier and less refined in the top (to my ears). The M2 sounds more like what the HD820 should have been, although the 820 beats the M2 in space and openness.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back