Sony MDR-Z7M2 Headphone Thread
Nov 25, 2018 at 6:15 PM Post #376 of 2,453
A lot of it is amp-dependent. But in most cases the bass is less 'large' than that of the Z1R, so the overall character is more focused on the midrange, with enough top so as to not intrude on that.
Many good price on ebay as of now. $500 for them with EMS shipping is very nice! Must resist!

Nov 25, 2018 at 6:28 PM Post #377 of 2,453
Many good price on ebay as of now. $500 for them with EMS shipping is very nice! Must resist!

I think that's a fantastic price. Some of us that bought them soon after worldwide release were able to get a discount. I bought from a broker in Hong Kong for around $660.00 USD. Full retail pricing in the US is $899.99, which is alot. I'm happy with the price I paid and if others can get these for an even better deal then more power to them.

Nov 25, 2018 at 8:54 PM Post #378 of 2,453
$500 is damn good. I chose to pay full retail on amazon USA in order to get them in two days, not deal with customs, and to more easily utilize a warranty if needed. Plus I could finance them for 12 months with no interest. Also picked up the NW-ZX300 for full retail for the same reasons.

Nov 25, 2018 at 8:58 PM Post #379 of 2,453
$500 is damn good. I chose to pay full retail on amazon USA in order to get them in two days, not deal with customs, and to more easily utilize a warranty if needed. Plus I could finance them for 12 months with no interest. Also picked up the NW-ZX300 for full retail for the same reasons.
I had one of the Z7's driver quit on me before and I had to pay $150 for part and do my own repair. So I am holding tight for now.

I bought this particular Z7 off from Amazon from an international seller, thus, no warranty.

Last edited:
Nov 25, 2018 at 9:10 PM Post #380 of 2,453
I had one of the Z7's driver quit on me before and I had to pay $150 for part and do my own repair. So I am holding tight for now.

I bought this particular Z7 off from Amazon from an international seller, thus, no warranty.
What! Was that under warranty as well or no? Well I'm guessing not lol

EDIT: oh I'm an idiot. You specifically said no warranty.
EDIT 2: And yeah see that's kinda why I'm where I'm at with my purchases over the weekend. Things like that.

Last edited:
Nov 26, 2018 at 10:46 AM Post #382 of 2,453
What! Was that under warranty as well or no? Well I'm guessing not lol

EDIT: oh I'm an idiot. You specifically said no warranty.
EDIT 2: And yeah see that's kinda why I'm where I'm at with my purchases over the weekend. Things like that.
I gotta say man you're worried about warranty you'll probably never need while 400$ could buy you another pair if your first died.

Nov 26, 2018 at 9:18 PM Post #384 of 2,453
I gotta say man you're worried about warranty you'll probably never need while 400$ could buy you another pair if your first died.
Yeah I don’t disagree with you lol.

Nov 26, 2018 at 9:23 PM Post #385 of 2,453
This ZX300 is serving the MDR-1AM2 just right. Can’t wait to get this Z7M2 tomorrow! Going from SE to balanced on this 1AM2 I’m feeling like I’m noticing the biggest difference on the treble and mid range. Of course that could also just be the difference of going from the Pioneer XDP-300R to the ZX300. Who knows lol

Nov 27, 2018 at 5:40 AM Post #386 of 2,453
This ZX300 is serving the MDR-1AM2 just right. Can’t wait to get this Z7M2 tomorrow! Going from SE to balanced on this 1AM2 I’m feeling like I’m noticing the biggest difference on the treble and mid range. Of course that could also just be the difference of going from the Pioneer XDP-300R to the ZX300. Who knows lol
I'm curious to ask, why do you need these sluggish portable players anyway? any decent smart phone has probably a better dac ans OS. specially the headphones you mentioned sound great hooked to anything.

He said he does not like sony's signature in his 1am2 review.

Nov 27, 2018 at 5:54 AM Post #387 of 2,453
I'm curious to ask, why do you need these sluggish portable players anyway? any decent smart phone has probably a better dac ans OS. specially the headphones you mentioned sound great hooked to anything.

OS/UI is a matter of taste but the ZX300's balanced output, and possibly the single ended output would produce far better results in driving the Z7MK2

Nov 27, 2018 at 7:03 AM Post #388 of 2,453

I like portable players because blindbtesting shows that most people can’t hear the difference between a portable player and a $10,000 desktop dac/amp.

And my iPhone 7+ sounds like harsh metallic sh%t.

Nov 27, 2018 at 7:19 AM Post #389 of 2,453
Not sure what portable player you are referring to, but any mid to high end portable player will sound miles ahead of any smartphone

Nov 27, 2018 at 8:36 AM Post #390 of 2,453
OS/UI is a matter of taste but the ZX300's balanced output, and possibly the single ended output would produce far better results in driving the Z7MK2
CoryGillmore was speaking of 1Am2. I don't who would take z7m2 outdoors.
I like portable players because blindbtesting shows that most people can’t hear the difference between a portable player and a $10,000 desktop dac/amp.

And my iPhone 7+ sounds like harsh metallic sh%t.

my iphone 7 sounds fine to me, in fact agreeing with what you said the difference between my phone and dac is minimal.
Not sure what portable player you are referring to, but any mid to high end portable player will sound miles ahead of any smartphone
yeah I doubt it would be that much of a difference.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back