Sony MDR-Z7M2 Headphone Thread
Nov 27, 2018 at 10:29 AM Post #391 of 2,453
yeah I doubt it would be that much of a difference.

Everyone's yardstick is different. But I can tell you the improvements you get with better sources (and in this case good portable players) are much more than cable upgrades. Any respectable mid or high end DAP will immediately add more musicality over a mobile phone. Whether such an improvement is worth the inconvenience and money, is highly dependant on the individual. But for someone who is willing to blow cash on a Z7 and participate on this forum, and finally to think otherwise... is rather odd.

Last edited:
Nov 27, 2018 at 1:11 PM Post #392 of 2,453
Everyone's yardstick is different. But I can tell you the improvements you get with better sources (and in this case good portable players) are much more than cable upgrades. Any respectable mid or high end DAP will immediately add more musicality over a mobile phone. Whether such an improvement is worth the inconvenience and money, is highly dependant on the individual. But for someone who is willing to blow cash on a Z7 and participate on this forum, and finally to think otherwise... is rather odd.
I've said that I don't find a "miles ahead" difference between my phone and desktop dac. Yes my dac sounds more open, has better volume control but that's about it, I don't hear distortion on my phone. I certainly doubt these portable players are better than my 400$ dac? and yes I test with different 24bit flac music albums from different artists.

to me the factors that makes the huge difference is the source music+headphones!

my old HTC phone from 2011 sounds even closer to my dac than my iphone 7.

Nov 27, 2018 at 2:15 PM Post #393 of 2,453
Phones have come a long way and sound pretty good these days - the benefits of higher quality gear, regardless of pricing can perhaps depend on whether we focus on just enjoying the music as a whole or focusing on the minute details of how the music is being presented to us.

Nov 27, 2018 at 5:00 PM Post #395 of 2,453
I pulled it directly from my a$$...
Haha nah for real though I was reading in the science forums about all the blind tests that basically show how we're all morons and took it upon myself to embellish a bit. There's definitely tests where they couldn't pick out very expensive equipment over basic equipment. I don't know though man, I think people cling on to that sort of thing so they can feel good about their $100 DAC as opposed to spending a little money.
At the same time though, to an extent, I feel like all this equipment starts to sound the same once you can't see the equipment anymore. Sorta like actually seeing that shiny PS Audio DAC will trick your damn brain into hearing it differently. Who knows, but the fact remains that in real world testing, audiophiles can't pick out expensive equipment. Obviously I'm not talking about speakers or headphones. Just DACs and amplification.

Nov 27, 2018 at 5:09 PM Post #396 of 2,453
I've said that I don't find a "miles ahead" difference between my phone and desktop dac. Yes my dac sounds more open, has better volume control but that's about it, I don't hear distortion on my phone. I certainly doubt these portable players are better than my 400$ dac? and yes I test with different 24bit flac music albums from different artists.

to me the factors that makes the huge difference is the source music+headphones!

my old HTC phone from 2011 sounds even closer to my dac than my iphone 7.
Yeah I agree with this for the most part, though I've never been a huge fan of my iPhone 7+. But yeah to answer your OG question: we're not allowed to have our phones at our work stations, but DAPs (so long as there's no camera) are just fine. This is a newish job for me, which is why I've sorta gone a little crazy on portables here lately. That's the answer I really should have given you to your OG question.

Nov 27, 2018 at 9:55 PM Post #397 of 2,453
24871F65-8EF8-4FCB-9E8A-6D17E15B7CE4.jpeg
These things are fantastic. Definitely sound best out of my PC soundcard though. It’s a Creative ZxR and it’s dead ass silent and quite powerful. Low gain with volume on 30/100 compared to all my portables that are on high gain and volume way up towards the top. The balanced out on that ZX300 does do both my Sony cans justice though. But yeah my early impression led me to believe the SE out on my ZxR sounds a little more spacious than even the 4.4 on the ZX300. Which I mean yeah, it’s a portable, a damn good one, but still a portable. Sacrifices will be made.

Nov 28, 2018 at 6:31 AM Post #398 of 2,453
How the balanced 4.4mm of the z7m2's gonna works with my Pha-3? Adapters? But does Adapters decrease audio quality? Or separate cables? Which one do you suggest? Thanks

Nov 28, 2018 at 8:29 AM Post #399 of 2,453
These things are fantastic. Definitely sound best out of my PC soundcard though. It’s a Creative ZxR and it’s dead ass silent and quite powerful. Low gain with volume on 30/100 compared to all my portables that are on high gain and volume way up towards the top. The balanced out on that ZX300 does do both my Sony cans justice though. But yeah my early impression led me to believe the SE out on my ZxR sounds a little more spacious than even the 4.4 on the ZX300. Which I mean yeah, it’s a portable, a damn good one, but still a portable. Sacrifices will be made.

How would you compare the X7M2 to the 1AM2? I have the 1AM2 and, after 200 hours of breaking them in, am pretty impressed...

Nov 28, 2018 at 10:19 AM Post #400 of 2,453
I'm finding that the better your source and gear, the better the M2 sounds. I guess that means it "scales" well.:eyes:

Nov 28, 2018 at 5:56 PM Post #401 of 2,453
How would you compare the X7M2 to the 1AM2? I have the 1AM2 and, after 200 hours of breaking them in, am pretty impressed...
I’m not very good at “audiophile speak” but I’ll try my best. The Z7M2 is just a better version of the 1AM2. So take the 1AM2, tighten up the bass and make it more accurate. More forward mids and a sparkly treble. It’s a fun headphone just like the 1AM2. Not intended for critical listening. Not analytical. Plus it’s just so damn cool looking! Other have said that the Z7M2 doesn’t have the bass slam that the Z7 did. Well damn the OG Z7 must have been one bass slamming headphone! Because this thing has it in droves.

Nov 28, 2018 at 6:00 PM Post #402 of 2,453
I’m not very good at “audiophile speak” but I’ll try my best. The Z7M2 is just a better version of the 1AM2. So take the 1AM2, tighten up the bass and make it more accurate. More forward mids and a sparkly treble. It’s a fun headphone just like the 1AM2. Not intended for critical listening. Not analytical. Plus it’s just so damn cool looking! Other have said that the Z7M2 doesn’t have the bass slam that the Z7 did. Well damn the OG Z7 must have been one bass slamming headphone! Because this thing has it in droves.
Yep, my mdr-Z7 arrived today, so I could test it with my Pha-3, Damn this is bassy.. I Wanna try the z7m2 :)

Nov 28, 2018 at 8:44 PM Post #403 of 2,453
Yep, my mdr-Z7 arrived today, so I could test it with my Pha-3, Damn this is bassy.. I Wanna try the z7m2 :)

Yep I’ve heard they are pretty amazing when it comes to bass.

Nov 29, 2018 at 3:36 PM Post #405 of 2,453
Sony Mdr-Z7m2 low frequency extension unknown?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back