Sony MDR-Z7M2 Headphone Thread
Nov 19, 2018 at 12:35 PM Post #301 of 2,461
The Z7s are the most comfortable headphones I've ever owned. I have always found vocals a bit recessed though, so I am going to try the Z7M2 this week. (I also have the Audeze LCD2 Closed Back which I think would be great for your music and have a great sound stage for closed-backs, but they are enormous, heavy, and tight.)
thanks for the response, the audeze are out of my budget besides people report they're not comfortable to wear for long periods of time. a seller gave me a limited time price for the "z7m2", I'm not sure if I should pull the trigger or wait even if it meant paying more later. I also have my eyes on the old z7 in case they go on sale this friday?!

EDIT: are you speaking of this lcd?
https://www.amazon.com/Audeze-LCD-2-Closed-Headphone-Leather/dp/B07FKYDG8Q#customerReviews

Last edited:
Nov 19, 2018 at 12:42 PM Post #302 of 2,461
thanks for the response, the audeze are out of my budget besides people report they're not comfortable to wear for long periods of time. a seller gave me a limited time price for the "z7m2", I'm not sure if I should pull the trigger or wait even if it meant paying more later. I also have my eyes on the old z7 in case they go on sale this friday?!

After about an hour, wearing the Audeze LCD2-CB is hard work for me. I sometimes use a Schiit Loki to boost the Z7 midrange. I will receive my Z7M2 Wednesday but I've found a proper review requires about two weeks of regular listening. Initial impressions are not as useful.

Nov 19, 2018 at 1:57 PM Post #305 of 2,461
I'll try to read about it.

but what do you think, I can grap the z7m2 now for 500$ shipped, should I?

the only thing stopping me is because some folks here said they're bright harsh and lack bass impact !

Can't say 'till I get a pair of my own, but I suspect those are initial impressions of where the Z7M2 is stronger compared to the Z7, and I wonder if Z7M2 will sound better after a couple weeks of listening. It's not so much burning in the cans; it's burning in the ears, and by that I mean the brain. And $500 is a good price! You can probably resell them for a similar amount if you really don't like them.

Nov 19, 2018 at 2:37 PM Post #306 of 2,461
the only thing stopping me is because some folks here said they're bright harsh and lack bass impact !
I see you are new to the forum, that being said it is always best to listen and judge for yourself. If you are like me and live in an area that is a wasteland when it comes to audio, try to buy online from sellers with liberal return policies. Hope you don't mind me offering this advice. Try to remember we all hear different , and have our own taste in what we like, that we do hear. Good luck with your search !

Nov 19, 2018 at 5:14 PM Post #307 of 2,461
I see you are new to the forum, that being said it is always best to listen and judge for yourself. If you are like me and live in an area that is a wasteland when it comes to audio, try to buy online from sellers with liberal return policies. Hope you don't mind me offering this advice. Try to remember we all hear different , and have our own taste in what we like, that we do hear. Good luck with your search !
I've been actually reading on this site since 2015.

on the wasteland subject, I feel your pain. I had to keep a headphone I didn't like at all because seller didn't accept returns, tried to sell it I only got offers of 50% of what I've paid.
again, as you said everyone taste is different, those headphones I hated had really positive reviews on youtube and was quite popular.

anyone please with the z7m2 burned in and ready, I want to post a spotify playlist so you could tell me if it suits my music.

Nov 19, 2018 at 5:43 PM Post #308 of 2,461
Yes. Sony MDR-1A with Meze 99 pads did. Audeze LCD-X does. Shure SRH-1540. All of the infamous V and U shaped Fostex / Denon. It may not matter to those who don't listen to music stuff with really low sub bass. It does if you do, especially if you're a mixing / mastering engineer that uses headphones for an alternative to get a different take on what they're hearing aside from the studio monitors they normally use. If you can't hear it, and hear it at the level it actually is at, not 10-15 db lower than it is on cans that roll off early but still extend, like the LCD-2 or Sennheiser HD-59X do. Example songs to test are "The Way You Move" by Outkast. That's about 31 hz. "The Weekend" by Kelis is about 29 hz. Dinah Jane Hanson a brand new song out called "Bottled Up" with sub bass in the mid 20 hz area, the lowest I've heard in a major pop song. That's not counting second or third harmonics that could go lower, to even 20 hz or below. I've personally witnessed people mixing sub bass stuff that was horrible in a large club system with quad 18" subs when they hit those lows. Apparently they used nearfields that roll off near 50 hz or higher, or headphones without the sub bass (AKG K240 or whatever) and they had no idea it was that loud, or it was there, but at -10 db down, so they turned it up 10 db too much.
Well there you go. I was listening to the wrong music.

Nov 19, 2018 at 5:45 PM Post #309 of 2,461
Oh, I just got them Friday and let them run in a bit and I'll post some impressions in due course.

Nov 19, 2018 at 6:10 PM Post #310 of 2,461
Hey guys i'm weighing my purchase options at the moment. What's the difference (if any) between the international version and non-international version? I'm in the US.

Nov 19, 2018 at 6:12 PM Post #311 of 2,461
Hey guys i'm weighing my purchase options at the moment. What's the difference (if any) between the international version and non-international version? I'm in the US.
as I know international version means no warranty inside usa from sony at least, the seller should provide that.

Nov 19, 2018 at 6:13 PM Post #312 of 2,461
Nov 20, 2018 at 3:09 PM Post #313 of 2,461
Do any headphones have usable, audible bass under 30Hz?
Yep - the Hifiman Arya, which are open back, actually have some of the best bass i've heard in that region. The gigantic drivers and earpads almost make the sub-bass subwoofer-like in the way in moves air.

Received my Z7M2 today. Not a huge believer in burn in usually, but as I've heard some things about the other Sony LCP drivers, going to give them a listen longer.

For now, I'll just say I'm liking these a a lot. Supremely comfortable - some of the most comfortable closed backs I've used. Isolation is noticeably better than the Elegia and HD820 and Denon D9200.

Sound-wise, quick impressions are lots of detail. Big, tall soundstage, though not super wide. Bass tight and quick. Very pleasant frequency response throughout.

Last edited:
Nov 20, 2018 at 7:47 PM Post #315 of 2,461
Ugh I want a pair of these so damn bad. I just got an MDR-1AM2 like less than a week ago and I adore them. Makes me wonder what Sony can do for double the price haha. Plus I just love the way the Z7M2 looks. Like I'm 95% gonna buy a pair of these based on the way they look alone. But yeah the 1AM2 is used for work duty and the Z7M2 won't leave the house.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back